[Project] The Captain's Private Reserve

By Devilish Ledoux, in Fan Art

Our group has developed a fondness for props. So far, our campaign has spawned deeds to some of our holdings, patents of nobility, ork-teef necklaces and a seal for our Rogue Trader dynasty (we pass it around during combat to represent just who is getting the benefit of the Rogue Trader's leadership bonus.) Our last session, our GM even proffered us with some liquor bottles with custom-made labels. Granted, they were full of ginger ale and root beer, but that's mostly because our GM has learned from bitter experience that mixing alcoholic drinks and expensive gaming materials is a recipe for disaster. Any rate, he went with some themed liquors and the labels were a hoot. (My favorite: Commissar's Choice.)

As our group's Rogue Trader, I thought it would be nice to come up with a fancy themed bottle of my own. It still has bourbon in it, but it's been agreed that it's the Captain's special private reserve, to only be opened on the most special of occasions and, even then, drunk from sparingly.

Since the bottle already had a flash copper horse head stopper, I figured it would be from Attila (I originally liked the idea of it being from Krieg, but I really didn't feel like making a gas mask for the stopper head). Since Attila is basically Planet Mongolia, I went with the Uighur script, which looks a lot like Arabic to me, but okay. Anyway, it gave me an excuse to cover the lablels with script without having to actually write anything pithy. In game terms, "The Emperor might know what it says, but I certainly don't."

Enough with the descriptions; on to the finished product.

k0Vwl.jpg

yjX2R.jpg

After taking these, I touched up the labels a bit, mostly smuding the ink and neatening up some of the trim. I'm typically a complete mess at art projects, but I'm rather proud of how this came out. Thoughts and constructive criticism would be welcome.

Nice ! Can you show us the seal ?

Interesting script for the purity seal.

I'm the GM in the abovementioned campaign. As of this moment the seal is resting on the shelf with my Rogue Trader books. I'll post a photo as soon as I can. For the moment, enjoy these photos of some other props from our campaign.

5388582361_6733767e81_z.jpg

5389190398_d7cb068ed1_z.jpg

5389191890_ba7a13375f_z.jpg

For the curious, the slogan on the bottle reads' "When anything else would be treason!"

Fortinbras said:

Interesting script for the purity seal.

Yeah, I was looking for something that looked handwritten and was at least inspired by early Mongolian (since the bottle is from Attila). As it happens, the Uighur script (which is a close cousin to Arabic) is pretty close to the early Mongolian written language. The font I used is supposed to be the Uighur script, though it looks a lot like Arabic to me. There's a modern Mongolian alphabet/font, but I couldn't find a version that looked hand-written, so I went with this.

The wax stamp for the bottle seal is a fancy drawer knob I found at a hardware store, attached to a wooden dowel cap. It's supposed to represent the seal of my dynasty. I used a different stamp for the purity seal, which was just a cork bottle stopper carved into a fairly crude skull. Mad props to our GM (and his lovely assistant) for posting good photos of the patents of nobility I made them. My only real regret on those is that I didn't use proper sealing wax, making do with a candle instead.

Behold! The seal of the Endris Dynasty.

5393524043_703184197c_z.jpg

And some teef claimed at a trophy of war.

5394122804_399bbb89ef_z.jpg

And what the heck, here's the crew's pet servo skull.

4623009834_2c1cf6ea45.jpg

I really like the patent of title. How'd you get the font for that?

Fortinbras said:

I really like the patent of title. How'd you get the font for that?

The main font is called "Kingthings Spikeless". The font used for the signature is called "Billy Argel Font". They're both available for free, so a Google search should find them easily.

I really like props and used a lot of them in my Warhammer campaign. I think they add a nice element to the game. Thanks for the inspiration.