Runebound extension for Strange Eons - Work In Progress...

By talismanisland, in Runebound

Just as a marker to give it some connection (look and feel) with the base game and expansions.

Plus there are a couple of templates that have a holder for an icon that looks a bit odd blank. I could probably remove those though...

Greetings!

Thanks a lot for this great application, looked for a long time for exactly this!

Now maybe I'm just not doing it correctly, but is it correct that you can't a higher number than 9 for the attributes of any challenges (or any other cards for that matter)? This is defintitely not enough, seeing that even green challenges get higher values than that and red ones go above 20 in some instances.

Would you be able to change this (assuming there is at the moment no way of doing it) and just let us type in a number for all variables (including gold, wounds and stamina)? Would be awesome,

thanks in advance and keep up the great work!

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, the tool is only currently set for a maximum of 9 per attribute, but that can easily be changed OR be added the way you mention by just typing in the numbers. What do you think might be considered a maximum? 30? 25?

I will address that when I am a bit further on with deciding how to address the HUGE amount of card combinations.

Just for information, the folder currently stands at about 31 meg, though it is likely to increase somewhat when I add in the cardbacks that need to be switched 90 degrees for the landscape cards (though I am looking to do it internally through Strange Eons to save space...)

Anyone else have some ideas/requests/etc...??

I can of course only speak for myself, but as I'm a huge fan of epic battles and love to create powerful cards just for the sake of it, I'd definitely prefer the type-in option. Otherwise I'd think 30 should be fine.

Hope you can include this change soon, as there is at the moment no real use in creating any challenge cards, but I don't want you to rush things of course.

Anyway, thanks for considering!

@Jon

Okay, I now follow you on the icons, as to the stat limit above 9...

If you can do double digit, well, I suppose got to 30 for the masochists. gran_risa.gif But personally, I think 20 and change is already overkill. I'd max at 25.

pic865015_md.jpg

Even the Great Cthulhu only goes up to 24!

gran_risa.gif

But Azatoth would need higher numbers!!! :)

Well, looks you will be done rather sooner than later, that's great news!

Heh, well the card is actually from a "Rant" on the old FFG site. It would not take a lot of doing to produce this in SE though.

I will see what I can do over the weekend to bring the tool up to a prerelease stage so that people can try more options.

I still need to think of the best way to deal with some things, but I will get there...

I thought I would just post to say that I am still beavering away with things!

I have more or less everything I want for now and am slowly getting the cards formatted into the tool for use.

The Ally cards are a good example of what can be done and what files are needed to create everything, so I am posting a small sneak of those -

se_allies.jpg

As you can probably make out, there are Allies, Captains, Familiars and cards specific to Sands of Al Kalim, The Frozen Wastes and Mists of Zanaga.

More later in the week...

Looking really good... as usual.

Thanks JC!

Tonight I added in the option of having Legendary Allies, by sticking the Rumour Cost hexagon into the mix (only for The Frozen Wastes template).

se_legendary_ally.jpg

This does make me wonder however about what people think about attribute values, as touched upon recently.

What are your thoughts on maximum values for everything that might be needed?

MInd, Body, Spirit, Ranged, Melee, Magic, Stamina, Life/Wounds, Cost, Rumour Cost... and anything else you can think of?

(Tomorrow... Items!)

se_legendary_item.jpg

Hmm... it seems Items weren't that tricky... Onwards with Heroes...

talismanisland said:

This does make me wonder however about what people think about attribute values, as touched upon recently.

Tonight I added in What are your thoughts on maximum values for everything that might be needed?

MInd, Body, Spirit, Ranged, Melee, Magic, Stamina, Life/Wounds, Cost, Rumour Cost... and anything else you can think of?

Hey mate,

sorry for bringing this up again, but would it be that much of a greater effort to just make the variable fields to "type-in", compared to setting a fixed number? This way it wouldn't matter even if ten people would have ten different thoughts about the maximum number, everyone can just fill-in what they need. For me this way just seems easier, but maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway, cards look great, well done! :-)

In general I'm with Rhuarc, but I can see by looking at the cards that in some areas this is not possible. I'm guessing the Rumor cost number is part of the actual graphic, as I don't think SE can put that control outer glow around numbers. Rumor cost would have to be a selection range if that is the case, based on the graphics variations added to the template.

If fields can be used for some things, then yes they should, but some may also have to be limited for count of digits/characters entered in order for the program to keep from having to work the layout for some numb-nuts trying to enter in a ridiculous number.

All of this is a guess, since I don't know the code side of templates like Jon does.

@ JC

Yes, for now Rumour cost and Cost are images until I can find an acceptable way to do it with a font. I wanted to make the cards look the part as much as possible, though I could always fudge it somehow...

@ Rhuarc

Yes, it would probably be better to have a number entry field as to have a down list 25 items long is a bit of a pain.

@ Anyone

I was asking about acceptable values as for instance, if Magic is never two digits I don't have to worry about the size of the area where the values go on the card.

Cost/Rumour cost I am interested in reducing the number of possible values (currently up to 20), but I am not sure it is necessary to go that high at all.

Oh, and I have now made other Ally cards "legendary" if needed. Though I do not know if this is really necessary. I am trying not to fall into the hole of making all things possible like I did with the Talisman extension. It is now a little unwieldy...

...and here we see the dangers of entering figures yourself! gran_risa.gif

se_arrrrrrgh.jpg

Actually, I am fine with this approach and may even change the cost graphics to actual text.

What I would like (as this way will still offer a few choices in a dropdown box) is to put the minimum and maximum as figures, to give people a clue as to where they should be pitching the attributes...

So, clicking Life might say "1", "9" - Body might say "1", "25" - Cost might say "1", "15" etc. Suggestions for min/max values would be most welcome...

If the values might be different for Challange cards or Allies, then please suggest them by card type.

I guess by the time people turn to create custom cards, they would have played several games already and know what numbers are needed. So in my opinion there is no need for a restriction, but my vote is biased anyway gui%C3%B1o.gif

There will be no restriction, the amounts would be "suggested" minimum/maximum amounts. It would also add a little something to the tool if it was helpful in some way.

That's good approach, but I'm uncertain how you would walk the line between the open and suggestive. So I think we wait and see what you come up with, as you've always managed to do what works well for the majority.

But Rhuarc is right; anyone working with SE and the RB plugin will have already played the game enough to not only know the game but to have hit the boredom wall and want something new. They'll know not only what they want, but hopefully estimate what is functional. And if not, they have your wonderful plugin with which to try again. Let the cards flow!

Work has stalled momentarily, but I shall return to it soon. I keep tinkering, so should be able to get another beta out at some point.

Glad to hear you are still on it, really looking forward to the next release!

Just to bump this with the news that there is no news currently. When I get the chance I will return to this and crank another version out.

Okay, so I had a bit of time tonight and have cobbled together an update for the tool.

You can get the latest version here - http://www.talismanisland.com/Runebound2.seext (9.4 meg)

In this version you have several options for Allies, including the various incarnations of them - Captains, Familiars etc.

I added Silver Events and Encounters.

Items and Allies have an optional Rumour Cost/Difficulty, as brought in with the Frozen Wastes expansion.

You can now specify attribute values, but still have a few options from the drop down lists.

Costs are still hard coded as they use graphics rather than fonts to make the image, though this might change in future.

Oh, and I know that the Hero template for Sands of Al-Kalim is not spaced correctly, but it is a work in progress!

Still to do...

Loads.

I have a folder with 165 different parts of templates, backs and whatever to add to the tool which will give tons of options but they will take time to sort. Not only this but they weigh in at another 20 megs or so...

Please have a go with the tool and let me know what you think and if you have problems or suggestions. I will get the tool sorted, but with a full time job and a life of my own, things can go a bit slowly!

Downloading now. I'm not really an SE user, but I've just gotta check this out.

ADDITIONAL:

Overall, everything looks and works great. I only notice one picky little thing most people might scowl at me for mentioning. All of the cost numbers on the coin should shift to the left about 3 to 5 pixels to center up on that coin ( sonrojado.gif ). Awesome work!

Heh, no bother! I shall get to the nitty gritty stuff when it is all boxed off. I just have to ponder about the range of different card backs and icons in use with the different expansions. Thanks for having a looksee! :)

Just pottering this morning and moved the cost 2 pixels left.

Also added a zero cost option, though I am not sure if this would be useful. But hey...

se_item_cost_0.jpg