New Player

By gmtiberus, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Hi,

I have buy the core set and I was wondering, what are the strength and weakness for each factions. What best combinaison of faction?

Can't recall where I came across these (here or BGG I think), but quick intro into each faction (minus Silver Twilight which is new, but also just plain silly lengua.gif ):

Agency: Wounding, equiping weapons (attachments)
Miskatonic: Card draw, Investigation (scoring lots of succestokens)
Cthulhu: Slow, but strong monsters
Syndicate: Misdirection, disruption and rushing
Hastur: Insanity, cancelling of abilities and events, discard
Yog-Sothoth: Spellcasting, arcane struggles
Shub-Niggurath: Lots of monsters, destruction of support cards

What are the good combinaison of faction? I have seen the World Champion with Agency/Hastur Deck.

I am new to the game myself, and have only bought the core set. My favourite combination so far is Hastur/Cthulhu. I'vre pretty much smoked all my opponents by driving them insane and killing off more or less the rest. Some monsters seem to be pretty slow to get in play, but as long as they're on the board.. well, I've had a lot of fun with them :-)

gmtiberus said:

What are the good combinaison of faction? I have seen the World Champion with Agency/Hastur Deck.

What are the ratio for each card I need to put in a 50 cards deck?

30 Character?

10 Event?

10 Support?

gmtiberus said:

What are the ratio for each card I need to put in a 50 cards deck?

30 Character?

10 Event?

10 Support?

gui%C3%B1o.gif

But having 30 characters is a good starting point. You can get away using fewer and you can definitely use more if you want. It's faction-specific how many events and/or support cards make sense. E.g. Agency is typically heavy on support cards, Hastur and Yog can often rely on using a lot of Events. Note that with certain kinds of decks (discard decks or decks designed to 'survive' an opponent's discard decks) you may want to use a deck with more than 50 cards.

In the Core Set, we have only one copy of each. Where I can have other copy of the cards, except that buying against the core Set?

You only get the cards found in the core set by buying the core set. But buying The Secrets of Arkham will expand your deck-building options quite a bit.

Would you recommend getting a playset of the core set cards? (Eventually.)

I've managed with one core set so far, but I feel it's time to get another. Not sure I actually need three of each, but 2x Cthulhu in my green deck can't hurt (and a few other core-only attachments and events).

CoC is the LCG where I feel most comfortable with one of each pack anyway. Cthulhu isn't strictly necessary because there are so many other ancient ones, for instance :)

What about the other two games? Is a playset of the core game in Warhammer or Game of Thrones preferred/necessary?

As a side note, I'm going to be playing the games casually for now, but I would like to move toward tournament viability as I gain experience. Hence why I have so many questions. I know a lot about game theory in general from playing a wide variety of other games. But it's always difficult for me to crack the deck-building "code," so to speak, of a new game. Especially when I haven't had a chance to play it much yet.

I'm not entirely sure about the other games, as I have little WH:I experience and no AGOT experience, but I would definitely recommend buying 3 core sets if you're wanting to get into the realm of tournament play. There are some cards in the core set that are phenomenal (Victoria Glasser, Sacrificial Offerings, and Paul Lemond come to mind, amongst others) and you'll definitely want 3 of them in your deck.

I think two is really all you need for most of the Core Sets to create a tier 1 deck in the LCG's... but if you want to create a very specific deck, you may want something x3. What we do is usually borrow a card or three before a tournament if it is really only one or two we need a playset of. If you plan on having a tier 1 deck for each faction in each LCG then the case for 3 Core Sets becomes *much* stronger.

Does each faction really have a tier 1 deck right now?

Nope. Not at all. I am looking at you, O'Bannion.

Hellfury said:

Nope. Not at all. I am looking at you, O'Bannion.