Solo Runebound

By Bookwizard, in Runebound

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to play Runebound solo?

I think you could easily play RB solo following the regular rules. If you choose to control only one hero it's mostly just an exercise in killing time, but some people might still have fun that way. You could also do as Dam suggests, playing multiple heroes to see which one comes out on top, and/or using the Threat Track variant to add a timer so there's an actual chance of you "losing."

You could also make a couple simple house rules like "a hero who gets defeated is actually killed and doesn't come back." Then it's a question of whether you can beat the game with at least one hero without befalling too much bad luck. If the threat track idea is too complicated, you could also just play with an egg timer set to two hours or so. Try to win before time runs out.

To me, solo games are fun, but only if there is a chance that someone loses (if pitting 2+ characters against each other) or that the lone character loses (due to death, Threat Track, etc.), as in the game wins. Without those, I don't find any challenge in the games. Playing to beat your previous score isn't really much motivation (which is what people say soloing Eurogames is all about).