[Realm of Ice and Fire] Strange feelings

By PRODIGEE, in CoC Rules Discussion

Guess I'm not the perfect guy to write down this but I'm amazed what I saw yesterday :

First, do you remember Nate's Article on the Old Board called "Polar Opposite". Let me remind you:

" A second, and at first glance un-related option, is to turn your Polar Events into semi-perpetual effects via the Realm of Ice and Death.A good player may be able to deal with a single Polar Mirage, but mirage after mirage, turn after turn, is enough to drive the most stable investigator batty, and the most crazed cultist sane. And it doesn't necessarily stop with a single Polar event... you can put two, three, or more Polar event cards on the Realm of Ice and Death, increasing your tactical options each time, and leaving your opponent guessing. And the fact that you can prevent yourself from winning the Conspiracy by re-triggering the attached Polar events means that they'll be at your disposal as long as you need them."

And guess what ?? I played yesterday with my Polar Hastur deck (which isn't tier 1, I know ....but still fun) and I just remind me the text of the Realm :

" -- Neutral --
Realm of Ice and Death
----------------------
Type : Conspiracy
Coût : 1
Icones : TCAI
Descriptif : After a Polar event is played, attach that card to Realm of Ice and Death. A Polar event card a player owns can be played from Realm of Ice and Death as if it was in that player's hand by removing 1 success token from Realm of Ice and Death as part of the cost of that event.
Flavor text:
Illustrateur : Tim Arney-O'Neil
Info Collectionneur : AMM F20 "

And I discovered that, in fact, this card is the biggest prison for the polar deck ever.

Imagine I'm not the one playing the card + my opponent manage not to let me win tokens on it ... by any means ... I would got screw in the second : Hypothermia and Antartic wind won't work anymore, as there won't be any Polar which goes to my discard pile once realm hit the table.

My opponent can lock my deck down for 2 Polars on 5 , which are the biggest effects both. Only my performance artist would save me once, by selfdestruction, to save one card .

So, this card isn't a powerhouse for me, just a mastertrap for player's who know how to use it.

Weird, isn't it ????

I know what you mean. I was building a Polar deck and thought "oh, what about that polar conspiracy". After re-reading it mostly nerfs 2 of the 4 polar events - I promptly did not add it to my deck... Makes me wonder if there will be more polar that might make that conspiracy more useful in the future.

I think, one( max 2 copies) of this card in polar deck. In polar deck you have about 15 polar event cards. In your discard you need 2-4 and it is ok, if you next play " realm..." .
And this is also story card, if you win this story, all polar events you `ll be have now in your discard pile.

I play " hastur- neutral" polar deck, and you?

I do the same.

You can read my decklist on the thread I created for that.

After playing it a while, it seems like the Realm is now used by my opponents to stop me !!

I have a problem with the text of these card.

What of these options is the correct way of playing a Polar event card attached to Realm of ice an death:

a) You MUST pay almost one succes token as payment of the event.

b) You MUST pay one (and only one) success token as payment of the event.

c) You MAY pay as many succes token as you wish (even zero) as payment of the event.

d) You MAY pay one (but no more) success tokens as payment of the event.

e) Other (please explain it).

Thank you for your help and sorry if my english is not correct.

Ashbless said:

I have a problem with the text of these card.

What of these options is the correct way of playing a Polar event card attached to Realm of ice an death:

a) You MUST pay almost one succes token as payment of the event.

b) You MUST pay one (and only one) success token as payment of the event.

c) You MAY pay as many succes token as you wish (even zero) as payment of the event.

d) You MAY pay one (but no more) success tokens as payment of the event.

e) Other (please explain it).

Thank you for your help and sorry if my english is not correct.

b) You pay 1 token to play it as if it where in your hand.

PRODIGEE said:

" -- Neutral --
Realm of Ice and Death
----------------------
Type : Conspiracy
Coût : 1
Icones : TCAI
Descriptif : After a Polar event is played, attach that card to Realm of Ice and Death. A Polar event card a player owns can be played from Realm of Ice and Death as if it was in that player's hand by removing 1 success token from Realm of Ice and Death as part of the cost of that event.
Flavor text:
Illustrateur : Tim Arney-O'Neil
Info Collectionneur : AMM F20 "

Just to come back on this discussion. The conspiracy mentionned that the polar event must be own by the player to be played with Realm of Ice and Death. Therefore the opponent could not play your polar event attach to the conspiracy right? Yes he could win the story card to cancel the opportunity but even then the attached event would end up in your discard pile boosting Hypothermia or Antartic Wind.

I agre with you, but a good player would'nt win this, in a way to capture your cards.

As long as you play polar from the realm, which got back to the realm once you play it, there's a kind of loop which generate the incapacity to play Hypodermya or so ... The opponent just need to block you for the skill struggle and he's got a huge capacity of blocking your deck !