Couple Questions

By player928348, in WFRP Gamemasters

I have been eyeballing Warhammer Fantasy RPG and Anima lately. Been trying to read up on the systems and see if it would be worth my family's time. Can Warhammer RPG be played with a GM and 2 players? Better question is how well does it play with 1 GM and 2 players? I noticed while looking through the product line that there's the $99.99 core set and then there's individual books for both players and GM and additional vaults. Money isn't that much of an issue so is it worth it to get the core set and the guides and vaults or would it be better to just get the guides and vaults and hold off on the core set if the information will be redundant? Relating to my first question, can The Gathering Storm be played with 1 GM and 2 players all beginners? Any other information about the game is welcome. Thanks.

Can Warhammer RPG be played with a GM and 2 players?

Yes

Better question is how well does it play with 1 GM and 2 players?

We have played it with between 3 and 5 players plus GM. The core set with all its cards will comfortably support a GM and 2 players, so the question of how well depends on the kind of game you would be looking to play. Do you/have you played other RPGs with that number of players? did it work, if not why not?

I don't think there is anything specifically in WFRP that means it would not work well with only two player. The adventures would need to be tailored to that number (certainly if you were going to use a ready made one, you might need to reduce the enemy count slightly, but most ready made ones comes with info and suggestions on how to tailor it to differing numbers of players anyway). If anything WFRP would suit that number well, as once you start to increase numbers byoend 4 and 5, things like dice, cards and table space all become things in short supply which in some instances can make the game run slower or less smoothly.

is it worth it to get the core set and the guides and vaults or would it be better to just get the guides and vaults and hold off on the core set if the information will be redundant?

The core set isn't made redundant by the guides and vault; the players guide has only a small amount of updated info on the core set, and most of that is in the FAQ already. If money really isn't an object then you could buy the guides and vaults and you'd end up with pretty much the same amount of stuff, except you'd need to get a few dice sets as well as the core set contains a LOT of dice (although ironically with only 3 players, dice might not be a main consideration, but you can never have too many dice..)

The players guide might still be a good purchase even if you get the core set, as it is a good reference guide BUT understand that it is primarily a re-sell of the information already in the core set; they is very little new data. (I bought it anyway though!)

Likewise the GMs guide is mostly info from the core set; i don't have it and don't intend to buy it, but i get the impression its been made predominantly for new GMs, and has addtional info and guidance on how to run the game, so depending on your experience it might be a good product? its really difficult to comment without knowing your previous experience or indeed owning it myself.

If you do get the core set, then with your group of 3 you wouldn't need the GM or players vaults. The core set would have plenty for you

Creature guide/vault is a worhwhile purchase with or without core set. they both contain new info and add to the line nicely, although if you only wanted to, you could get the vault only initially, and use the cards from that to back up the creatures from the core set (and get the creature guide once you have had a bit of experience and want to expand you creature listings...)

Can the Gathering Storm be played with 1 GM and 2 players all beginners?

Yes certainly it can. As i mentioned you might want to consider toning down some of the enemy groups (especially in the first chapter) but the book does have a few pointers on that included.

Would be good to know previous experience of the group of 3 etc.....might be easier to then help decide on reccomedations about core ste vs vaults/guides etc...

Ah, just re-read your last question and caught the "all beginners" comment.

The adventure that comes with the core set (and GMs guide) is a good one to run for beginners. The Gather Storm is quite well written and has plenty of info to guide a new GM through running it, so i'd say that would also work well with beginners BUT if you are really new to the game/hobby, initially (before perhaps even the adventure from the core set) you take a look at some of the demo adventures available on the web site.. a day late, a schilling short for example.

This is a relatively short, relatively light weight adventure than comes with pre-built PCS that you can use to try the system out for the first time without having to worry about character creation or dying etc...! it will give your two players a chance to try a few things get used to the rules and not worry too much if they don't succeed, as long as you make that clear to them. Enemies may still need to be toned down, and i don't fancy their chances against the wargar at the end, but I'd certainly reccomend starting there.....

Excellent, thank you for your very informative reply. Sounds like I may have to pick up the core set. The players would be my wife and son (11) and I would GM. I have experience as a casual player of various rpgs and have only recently started running the games. D&D Essentials line was the perfect system to get my wife and son into RPGs. Prior to Essentials, my wife was always turned off by the amount of reading required and time investment into creating characters. After Essentials, she's having a blast and is willing to expand into RPGs with more customization. D&D is fun with them, but I truly believe the only way to really enjoy it is to have 4 players + 1 DM so at the moment it's only semi-enjoyable (to me). She and I have played Warhammer Fantasy tabletop game for years (me more so) and I think it would be a smooth transition.

character creation is really quick with WFRP and very little reading or remembering of rules (for players at least) is needed as most are on the cards in front of you.

I think you'll have a great time. Welcome aboard!

If it's not too late to respond to this thread, I'd recommend the core set, creature vault and creature guide. If either of your family members want to be a wizard or priest, pick up the Winds of Magic/Signs of Faith (or whatever that expansion is called). This is a comfortable amount of material, and will get you started in the right direction. Then find out if you like the game, then invest further.

Good luck,

Kevin.