41. Transport Gem timing

By Corbon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark FAQ Update Discussions

Background:
The OL upgrade card "Transport Gem" says: Place this card in the graveyard to move one of your lieutenants to any legal location on the Terrinoth map, one time. Any Quest Items that the lieutenant may have been carrying are left behind.

So when can you do this? Any Time? During the Heroes turn (step 4) - the Ol could move a Lt to reinforce a dungeon the heroes entered. During the OL's Turn (Step 3) - only before, only after, or either before or after that particular Lt takes their game week action? It can make a big difference...

Question:
Q: When exactly is the OL allowed to play and execute the Transport Gem card, and what consequences does this have on the associated game mechanics (Lieutenant orders, Lieutenant reinforcing a nearby dungeon, Lieutenant being on a city with sufficient siege tokens to grant a raze roll at the start of the OL´s game week)?
A1. The OL may play this card at any point in the game, during his game week or during the heros´ game week. If the heros are currently in a dungeon on or near the new Lt. location, the OL may immediately receive and use the reinforcement brought by the Lieutenant (Power card or extra threat tokens).
A2. The OL may play this card at any point in the game, during his game week or during the heros´ game week. If the heros are currently in a dungeon on or near the new Lt. location, the OL does not receive the reinforcement normally brought by the Lieutenant, since this is normally applied only when the heros are entering a dungeon.
A3. The OL may play this card at any point in the game during which the hero party marker is on the overland map (heros´ game week or OL game week). Once the heros have entered a dungeon, the card cannot be played in their game week.
A4. The OL may play this card at any point in his own game week only, but even before checking for a raze roll. Lieutenant orders are not affected in any way by this card and can be issued as normal, including to the Transported Lieutenant.
A5. The OL may play this card when he issues a "Move" order to a Lieutenant, thus enhancing and replacing that order. The Transported Lieutenant may not be issued another order in the same game week, but he can attack a hero party on his new location as normal.
A6. The OL may play this card when he issues a "Move" order to a Lieutenant, thus enhancing and replacing that order. The Transported Lieutenant may not be issued another order in the same game week, and he may not attack a hero party on his new location.
A7. Something else?

As i recall there is a rumor that does the same thing. What are the rules for that one? I would guess the same mechanics would apply for this one. But it is quite a valid question with multiple answers.

The movement of the hero party marker does not have as many possible consequences as the movement of Lieutenants, so there would be much fewer answer options I guess. It also depends on the exact wording of the reward, which I cannot access at the moment.

It may be a good idea to coment about the "Tamalir Rush" strategy (or something that looks like that) on the background. You know the strategy in which the OL uses his 15 free XP at the begining to get 'that' card and puts the Sir Alric on Tamalir at the very begining. The timing would mean one week more or less in the heroes desperate run to get prepared to face him.

Galvancito1 said:

It may be a good idea to coment about the "Tamalir Rush" strategy (or something that looks like that) on the background. You know the strategy in which the OL uses his 15 free XP at the begining to get 'that' card and puts the Sir Alric on Tamalir at the very begining. The timing would mean one week more or less in the heroes desperate run to get prepared to face him.

Why? It is just a strategy. It isn't particularly unbalanced - it isn't even a particualarly good strategy.. Competent hero parties can deal with it, and may even gain an advantage if they blitz well for a few weeks and then can hit Alric before he has upgraded any monsters.

Drglord said:

As i recall there is a rumor that does the same thing. What are the rules for that one? I would guess the same mechanics would apply for this one. But it is quite a valid question with multiple answers.

I checked the Rumor reward. The heros may use this card instead of their normal movement, so no clarification is needed for that.

Corbon said:

Why? It is just a strategy. It isn't particularly unbalanced - it isn't even a particualarly good strategy.. Competent hero parties can deal with it, and may even gain an advantage if they blitz well for a few weeks and then can hit Alric before he has upgraded any monsters.

I think you got me wrong. I'm not claiming it to be unbalanced. I just thought that it was a good example of where the timing of the transport gem card is important. Depending on the answer the heros will have either 2 or 3 weeks to prepare themselves. In sush a short time, one week more or one week less is a big difference. But if you think it is unnecessary, that's ok.