reprint questions

By warpish, in Cosmic Encounter

Does anyone know if FFG is planning on fixing some of the errata in the reprint? Will they update the Macron, Spiff, Warrior, Mind flare, switch artwork for Virus and Zombie, etc.

Also, I wonder if the backs of the cards will be slightly lighter to match the backs of the expansions better.

Errata fixes would be a fine idea, but I doubt they'll do anything to "correct" the colors. Printing is not a 100% exact color science (I don't even think there is an exact color science- I may have just made that up). So, you are going to get very subtle variations with every printing. If they tried to fix it one way, it would likely end up being too light, and then people would complain that the edition is wrong and the expansions were right. Or something.

Printing is an exact color science. It's very important for trade mark and trade dress. The most famous company is Pantone. You can go to their sitePantone.com or read about them at Wikipedia.

Printers wish they could get a 100% exact duplicate print every single time, but they don't. I have hundreds of things printed from various print companies... playing cards, business cards, post cards, Christmas cards, shirts, flyers, banners, brochures, game tiles, game boards, boxes, blah blah blah.

There is very slight variation in the colors on every single product I've ever had reprinted. Sometimes it turns out just right. Sometimes there are variations within a single print.

Pantone is a great thing. Back in my days working for a small copy & print shop, we relied on their guides for color matching. In application, many factors can affect the final output the condition of the printing press, the paper used, the skill of the operators. If any of these things aren't right, then the final output won't be right. Like with so many things, it's often more important to the printer to get it done fast & cheap rather to get it done right.

I suspect that if gamers were willing to put up with higher price points, they'd get more consistent quality in printing, etc. But they aren't, so this is what we get.

I'm an old gamer from the original KingMaker Squad Leader world. I'm a little confused about this reprint business. Am I right in this? Cosmic Encounter was reissued by FFG in 2008. They have since run out. No one knows when they are going to get it reprinted. But they do have an expansion coming out soon.

I need the base came before I can, or want to, buy an expansion. I don't quite get this business model.

The Old Man said:

I'm an old gamer from the original KingMaker Squad Leader world. I'm a little confused about this reprint business. Am I right in this? Cosmic Encounter was reissued by FFG in 2008. They have since run out. No one knows when they are going to get it reprinted. But they do have an expansion coming out soon.

I need the base came before I can, or want to, buy an expansion. I don't quite get this business model.

quite same question bothering me.

I still so far played only base game at my friends place. But now im thinking buying base game and two expansions ( i was waiting for cc soo long) but now base game is gone and i dont find where i could check the expected dates.

Anyone knows maybe?

Thanks.

If I remember correctly, a reprint is due sometime this spring.

I read April as an estimate somewhere. I can't wait :(

Interesting. I've been checking for news of the reprint being shipped every day for a while, hope the new box art is killer!