The Cape

By Kennon, in 8. AGoT Off Topic

So.... I haven't really been looking at the off topic boards for quiet awhile, but I watched The Cape last night. I missed about half of the second hour due to a phone call, but in general it seemed like a pretty awesome show able to take itself just seriously enough.

I thought it was pretty good. Other than the "spidersilk" thing, it also seemed interesting in that the "powers" were training based on carnival acts (escape artist, disappearing illusions, knife throwing, etc.). Some things seem predictable bordering on formulaic (Prediction of Obvious #1: Orwell is Chess's daughter), but the mix of Batman and Spiderman elements was entertaining.

The part I wasn't happy with, especially in the "second storyline" of the premiere, is that because the villain is in charge of the police force, there doesn't seem to be any outlet for actual justice. (He left the poisoner trussed up on the table rather than turning him over to the police or anything like that.) It'll be interesting to see how that evolves with his wife taking the lawyer job. (Did I get that she was going to be a public defender, potentially furthering the "upside down" nature of the "criminals in charge" premise?)

I'm enjoying "No Ordinary Family" more, but I'd agree that "The Cape" has potential.

I liked it. I think the hero got his ass kicked alittle too much though.

They could have spent a bit more time conveying his extensive training.

I loved the midget with the wrench scene.

I fell asleep. then deleted it from my dvr....

Ktom, I haven't seen any of No Ordinary Family. It was announced too close to the demise of the atrocity that Heroes became so I kind of wrote it off. So you'd recommend it?

Kennon said:

Ktom, I haven't seen any of No Ordinary Family. It was announced too close to the demise of the atrocity that Heroes became so I kind of wrote it off. So you'd recommend it?

What I like about it is that it really looks at the family and the family dynamics - of which the powers are only a part. And what the people decide to do with their powers is generally so much more realistic than the usual "I have powers; I must be a superhero or super villain" thing you usually see. For example, the kid who gets the super brain doesn't say he's got superpowers, but lets his parents think it's extra studying that is finally pulling his math grade up. The show also doesn't take the super hero thing too seriously, managing to poke fun at itself with various comic book references and such.

And, of course, there is the obligatory "shadowy conspiracy understory" going on in the background, a'la X-Files. The show kind of strikes me as a cross between The Incredibles and Pretender (mixing media there, I know). So more of an adventure drama than a superhero show.

Oh man, you got me right there with the comparision to The Pretender. One of my all time favorite shows right there. I actually just rewatched the first few episodes on Hulu a couple weeks ago.

ktom said:

Kennon said:

And, of course, there is the obligatory "shadowy conspiracy understory" going on in the background, a'la X-Files. The show kind of strikes me as a cross between The Incredibles and Pretender (mixing media there, I know). So more of an adventure drama than a superhero show.

But despite that it's one of the most enjoyable superhero shows on telly, along with The Cape :)

No Ordinary Family seems to be teen-targeted. The Cape I'm not sure of yet, but it's fun pulp.