Do hill crests block cavalry charges up or down the hill?

By Newman55f9, in Battles of Napoleon

Do crests block up hill or down hill charges? The rules are somewhat vague about this and I do not know how steep these crests are supposed to be.

I didn't see nothing about this in the rules. (I know that cavalry were unlikely to charge downhill. I think there should be a house rule about that.)

Newman55f9 said:

Do crests block up hill or down hill charges? The rules are somewhat vague about this and I do not know how steep these crests are supposed to be.

I asked the question to a person demonstrating the game at a convention, and he said it was allowed to charge across crests.

Just remember to do the +1 for downhill or -1 for uphill melee.

Just remember to do the +1 for downhill or -1 for uphill melee.

Sorry Guys, I'm a bit confusing ...

Cavalry charge must be done on open terrain and Crest hexside is not classified as open terrain for me.

Newman55f9 said:

If your unit can Fire, you can Fire across a hill Crest. The one on top gets +1, the one on the bottom gets -1

If your unit can Melee, you can Melee across a hill Crest. The one on top gets +1, the one on the bottom gets -1

Cavalry cannot Charge across a hill Crest. Cavalry can only Charge across Open terrain. Remember that usually the Charge involves a one-hex move.

Cavalry can melee on a hill Crest...! demonio.gif

Any subsequent Crest hexes block line of sight - this means you cannot shoot (Fire) at those units in other Crests directly adjacent (for instance, with Artillery).

Remember that infantry cannot Melee vs cavalry under any circumstances. They can Fire at the cavalry tho'. gran_risa.gif

HtH

L

Cavalry can cross (and charge) through a crest hexside and move (or charge) into an open (flat terrain) hexagon.

Crests, hedges, fences are hexsides between two hex. You cannot charge, for example, through a hedge (or crest) into a wood (or village)

Sergio G