My First Investigator: The Butcher

By RocksLikeToast, in Fan Creations

hey just made my first custom investigator...haven't played with him yet... need to see if his ability or starting items are too powerful.... i tried NOT to reach his $25 limit in strange eons and took a few $ worth away because he seemed to be getting too much... lemme know what you guys think... or if you can think of a better way to word his ability text that would be great thanks. happy.gif

Ralphie-Moretti-Front-Face.jpg

I like the idea a lot, and it's also kind of disturbing in a fun way to think of him cooking up the monsters for nourishment. But I think I would limit it so that the toughness spent equals the number of sanity/stamina you gained, total. So for example, by spending a monster trophy worth 3 toughness you could gain 2 Sanity and 1 Stamina, or 3 Stamina, etc. I think it may be a bit overpowered, otherwise.

As for the wording (based on my suggested change), how about...

Upkeep: Ralphie may choose to spend one monster trophy, once per turn, to restore his Sanity and/or Stamina. He may restore 1 Sanity or Stamina per the toughness of the trophy spent. (For example, by spending a monster trophy worth 2 toughness Ralphie could restore 2 Sanity, 2 Stamina, or 1 Sanity and 1 Stamina).

I think Veet's the guy on top of the wording, so he may have a better suggestion. And that's assuming you like the change of the ability. But that's what I would want it to be to play that character. Really great job, though, in general, and the picture is good, too. I'm not sure about "Ralphie", though. I understand it could fit as the nickname for a guy like that... but it also sounds babyish and reminds me of the kid from A Christmas Story. Maybe just "Ralph"?

Hey guys, I just made a few investigators of my own (eon files) and how do I post them to the forum? I haven't figured it out yet.

yeah, i did originally split the toughness points rather than allowing both sanity and stamina to be restored simultaneously, but then i went for it anyways. now i kinda see how that ability could be a little too powerful, especially since the character can potentially be a monster killing machine given the right weapon....then he could just kill and heal at will. I changed it back...and i used your wording, if you don't mind....sounds good to me!

oh, and nice investigator by the way. It is true tat he might end up a monster-killing machine, but then again, he is a straightup butcher lol

so i nerfed his ability and gave him an extra common item to fill out his $25.... i'm a little confused with the Strange Eons calculations on monster trophies...what does it mean that its value is ($5/3)? when i click it sometimes it values them as $1 or $2...seems kinda random...

Ralphie-Moretti-Front-Face-1.jpg

just finished my first game with Raplhie...he worked out really well imho... didn't seem too overpowered... the monster trophy i drew to start was a cthonian which i spent later in the game for 2 sanity and a stamina...but it was the only monster i consumed during the game...he seemed pretty on par with Mike Mcglenn otherwise except he doesnt start off with a beefy weapon...

The game itself didnt end up so well...it was just a 2 player game using Dunwich, Dark Pharaoh, and Black Goat...i was Ralphie and my g/f was Marie Lambeau against Abhoth...things started off quickly with us geting some quick clue tokens and us each sealing a gate... then in a lucky turn of events I gained the detriment that reduces movement by 1...which made me stop at the train station rather than pay to go through...my encounter allowed me to move to anywhere so i moved to a gate and on my OW encounter i passed right back through the gate and on the following turn sealed gate #3...thats when the crap hit the fan and the game took over... a gate burst took one of the seals and then some monster surges with Abhoths Spawn monsters already on the board made his doom track rise way too fast...so in a last ditch effort Marie Called Ancient one and started him at 9 doom tokens...i had just aquired the Elephant Gun and would be able to survive 3 turns with $6 but some poor rolls and it was over with 2 doom tokens remaining...

fun game and i'm happy the way Ralphie turned out...he seemed decently balanced and fits pretty well in the AH universe...i originally was making him a Cook or Chef but i couldn't find a picture I liked...but i'm glad i didn't because i was unaware there was already one in Insmouth. Anyways... if anyone gives him a try let me know how it goes. happy.gif

My take on this is:

He's a butcher, cutting up the monsters into meat right? Food would only equate to a stamina recovery.

To compensate for the 'loss' of recovering sanity I would replace the knife with the axe.

Krawhitham said:

My take on this is:

He's a butcher, cutting up the monsters into meat right? Food would only equate to a stamina recovery.

To compensate for the 'loss' of recovering sanity I would replace the knife with the axe.

Ah, but you're assuming he's not so crazy that killing and eating his dead enemies makes him more sane ;'D

I thought it was a balanced creation. And the picture was nice. If I printed out custom investigators, I would print out this one ;')

Avi_dreader said:

Krawhitham said:

My take on this is:

Ah, but you're assuming he's not so crazy that killing and eating his dead enemies makes him more sane ;'D

I thought it was a balanced creation. And the picture was nice. If I printed out custom investigators, I would print out this one ;')

That was my thought, too... Yes, "Food" in AH specifically targets Stamina, but a lot of times, food is "comfort food" and helps people to feel good. And for this character, I think that's likely to be the case. He derives particular enjoyment from devouring the monsters he kills. Also, just for sake of gameplay, the ability wouldn't be that great if it just targeted Stamina.

I was going to question his Fight being raised to 6 (it was only 5 or 4 previously, right?), but that's probably okay. Still, I might his Lore or Luck to 3 to offset that a little more.

A well-thought out investigator! Not only is the concept original, it's also not overpowered nor too weak. Nice pic too!

Oh, that reminds me, you should track down the investigators thread and post it there (it probably can't be buried more than 3 or 4 pages back).

ok well while i liked him mostly i wanted him to have a better starting weapon so i made him a Meat Cleaver and reduced his base fight to 5...he also starts off with one less random common item and 1 higher focus.... also after reading Y' Gollanacs AO it helped me reword his main ability without needing the explanation and added a 2nd ability borrowing the text from Luke's Gate Box. Lemme know if you like the changes or not. happy.gif

Meat-Cleaver-Front-Face.jpg

Ralphie-Moretti-Front-Face.jpg