Fan Fiction based on the game

By H.P. Lovecraft2, in Fan Creations

I was thinking of writing some stories based on the game, so I've started filming myself playing the Arkham Horror, mainly to work out the mistakes I make while playing, seeing as I've only played 4 games so far. Doing this gave me the idea to use the game play as inspiration for some fan fiction. Basically it would involved interpreting the playing of the game into a story format, complete with any mistakes (which would also be worked into the storyline). Its along the same lines as to what the game does as you play it, but this would simply pad out the rest of the story that is unfolding in the actually game play. I use to write stories based on the works of Lovecraft when I was younger, their all gone now unfortunately.

So is this Incredibly Geeky or what? Maybe, but could be cool, these stories would of course only be available for members of the forum to read, if any would be interested that is :)

Is there any such thing as "too geeky"?

Alex

Geekiness is in the eye of the beholder my friend cool.gif

H.P. Lovecraft said:

I was thinking of writing some stories based on the game, so I've started filming myself playing the Arkham Horror, mainly to work out the mistakes I make while playing, seeing as I've only played 4 games so far. Doing this gave me the idea to use the game play as inspiration for some fan fiction. Basically it would involved interpreting the playing of the game into a story format, complete with any mistakes (which would also be worked into the storyline). Its along the same lines as to what the game does as you play it, but this would simply pad out the rest of the story that is unfolding in the actually game play. I use to write stories based on the works of Lovecraft when I was younger, their all gone now unfortunately.

So is this Incredibly Geeky or what? Maybe, but could be cool, these stories would of course only be available for members of the forum to read, if any would be interested that is :)

I would be definitely interested to read a story based on an actual game session! That would be awesome.

Personally, I believe there's no limit to how geeky you can go gran_risa.gif

casebooks may be more story oriented than "normal" games.

Nothing better than case books for this game (on my opinion)

What are they? happy.gif

H.P. Lovecraft said:

What are they? happy.gif

Follow the link Amikezor pointed you out :-) it's a great site :-)

I dont think that would be good right now, maybe after Im more familiar with playing the game. Very cool......Too much work though. gran_risa.gif

Well I just started doing some research for my first gameplay-based fan fiction for Arkham Horror. Right now Im researching Shub Niggurath, I want to try and stick to Lovecraft's fiction as he intended, without influence from other sources, as much as I can. The problem here being that Lovecraft himself never actually describes Shub Niggurath.

Fan fiction? Sure, why not.

Once upon a time, there were some very nice people. And no one ever saw them again. The End.

avec said:

Fan fiction? Sure, why not.

Once upon a time, there were some very nice people. And no one ever saw them again. The End.

::Laughter::

Use the game as a narrative device to reflect the world outside the game. So downstairs in the basement the players are gaming, meanwhile upstairs the world is falling to pieces. Alternatively, play it for laughs so Mum becomes the Anceint One, Uncle Ivan beomes the King in Yellow, etc.

My mythos beings, chart version 1.0

Azathoth
|
__________________________________ _________________________________
| | |
| |
Yog-Sothoth

"Universal Boundry"

Nyarlathotep Shub-Niggurath

| |

__________________________________ _________________________________
|
"Universe"

Cthulhu (23rd Nebula 3,260 light years away)

|

Hastur Yig
| |

Ithaqua

THE ANCIENT ONES

I've actually started doing that. I turn game notes like this:

Mythos -- An evil fog. Jack gets another clue. Gate opens at graveyard, monster surge.

Movement -- Jack meets Bob at Rivertown. Jack finds a clue at Hibb’s Roadhouse. Bob investigates at the graveyard and finds 2 warlocks. Kills it. Gains 4 clue tokens. Mandy goes to the woods and meets a Ghoul. She immediately blasts it with a shotgun.

Into:

[From Bob's POV]

As I leave the General Store and head out to the Rivertown Street, I met someone in an Indiana Jones costume, complete with a bullwhip and a .38 running around. When he saw the glowing blue chalk the old shop keeper gave me, he walked towards me.

“You have an Elder Sign,” he said.

“A what?” I asked.

“You’re the chosen one,” he said.

“Who?” I asked.

He tried to walk closer.

“Don’t come any closer,” I said.

From a distance, he told me that he was Monterey Jack, a treasure hunter. He started talking about destiny, cultists who murdered his father, and all that jazz. He even took the arm of the cultist I shot earlier and showed me a tattoo symbol. He said that there’s a conspiracy going on a secret organization is trying to wake an Ancient God.

I told him I wasn’t much of a religious man and I didn’t believe in gods. He offered to help me in my “quest” and gave me some holy water, “to destroy evil horrors,” he said. I wouldn’t believe him so he poured a little on the dead cultist and it burst into flames.

I said, “No thanks.”

I didn’t want to handle homemade explosives in Catholic containers. I made my way to the graveyard and found two warlocks trying to raise the dead. A security officer tries to stop them, but they cast a spell of some sort to make him choke and die. These people don’t mess around. They see you, they kill you. So, the best course of action, I figured, was to shoot them before they see me.

Blam! Blam!

I reflect on the recent events and wonder whether I should be more affected by all that’s going on. But, I’m not. At most, this will sound a bit morbid, but I’m moderately amused. I feel like I’ve been liberated from a spell that has bound me for years – my organizer. Now, I’m free of it and everything is so different.

I move towards the warlocks and discover clues about what’s going on in the city. They were not trying to raise the dead. I realized that they were trying to open a portal. I realized too that if one walked close to a portal, that the portal would suck you in and take you to another dimension.

Here's the link to my blog: http://arkhamtales.blogspot.com

Please drop by and leave comments. Cheers!