Expanding the base set -- what is your approach?

By Shrapnelsmile, in Dust Tactics

Greets all,

I'm picking up the base set from my FLGS in a week. They do have the current unit expansions, two for each army respectively in stock as well. It is my understanding, and theirs, that these current 4 boxes are the same units that come in the Dust Tactics box.

What is your approach when it comes to expanding from the base set:

A.) buy one or more of each unit box set that is currently out, even though they are the same figures that come in the base set, as they are a foundation and will be needed.

B.) simply purchase two base sets -- it is a better value

C.) after purchasing the base set you are waiting for more options to come out, as they will be desired for variety more than picking up units that we already have. You are probably not getting the first wave of 4 boxes.

Some feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I purchased 2 boxed sets and replaced the ammo crates and tank traps with paper terrain I got from the Board Game Geek . I will probably buy Operation Cyclone just for the tiles and will definitely get the walker and command squads when they become available..

I bought the Deluxe edition at GENCON, then picked up a unpainted base set, I wanted the tiles and I figured I could paint the miniatures. I have bought all of the expansion sets so far because i want to increase my army further. I really like two base sets for additional tiles. Now an expansion is coming out with additional tiles, but I dont like to wait.

I hadn't considered any option but buying the expansion sets, but the idea of two starter sets is brilliant. Going to my FLGS this coming friday to get the other box before it disapears! lol.

I'm trying to space out my spending a bit as I went a bit crazy on buying miniatures after Christmas, so I'm just getting 2 of the new unit expansions, the gunners and battle grenadiers. Partly because they seem to be the basic, all round squads, but mostly because they come with the extra mini/card to try out the other configurations.

For now, I plan to get the expansions which bring new units to the game, but in the future, as the choice becomes wider, and I get more of a feel for the background of the game, I will probably start picking up units for specific thematically driven forces.

I already like the idea of a high-tech, all laser axis force, so I may try getting more laser grenadiers when they come out, but will likely wait until the Wotan laser-bot comes out to see if that force would work first.

I got an unpainted set last fall when it first came out. My wife bought me another unpainted set for Christmas. Sometime this month I'll pick up both of the unpainted "bot hunter" and "tank Killer" expansions. I'll also pick up cyclone, and one each of the unpainted tank expansions when they come out.

babalbin said:

I hadn't considered any option but buying the expansion sets, but the idea of two starter sets is brilliant. Going to my FLGS this coming friday to get the other box before it disapears! lol.

Yes, two starters is a great deal if you want to throw down massive, epic battles anyway.

Keep in mind, however, that I learned the two $20 MSRP squad expansions that are currently out are a bit different from what is in the box. They have one extra figure each and a 2nd card for flexibility.

Shrapnelsmile said:

babalbin said:

Yes, two starters is a great deal if you want to throw down massive, epic battles anyway.

Keep in mind, however, that I learned the two $20 MSRP squad expansions that are currently out are a bit different from what is in the box. They have one extra figure each and a 2nd card for flexibility.

Are those cards available elsewhere? how about the mini?

babalbin said:

Shrapnelsmile said:

babalbin said:

Are those cards available elsewhere? how about the mini?

Supposedly not, unfortunately. As to if they are worth the money (for the increased squad) I don't know. I would like a second starter instead, but want tactical options as well. Especially if that particular release is going to be the only way to get them.

I wish there was more discussion of game mechanics on this forum.

Shrapnelsmile said:

Supposedly not, unfortunately. As to if they are worth the money (for the increased squad) I don't know. I would like a second starter instead, but want tactical options as well. Especially if that particular release is going to be the only way to get them.

I'll tell ya what, I'll get my second starter next week AND the two expansions. I'll play a few games and will let you know my thoughts about the tactical options they introduce. Nothing beats "doing" to make a wish come true!

Babalbin

babalbin said:

Shrapnelsmile said:

I'll tell ya what, I'll get my second starter next week AND the two expansions. I'll play a few games and will let you know my thoughts about the tactical options they introduce. Nothing beats "doing" to make a wish come true!

Babalbin

This, good sir, sounds like a plan!

and I love your ability to rationalize mass game fundage LOL

Shrapnelsmile said:

...and I love your ability to rationalize mass game fundage LOL

No half measures here! LOL. A friend of mine and I are already making plans for running a massive battle at the FLGS. I would like to create some terrain to use instead of the tiles though...

babalbin said:

Shrapnelsmile said:

...and I love your ability to rationalize mass game fundage LOL

No half measures here! LOL. A friend of mine and I are already making plans for running a massive battle at the FLGS. I would like to create some terrain to use instead of the tiles though...

Yeah the Tiles are helpful for jumping in new gamers or when playing with someone who prefers them, but we are going to make free measure rules if they don't appear soon. We will simply juxtapose and modify when they do, based on FFG's intent and play testing.

It's all about terrain, table-top aesthetics with mini games like this in our club.

I am picking up some AT-43 Red Blok for Russians. These will be pretty easy to stat up. I have been reading the Dust Wars comics, so I have to give some Russians a go.

I have seen that they will be coming out with Zombies and Apes for Dust Tactics. Can not wait to pick those up. In the mean time AT-43 Oni Zombies and Apes will be perfect substitutes.

MiniatureReview said:

I have seen that they will be coming out with Zombies and Apes for Dust Tactics.

Cite your reference sir!!! I need to see this!

OHHHHHhhh, how I hate thee FFG!!! Thou hast drained all my disposable income for decades to come!!!

Producing pictures early, and detailing all the expansions has generated a lot of confidence in the game in this area.

Looking forward to the game play / battle report covering two starter boxes + expansion units.

I'll have one box next week and the new unit boxes this Friday.

I haven't seen these pics yet so thanks for sharing. I would imagine that these are going to come after the 2nd expansion or at least the 2nd one sounds like the story from the first comic series. This has made my day. I hope this game stays strong and does not die out. I have been trying to build some intrest in the game around my store but there does not seem to be any poster or promo things around the local shop to help spark intrest. I will keep trying though.

Your store should be able to order a demo copy of the game to spark some interest. My store also has a large stand-up poster for the game. They also got a limited edition walker which is on display.

My FLGS did get the promo walker and they gave it to me since I was trying to build hype around it since GenCon. But I don't think they got a demo set or a standee, but I will talk to them about it next time i am in there. Do you know whether or not they have to talk to FFG about this or the distributer which I think is Alliance.

My first three games were fast, furious and fun. In the last mission we played the U.S. had to capture the three objectives. one man standing scooped up the last two, with the rest of the battlefield reflecting absolute carnage. My opponent and I had a great time.

Unusual deployment options, stategic missions or objectives and a bit of a creative twist devised by your game clubs will keep this system fresh for a long time I think, especially with the regular release of expansions.

This is how we are considering splitting up the 2nd Blue Thunder box:

one US Robot each

one German Robot each

For Steve:

Two US squads (as my friend focuses on them) and one German Squad

For Me:

U.S. Shotgun Squad, and two Germans squads including Lasers.

5 Tiles for one, 4 tiles for the other, with the shortchanged partner getting the 2nd rule book.

Splitting dice and obstacles evenly.

That's a huge amount of additional balanced forces each, with a preference to our preferred nations, for about $32 each.

In addition, we each picked up the expansion squads with the additional figure, affording us quite large battles on a 4 x 4 board as we jump friends into the game, he in the south valley and myself in central / north

Painting and displaying extra heroes for the Crazy Squirrel Game Store display case.

Good times. How are all of you beefing up your forces? Anyone splitting them in a similar fashion?

Awesome stuff sir. I can't wait for these to come out...

Splitting them sounds like the most logical thing to do.

I am contemplating investing in the game, just waiting to see how it goes over the next couple of months before I commit. First round of public job cuts here in the uk sliced so close I felt the breeze of the blade swooping inches from my derrier.

Anyway, I would be more likely to go for a sort of 'half' set or army box as one guy at our club has the boxed set and whilst more tiles could be good we also have someone at the club who has access to a printing company and could easily photo-shop some more from scratch.

With most games I like to collect one faction rather than several. Developing it over time. Still deciding on what to go for, am liking the Germans at the moment.