Puzzles

By Old Dwarf, in Mansions of Madness

Well the new NEWS Item is interesting & explains at least how one type of puzzle works.It doesn't look like a time killer & I like how it ties the Inv. Intellect stat into the solution.Not sure how much this will hold up in replays but so far I like it.

OD

I agree this looks like a very interesting concept for the game... and hopefully future expansions will add different puzzles for further variety!!!

I imagine replayability shouldn't be too much of a problem considering part of some puzzles will include a random pile to draw from to get the right piece you're looking for. You know, I hadn't even considered expansions. Right now, I'm all excited for the base game to come out.

Also, it was puzzle #6A which means there are at least 5 other types of puzzles. Since it has an "A" I would assume that there are variations to each puzzle as well. So the likelyhood of the same puzzle coming up over and over from play to play is low. I would say that if you played this game once every week with your game group. Or even more than that. It would take a while before you get tired of any one puzzle always popping up. My opinion anyway, we'll have to wait and see when we actually get to play them.

Like previous posters I'm curious about replayability and longevity, especially with things like the picture one only being a couple of pieces. I'm guessing the picture ones you'll have to collect in game to piece them together.

The wire ones remind me of Bioshock, and the idea of integrating them into a boardgame feels thematically like the puzzles in Resident Evil & Silent Hill. So it feels like the right move, I'm just curious about the interactions with the rest of the game.

Keep in mind that the majority of the use of puzzles is merely to delay/use up player Actions, and not trying to stump the player with a new puzzle. Even if you have a puzzle memorized, your character will need to use up actions to actually solve it and will be delayed from doing other things. So, while I think there will be enough variation in the puzzles to keep things fairly fresh, it shouldn't be a big deal if you are already "know" the solution.

dvang said:

Keep in mind that the majority of the use of puzzles is merely to delay/use up player Actions, and not trying to stump the player with a new puzzle. Even if you have a puzzle memorized, your character will need to use up actions to actually solve it and will be delayed from doing other things. So, while I think there will be enough variation in the puzzles to keep things fairly fresh, it shouldn't be a big deal if you are already "know" the solution.

yeah you're right. But I also suspect beside just a time delaying /action consumption thing, I fear a hidden timer once a puzzle is revealed. Some may be as obvious, like the sound of a large creature stumping closer, about to round the corner of the corridor, and you need to get the circuit right to open the vault.
others might not have a obvious "tick-tock" to it, but I assure you I will be very suspicious and anxious to solve the puzzle once it revealed. "uhm, is it just me or does it appear that the shadows are growing arround us? hurry you better get that lock upon anytime soon, its getting darker and colder":

Good gaming

Mal Reynolds said:

yeah you're right. But I also suspect beside just a time delaying /action consumption thing, I fear a hidden timer once a puzzle is revealed. Some may be as obvious, like the sound of a large creature stumping closer, about to round the corner of the corridor, and you need to get the circuit right to open the vault.
others might not have a obvious "tick-tock" to it, but I assure you I will be very suspicious and anxious to solve the puzzle once it revealed. "uhm, is it just me or does it appear that the shadows are growing arround us? hurry you better get that lock upon anytime soon, its getting darker and colder":

Good gaming

I'm not sure the puzzle mechanic will work as you suspect, as to a 'hidden timer'-but it would be so cool if it did aplauso.gif

OD

The puzzles are put together pretty much randomly so they are a bit different every time - meaning high replayability. They do indeed fulfill the role of taking up the investigators precious time when they really want to just get through a door or unlock a cabinet. A very fun mini-game within the game!