Savestate Arkham Horror

By ejh231171, in Fan Creations

Looks good, and here are a few suggestions/things to consider:

1. There are only 10 lines for Clues, but there are 11 unstable locations.
  2. I couldn't see anywhere to record who is first player.
  3. On the character sheet you don't really need a box for every neighbourhood, since an investigator can't be in more than one location at a time.
  4. Investigators can't be Arrested or LiTaS while in another location, so they could also be added to the Location list.
  5. You need each Other World to have an (area 1) and (area 2) in the Location list.
  6. Do you really need an "explored" box for each gate? As long as the game is being "saved" after Mythos, investigators either have already been drawn through, or have definitely explored the OW.
  7. Monster placement is hard to save. If you have 6 Cultists out, how do you signify where each of the 6 are?
  8. Do Mask monsters really need a seperate entry on the page?
  9. There is no way to set monsters to the outskirts.

As far as fixing points #7,8 & 9, how about just integrating the Mask monster section into the generic monster section, and removing the number & location drop-down boxes and just having a single text entry field for each monster where you could then write "1xSouthside Streets, 1xIndependence Square, 3x Outskirts".

I'd also recommend removing drop-down boxes from anywhere there is a number. It's quicker to type the number, and what happens if there are more than what you have preset in the form?

Hope this helps you out.

Great idee, but I think you should listen to the advice above. But overall it really is a great ideea. Time is one the things you need the most when playing Arkham Horror, and it happens sometimes that unforceen events have you end the game. Sometimes you can leave the board as it is until you return, but at other times you just can't. Using your save sheet we can return at any time to continue the game. Bravo. :D I think I will also make a version of the save sheet as how I think it will be easy to use, but I really think your ideea is a MUST in Arkham Horror.

You both make very good points, which I'll try to add to/change to my design.

To the second poster: I'm very curious what your 'savestate' is gonna look like, so if you've made something, I'd like to see it (if you want to share it, of course)......

Thanks for the feedback.

Erik-J

Its not finished yet. But as soon as it will be i'll post it here. (or the link at least :P ) And, yeah, of course I will share it with everyone. That's the best part about these forums, we can exchange ideeas and designs that will make the game even more fun. Since Fantasy Flight Games cannot employ everyone, it happens a lot that player might have some great ideeas that not even the specific game company has though of and here we can exchange those ideeas, so it would be selfish of me not to. Anyway, I'd like to point out the fact that savestate ideea belongs to you and I probably wouldnt of got the ideea if it wasn't for your post. So thanks. ^^ I noticed the game needed something like this but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Anyway, here are some of the things I made for my version of the Save Sheet. First of all I've added all the location of the base game board so that you can add monsters, clue tokens, gates and investigators on them. Also made a custom inventory for all the players so that they know what they had when the game had to end abruptly. It's alot easier in my opininon to just mark everything on a location instead of the position of every monster and such. Also it's easier to just complete the sheet with your inventory instead of leaving NONE at a lot of it's locations. But I do have to admitt that your savestate looks more profesional.

@Mykayel:

What a great idea to use the locations and link everything on them, instead of the other way 'round.!!!

WIth Microsoft Word there is a limit to the number of items in the dropdown menu (25). So it wasn't possible to put all monsters/locations in one dropdownmenu. That made it a lot more difficult (I had to split them up in A-M and N-Z for example)

I wonder how you will deal with this.....

Cheers!

EJH

Hi all

I'm a fair newbie to Arkham but I think the savestate is a great idea, especially in a house terrorised by cats that like to eat investigator tokens! (or other pets or babies or poltergeists as appropriate!).

I will most likely use one of these once the updated versions are out and about.

xx

A few more things to think about when writing your save-sheets:

What allies are left in the ally deck?

What cards (rumours, monsters, elder signs etc.) have been returned to the box?

EJH231171 said:

WIth Microsoft Word there is a limit to the number of items in the dropdown menu (25). So it wasn't possible to put all monsters/locations in one dropdownmenu. That made it a lot more difficult (I had to split them up in A-M and N-Z for example)

I wonder how you will deal with this.....

How about building the document with Acrobat Pro? You shouldn't have any problems that way. If you don't have Acrobat I'd be only too happy to add the form fields if you send me a design layout. Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to help.

BTW - I like the sheet you've designed but I do think I'd prefer a sheet that is location based. Heck, if I get the time (which is unlikely at the moment) maybe I'll see if I can come up with an alternative as well.

I like this as I often want to write up our games on our store's forums, but often forget some details. Or couse, I'd also need to keep updating this, and the last time we tried record keeping we made it about 3 rounds detailed, another 2 rounds annotated, and then just the highlights, if we remembered.