Group Sketch

By cronevald, in Fan Art

5279555373_8229ab3e90.jpg

A bit rough. Need to clean it up and add some colour.

img%20src=

Man, that's really cool! Very dynamic and extremely Space Marine-like! Are you going to colour it?

Really nice work!

Are the two lower characters Assault Marines?

And if so, why aren't they using Jump Packs? Not that it looks wrong or anything, but I just personally think Jump Packs look really awesome, so I kinda miss them in the picture. :)

Extremely good quality sketch!

A feast for the eye. What are they standing in though?

dracopticon said:

Extremely good quality sketch!

A feast for the eye. What are they standing in though?

Most likely a crater of some sort. It could also be detritus from a collapsed building, or pretty much anything. You can see the framework of a pod just behind them, as well, so they've just likely deployed, or are using the location as a strong point whilst awaiting extraction.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Hey, thanks for the replies. I'm glad folks like the piece so far. It's been awhile since I've drawn marines, glad to know I've still got it.

I will be colouring this piece soon. I haven't done much colour work in recent years and I need the practice. Seems most companies like FFG are only looking for colour work these days so I need to bring myself up to speed. Luckily I just got Painter 11 for Christmas so I'm going to start playing around with this piece while I learn the program.

The two lower characters are an Assault Marine (the SW with the wolf tail on helm) and Tactical Marine with CC kit (close examination may hint that he's a Lamenter). The characters are taken from a friend's DW group (some of the playtesters I believe), hence the very specific details. I'm not sure why the Wolf is without jump pack. I'd guess the player prefers to go without for whatever reason.

The ground is, well, I'm not telling what the ground is yet, but if you think rocky/difficult terrain on a hostile world you're on the right track. I'll tell you, working in the drop pod has been the most difficult part so far. I haven't seen one in person and it seems they're a bit larger than I'd first thought.

And thanks again, glad you all like it.

I am the GM of this Kill-Team actually. :)

Brother Marius of the Iron Hands (Techmarine)

Brother Ae'dan of the Salamanders (Devastator)

Brother Calibos of the Dark Angels (Librarian)

Brother Yngvar of the Space Wolves (Assault Marine)

Brother Thor of the Lamenters (Tactical Marine)

Yea, Yngvar refuses to use a jump pack since hes a Space Wolf, and Thor tends to favor melee since he always finds himself up front.

My players all have models for their characters that I sent to Cronevald for the picture. If you look closely at what the shape in the rear is, you should be able to guess what the ground is.

Can't wait for the line-art to be done!

kenshin138 said:

Yea, Yngvar refuses to use a jump pack since hes a Space Wolf, and Thor tends to favor melee since he always finds himself up front.

My players all have models for their characters that I sent to Cronevald for the picture. If you look closely at what the shape in the rear is, you should be able to guess what the ground is.

Hey, I have a Dark Angel Librarian Calibos in my group too. Ah, the default random name tables don't have enough entries.

Alex

ak-73 said:

Hey, I have a Dark Angel Librarian Calibos in my group too. Ah, the default random name tables don't have enough entries.

Alex

I think people like the sound of the name too. In the playtest group I ran (different players at the time than the above), we had a Dark Angel Techmarine named Calibos. I'm starting to guess its the DA version of "John" or something. :)

That is an amazing Sketch!

I took the time to follow the link to your DeviantArt and I am impressed!

Keep up the good work!

(I made an account on this site just now to comment on this lol)

Thanks, that's high praise indeed.

And now that the holidays are over I should be able to get to this piece. Hopefully I'll have it finished off not long from now.

I may be repeating what the others have said but: Very awesome work and I look forward to the full color version.

That's extremely impressive line work on the marines. Pretty good composition as well. Get crakin' I wanna see the final.

So you did art for damnation crusade? Cool.

cronevald : great work - what are you using as your medium? Is it digital or is that scanned from a sketchbook?

cool, really cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just gonna ask about commission work but I found it on your blog...

nice work man!

I sent you an email about possible commission work btw...

Awesome work. How long does it take you to do something like this?

I think I may hit you up for some work very soon.

5570804798_852b2a2f6e.jpg

Sorry, I've been busy.

Here's a version of the piece fully inked the old fashioned way with brush and crowquill. I have a colour version in the works (several in fact), but I'm not happy with the results yet and I have more immediate and pressing work to attend to.

(And just in case the image above doesn't work, there's a high res version here on my DA account: cronevald.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3cpzts )

@BrotharTearer: Yes, but not very much. Blink and you'd miss it. I did a handful of pages in final issue, namely Tankred's fight with the daemon prince, and I redrew a few backpacks and shoulder pads on other pages that GW was unhappy with. Now Blood & Thunder, that's a whole different story. I did most of that series and had a lot of fun drawing the Orkses.

@schoon: What you seen in the pencils and inks is 99% traditional. I tweaked the contrast on the pencils for clarity and there's the smallest sliver on the left of the inks that was done in Painter as the muzzle flash was too big for the page. The piece was done on good old fashioned Strathmore bristol with 2H to H leads and inked with a Windsor s7 #2 and crowquills with Speedball Super Black.

@Brother Adonai: Email recieved and reply sent. Hopefully you weren't too upset with my response. I don't actually take 40k commissions for copyright reasons. I do get to do work for GW licensees from time to time and I don't want to do anything that might get in the way of that. Kenshin's an old friend and I owed him a piece.

And thanks all for the compliments. Hopefully you like the inks.

ak-73 said:

kenshin138 said:

Alex

I also have a Dark Angel librarian named Calabos in my group.

Love the picture, can't wait to see the finished line art!

Very awesome pic!

kenshin138 said:

If you look closely at what the shape in the rear is, you should be able to guess what the ground is.

A drop pod and the crater made by it's landing?