the Ironclad dreadnought

By NinjaLemur, in Deathwatch House Rules

So yes Rites of Battle comes out very soon which will include rules or dreadnoughts (or so we hope) In the meantime for those of you you who dont want to wait around. We came up with our own rules for a Ironclad Dreadnought that we ran as one a solo game with a rank 5 tactical Ultramarine Deathwatch PC.

Strength value becomes 80 character now posses Unnatural Strength x3

Toughness becomes Unnatural Toughness x3

Has a built in Auger Array/Astartes Targeter/Pict Recorder/Lamp in addtion to all the other features of Astartes Power Armor

Provides AP 25 to all locations

Still have power history: recommended is either None shall escape the Emperor's Wrath or Death is Joy

Character can not run and -30 to Agility and Dodge (but may still parry)

Weapons:

Hurricane Bolter Mounted 100m S/4/10 2d10+5 X 5 2000 2 Full Hurricane,twin linked, Devastating(1)

Chain Fist Mounted 3D10t E 10 Power Field Tearing

it also has a heavy flamer as well in as a grenade launchers and a pair of hunter killer missiles which we treated as Plasma Missiles

New weapon quality: Hurricane; a weapon with the hurricane quality unleashes shots in devastating hails often though the use of a tri-barreled design. when firing the weapon in burst or full automatic mode each degree of success yields 3 additional hits ( to a maximum of three times the weapons full rate of fire)

Gm note: This thing was a horde killing nightmare, The marine had both the Storm of Iron and Cleanse and Purify Talents

Quick add on the Hurricane bolter also posses the Tearing quality as does the chain fist

NinjaLemur said:

So yes Rites of Battle comes out very soon which will include rules or dreadnoughts (or so we hope) In the meantime for those of you you who dont want to wait around. We came up with our own rules for a Ironclad Dreadnought that we ran as one a solo game with a rank 5 tactical Ultramarine Deathwatch PC.

Strength value becomes 80 character now posses Unnatural Strength x3

Toughness becomes Unnatural Toughness x3

Has a built in Auger Array/Astartes Targeter/Pict Recorder/Lamp in addtion to all the other features of Astartes Power Armor

Provides AP 25 to all locations

Just offering feedback here, Rank 5 seems low to be encased in the dreadnought to me, but your mileage may vary. As for UT and AP 25, it feels to me like you'd want to treat this more like a vehicle than just a big suit of armor. I'd expect the marine inside to actually have less toughness and fewer wounds than an average marine, seeing that he's now a husk of a man encased inside a machine.

The strength seems high to me as well- you're effectively making him stronger than anything else in the book. A hive tyrant is only str 60 (US x 3), a tau commander 50 (x2), and a daemon prince 66 (x3). I'd reduce it to match some of the enemies, and look to TT for guidance (maybe you already have) and give the guy something closer to Str 60 and maybe give him the USx3 trait.

NinjaLemur said:

Still have power history: recommended is either None shall escape the Emperor's Wrath or Death is Joy

Character can not run and -30 to Agility and Dodge (but may still parry)

Weapons:

Hurricane Bolter Mounted 100m S/4/10 2d10+5 X 5 2000 2 Full Hurricane,twin linked, Devastating(1)

Chain Fist Mounted 3D10t E 10 Power Field Tearing

it also has a heavy flamer as well in as a grenade launchers and a pair of hunter killer missiles which we treated as Plasma Missiles

New weapon quality: Hurricane; a weapon with the hurricane quality unleashes shots in devastating hails often though the use of a tri-barreled design. when firing the weapon in burst or full automatic mode each degree of success yields 3 additional hits ( to a maximum of three times the weapons full rate of fire)

Gm note: This thing was a horde killing nightmare, The marine had both the Storm of Iron and Cleanse and Purify Talents

For the hurricane bolter, are you trying to improve the storm bolter or the heavy bolter here? From my knowledge of the hurricane bolter it's simply 6 twin linked HBs, so I'd eliminate the single shot and short burst/semi-auto mode; so I'd go with Mounted, 150m -/ - /10 2d10 +10 x Pen 5 1000 rounds (give or take), 3 Full, hurricane, twin linked. I'd consider removing devestating and leaving that for explosive weapons like the frag missle or mortars.

I like the idea of hurricane, it certainly simplifies the idea that you have 6 friggin bolters shooting at you at once, and then you don't have to roll for all 3 bolters (twice).

I'd make the extra weapons (missles) cost extra req. I'd also make the grenade launchers cost req if they wanted anything but smoke in them.

Are dread chainfists tougher than Terminator Chainfists? I don't rightly know, but the stats for terminator fists are already there, and the potential of the unnatural strength x3 should make up for it, I'd leave it ad 2d10 rather than 3d10.

Now that I think of it, I'd force the guy to burn a ton of req like you do for signature wargear just to have any of the stuff.

And as discussed on some other threads, I'd give him some insanty, and consider reducing his perception, intel, fellowship, or the like.

Check out this thread for another discussion on the topic

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=213&efcid=3&efidt=394841

hurricane bolters are twin linked normal bolters not hv bolters , the sesimic hammer would be more interesting as would the dreadnought inferno hammer

Hardrainfalling said:

hurricane bolters are twin linked normal bolters not hv bolters , the sesimic hammer would be more interesting as would the dreadnought inferno hammer

Nice catch, so modify the damage profile to 2D10+5 X, pen 5, 100m, rof S/2/4. I'd still leave off the devestating trait.

I agree, the hammer seems like it would make a cooler alternate weapon, and give the dreadnought variant a little bit more style.