Question on Rickard Karstark

By pawell, in Battles of Westeros

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused with Rickard Karstark the Lord of Karhold ability:

" Flip this card after ordering Rickard's unit to rally Rickard's unit and all adjacent friendly cavalry. "

The thing is that the rulebook reads that that " the unit can only be ordered if it is active " (page 15) and almost the same " ...a player needs to make sure the units to be ordered have active banners and are all in the ZOC etc. " (page 16, for the command cards).

The question is - aside from rallying the fellow cavalry, which is perfectly clear - how on Earth can Rickard rally himself? Obviously there's no need to rally him when active, but from my understanding, it's not possible to order him when inactive to trigger his ability...

Did I miss something?

Well, when you order him, he is active, but becomes inactive as a consequence of executing that order. After all recently ordered units have executed their action, you use his commit ability. Example:

Rickard and a bunch of nearby cavalry are active.

-You play a card which allows you to order a few units. You order Rickard and a bunch of cavalry to attack the enemy, taking care to move so that as many as possible end up adjacent to Rickard
-You execute their attacks, inflicting maximum pwnage
-After you've resolved the attacks, you flip over Rickard's card and turn Rickard's flag and the flags of all adjacent cavalry to the active side

And the next time it's your turn you can, if you have the means, use the rallied cavalry for more carnage.