Persistance of "Swayed by the Light" and other questions

By nasost, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

I have a Barathean deck and I recently played against a friend with Targaryen, and the game brought up a few questions.

1. If I use "Swayed by the Light" to take control of an opponent's character, is it permanent control? I mean, once I have control, does it matter if the SBTL attachment card is removed from them? The text reads "Take control of attached character." To me, taking control is an instantaneous action that does not require the attachment to remain there after it is done.

2. If a card (like Snowed Under or Unburnt) says to put a character back in its owner's hand, do attachments go with it or are they just discarded?

3. Here is a questions having to do with a complicated play that occured, and related to the above questions. My friend had a Targaryen character out with Unburnt attached to it, which allows the controller to save the attached character and then put it in their hand. It also had a couple other attachments which made it really powerful and annoying. I played Swayed by the Light on it and took control of it. My opponent then did a military challenge against me which I lost, so I chose to use Unburnt and save the Targaryen character and then put it and all the attachments in my hand. I figured they would stay in my hand, but my opponent said that since SbtL was no longer attached to it in my hand, the character and all the other newly acquired attachment cards would go back to her hand. So, the big question is: What would really happen here with all the cards involved?

nasost said:

1. If I use "Swayed by the Light" to take control of an opponent's character, is it permanent control? I mean, once I have control, does it matter if the SBTL attachment card is removed from them? The text reads "Take control of attached character." To me, taking control is an instantaneous action that does not require the attachment to remain there after it is done.

Like all attachments, the effect goes away when the attachment leaves play. The duration of control changes is addressed in the game's FAQ located in the Support section of the game's product page.

nasost said:

2. If a card (like Snowed Under or Unburnt) says to put a character back in its owner's hand, do attachments go with it or are they just discarded?

If a character leaves play for any reason (killed, discarded, returned to hand, etc.), any attachments on it are discarded unless the effect that makes the character leave play specifically says otherwise.

nasost said:

3. Here is a questions having to do with a complicated play that occured, and related to the above questions. My friend had a Targaryen character out with Unburnt attached to it, which allows the controller to save the attached character and then put it in their hand. It also had a couple other attachments which made it really powerful and annoying. I played Swayed by the Light on it and took control of it. My opponent then did a military challenge against me which I lost, so I chose to use Unburnt and save the Targaryen character and then put it and all the attachments in my hand. I figured they would stay in my hand, but my opponent said that since SbtL was no longer attached to it in my hand, the character and all the other newly acquired attachment cards would go back to her hand. So, the big question is: What would really happen here with all the cards involved?

There's actually a couple of things that are not strictly by the rules in the way you describe the scenario:

A. When you take control of a character with Swayed, you only take control of the character, not all the attachments on it. Now, since all the attachments stayed on the character when you took control of it, any passive attachment effects like "gains +2 STR" or "gains an intrigue icon" would still apply. However, you are not allowed to trigger any effects on the attachments themselves because your opponent still controls them - just like you cannot trigger any effects on the locations or characters that your opponent controls. So, it was technically illegal for you to try to use Unburnt to save the character. (Your opponent could have done it when you chose that character to die, though.)

B. Unburnt specifically says that after the character is saved, it is returned to its owner's hand. That means that since you had taken control of the character with Swayed, saving it would have returned it to your opponent's hand, not yours, since she was the one who owned it, i.e., brought it to the game in the deck she was playing.

C. As answered in #2, the attachments, including Unburnt, would not have been returned to hand along with the character. They would have been discarded.

So what really would happen with the cards you describe is that you probably would have chosen a different character to die when you lost the military challenge since you could not have saved the character itself with Unburnt, wouldn't have wanted it back in your opponent's hand if you could and wouldn't have wanted to give your opponent the chance to use the Unburnt she controlled and take the character back into her own hand while discarding all the attachments, including your Swayed.

nasost said:

I have a Barathean deck and I recently played against a friend with Targaryen, and the game brought up a few questions.

1, Sbtl says take control of attached character, so if the swayed leaves play the character come back to it's owner.

2. If a attached character leaves play the attachment go to the discardpile.

3. The Tagaryen Charachter goes to the hand of the Targ Player and all attachment go to the discardpile.

What about event cards that give you controll of a character? How long does that last? I am thinking of Seductive Promise from the core set: Response: After you win a powericon.gif challenge by 4 or more total STR, choose a non-unique character controlled by the losing opponent. Take control of that character.
Limit 1 per phase.

Triggered effects are a little different from the passive/constant effects of attachments. A triggered effect lasts for as long as the effect says it does. If the triggered effect does NOT specify a duration (and Seductive Promise does not), it is permanent - regardless of what happens to the card with the effect written on it. At least, it's permanent for as long as the target is in play (i.e., if you kill a character that you took with Seductive Promise, it goes to its owner's dead pile, not yours).