Adding Music To Your Game

By Brother Thorn, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

Im about to start up my Deathwatch game, and I want to add a unique aspect to the game. The music I want to use isn't dark or scifi music. I want to use old classic songs from Vietnam. Little Richard - Long Tall Sally or CCR - Fortunate Son. I was hoping to get opinions on doing this. Do you think it will add a unique experience to the game or take away from it?

Also may I get any old rock song suggestions to use in this endevor.

Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones...

I think if you've got the right kind of players it can definitely enhance your game.

Personally I GM'd a game in which the players spent one session cruising around in a land raider, I can tell you a lot of AC/DC got played that session... Highway to Hell, Thunderstruck etc.

To copy battlefield vietnam if you want a true vietnam feel theres always

Edwin Starr - War

Forget who did this originally but i'd just used the deep purple even though its from later I think - Hush

Ride of the Valkyries

Its funny, I've actually gone the exact opposite way for my soundtrack. I've been using the Metro 2033 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R soundtracks, but then again my main opponents are tyranids, and I found this helped capture the feeling of it.

As for your idea, Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones, All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix and Bad Moon Rising by CCR. As well heres the top 20 songs from each year of the Viet-nam war

http://www.rjsmith.com/vietnam-era-music.html