5 questions

By Veross, in CoC Rules Discussion

Hi Guys;

Let me have 5 questions regarding rules:

1) If on the table there are 3 stories and 1 conspiracy and 1 story is won; does the next story replace the won one one the conspiracy is treated as 3rd story and no new story enters play?

2) If I won story on Investigation struggle (had 4 success tokens and Inv. bring 5th) - can I enable story special effect (like destroy all creatures in play)?

3) Opponent has on play 2 creatures with skill 2. I play "Playing with fire" - it cause all creatures with skill 2 or lower to get 1 wound.
Who determines wounding order? Myself as I played the card? Or Opponent as a creatures' controller? It may be a difference if a creature has a Triggered Ability

4) There is a story, that has effect: Put all creatures from discards into play insane.
If I have in discard pile creature with Terror Icon/Willpower - what will happen? Will card override rulebook and this creature comes into play insane?

5) There is an Agency card: Chose your character and opponent character. Wound one, insane other.
What will happen if I choose 2 Willpower characters or 2 Invulnerability characters? Card allows that, and there is no "if, able"?

Cheers;

Veross said:

1) If on the table there are 3 stories and 1 conspiracy and 1 story is won; does the next story replace the won one one the conspiracy is treated as 3rd story and no new story enters play?

The story is preplaced normally, so there are again 3 stories and a conspiracy in play. Each Story works on it's own and doesn't look at other stories that way.

Veross said:

2) If I won story on Investigation struggle (had 4 success tokens and Inv. bring 5th) - can I enable story special effect (like destroy all creatures in play)?

Yes. If you win a story in any way, you may choose to trigger it on the spot, no matter in what phase you are on who's turn.

Veross said:

3) Opponent has on play 2 creatures with skill 2. I play "Playing with fire" - it cause all creatures with skill 2 or lower to get 1 wound.
Who determines wounding order? Myself as I played the card? Or Opponent as a creatures' controller? It may be a difference if a creature has a Triggered Ability

All wounds are simultanious. Then players must trigger forced responses taking turns, starting with the active player. Then all players may resolve responses taking turns, starting with the active player. Note that anything that died from Playing With Fire will already be dead once the triggers trigger.

Veross said:

4) There is a story, that has effect: Put all creatures from discards into play insane.
If I have in discard pile creature with Terror Icon/Willpower - what will happen? Will card override rulebook and this creature comes into play insane?

Willpower/Terror stops characters from going insane. However, they can be put into play insane, because willpower/terror only prevents this while in play. So, even WP/T characters will come into play insane, and will be effectively blanked and iconless. This works similar as a character that somehow loses willpower until end of phase, then goes insane. Even though it has willpower written on it, and will regain willpower, it won't restore them, since while insane willpower is useless.

Veross said:

5) There is an Agency card: Chose your character and opponent character. Wound one, insane other.
What will happen if I choose 2 Willpower characters or 2 Invulnerability characters? Card allows that, and there is no "if, able"?

That would be:

-- Agency --
Small Price to Pay
------------------
Type : Event
Cost : 1
Subtype :
Game Text: Action: choose a character you control and a character an opponent controls. Choose one of those characters to go insane, then wound the other character.
Flavor text:
Illustrator: Josh Hagler
Collector's Info: FC C11

Note it reads: " then wound the other character." Then is an important word here. If a trigger resolves, the part after the then won't resolve unless the part proceding it has been succesfull.

So, if you choose a willpower character, the part before then will be unsuccesfull (no character was turned insane,) and the part after then (the wounding) wont resolve.

If you choose to turn something insane, and the other has invulnerability, it works, though. You'll have one insane character and the other dodges the bullet.

Thank you so much for your kind response; One more question rised after today's strugle.

My opponent had: Syndicate location: while you have Syndicate character in play, each opponent's character looses Investigation Icon.

I had character with no Investigation Icons, but played event - Gain any Icon (I choosed Investigation Icon) and loose -1 Skill until the end of phase.

Now what happens? My creature does receive 1 Investigation Icon or not?

Thanks!

Veross said:

Thank you so much for your kind response; One more question rised after today's strugle.

My opponent had: Syndicate location: while you have Syndicate character in play, each opponent's character looses Investigation Icon.

I had character with no Investigation Icons, but played event - Gain any Icon (I choosed Investigation Icon) and loose -1 Skill until the end of phase.

Now what happens? My creature does receive 1 Investigation Icon or not?

Thanks!

The plus one and the minus one cancel each other out, so it's back to no investigation icons.

Marius said:

Veross said:

Yes. If you win a story in any way, you may choose to trigger it on the spot, no matter in what phase you are on who's turn.

My question came from strange text in new Rulebook, which I must say I do not understand:

" After a story card has been won, and its effect executed or declined,
it is replaced by a new story card from the story deck. Thus, if
a story card has been won before it is fully resolved (usually by
having the fifth token placed from an investigation struggle), it is
replaced, and the resolution of that story is over.
"

It says: thus, (...) resolution is over ----- it looks like "without chance to execute special effect".

Veross said:

My question came from strange text in new Rulebook, which I must say I do not understand:

" After a story card has been won, and its effect executed or declined,
it is replaced by a new story card from the story deck. Thus, if
a story card has been won before it is fully resolved (usually by
having the fifth token placed from an investigation struggle), it is
replaced, and the resolution of that story is over.
"

It says: thus, (...) resolution is over ----- it looks like "without chance to execute special effect".

Ah... No it just means that no more struggles and skillchecks resolve. That's what "story resolution" is. But you do get the chance to execute the effect.