For the AH enthusiast, I present my home-brewed campaign

By Rogue_Joker_23, in Fan Creations

It may need some tweaking, but this is what I've come up with. I can already see where the components may become a bit overbearing. Any suggestions or creative criticisms are welcome to help improve on this foundation. This campaign functions under the assumption that there is a temporal anomaly "resetting" Lovecraft country between scenarios, but still allowing the investigators to "carry over" some of their equipment from one scenario to the next if they are successful.

Campaign Setup

Each player selects an investigator. That investigator will remain in play until retired or devoured .

The Ancient Ones are shuffled together to form a pile. At the beginning of each campaign scenario, an Ancient One is drawn at random, and the scenario is set up accordingly (more on that later). Note that Ithaqua or Yig should be used for the first scenario, and Azathoth should be removed from this pile, as he will function as the campaign's "final boss."

The Injury and Madness decks from Dunwich Horror (along with one Encounter card presenting a scenario at St. Mary's Hospital and Arkham Asylum, respectively, allowing a chance to remove these conditions without providing any other Dunwich-exclusive content) should be added to the play area at the start of the campaign.

The Tasks and Missions from Dunwich should be shuffled into their respective decks from the main game, save for the "Joining the Winning Team" mission, which will not be used during the campaign.

Each investigator receives his or her Personal Story from Innsmouth Horror, as well as a Relationship card from Lurker at the Threshold, which will remain in play so long as that investigator is in play. If an investigator leaves play for any reason, the replacement investigator will not receive a Relationship card until the following game (or the game after that, if the previous investigator was devoured during final combat).

The replacement Gate Markers provided with Lurker at the Threshold are used in lieu of the Gate Markers that come with the base game.

Gameplay follows all the normal rules until either a victory or defeat condition is met.

After a Victory

Score the victory, and add this value to any score from previous campaign scenarios. The First Citizen becomes the First Player at the beginning of the next scenario.

Investigators are allowed to trade as much or as little as desired, as if they are sharing the same space and following all the normal rules for trading.

Items held at the end of a scenario may be "carried over" into the next scenario as if they were a random starting item for that character. For example, if a character has an unused Elder Sign at the end of a scenario, and that character receives one random Unique Item at the start of the game, the investigator may choose to take the Elder Sign as that random Unique Item in the next scenario. This rule applies to Common Items, Unique Items, Spells, Skills, and Allies. Any extra items the investigator does not wish to keep are discarded. The investigators still receive all of their fixed possessions at the start of the next scenario.

Memberships (Silver Twilight Lodge, Sheldon Gang, etc.) may be carried over from one scenario to another at no cost. Rail passes, blessings, curses, bank loans, retainers, and the Deputy cards are all discarded.

The investigators heal themselves, restoring their sanity and stamina up to their maximum values. They are allowed to discard one Injury and one Madness card each between scenarios. Any and all corruption, benefit, or detriment cards are discarded.

The temporal distortion surrounding Lovecraft country then takes effect, "resetting" the board to it's original state. All investigators reset their Personal Stories.

After a Defeat

If the investigators are defeated, the town of Arkham, and likely the surrounding countryside, if not the world entire, is destroyed by the newly-awakened Ancient One. In this timeline, anyways. The Ancient One is shuffled back into the pile, and all investigators that participated in this scenario are discarded, never again to grace the campaign setting. A new team of investigators must be selected to continue the campaign. In addition, the campaign's score is reduced to 0, as the new investigators must begin accruing points from scratch. If the pile of investigators ever runs empty, the campaign has ended, and the investigators lose.

Getting Devoured

For the most part, a devoured investigator will be permanently removed from the campaign. However, if any investigator is devoured as a prerequisite to or as a result of his or her Personal Story, that investigator is instead placed back into the investigator pile, available for use later in the campaign.

Retiring an Investigator

An investigator who has been retired is shuffled back into the deck of investigators for use later in the campaign.

Adding Board Expansions

Board expansions will only enter play with Ancient Ones that came packaged with that board, with a few rare exceptions. After a board's first appearance, all Common Items, Unique Items, Spells, Skills, and Allies associated with that board will remain in play for the rest of the campaign. All Mythos, Gate, and Encounter cards are removed from play when that board is not being used. In addition, any monster markers associated with that board will only be added to the monster cup when that board is in play.

Adding Card Expansions

The card expansions will only enter play along with the first appearance of the Herald sharing that expansion's name. For example, the King in Yellow expansion will only be used after the King in Yellow Herald makes his first appearance in the campaign.

During this first encounter with the Herald, set aside all Mythos cards from the expansion to form a second Mythos deck. The game-starting Mythos card should be drawn from this deck, as should every other Mythos card drawn that game. After this initial scenario with the Herald has been overcome, with the investigators standing victorious, all elements of the card expansion will be shuffled evenly into the components of the base game, representing the growing threat surrounding Arkham.

Mythos and Gate Cards

Used mythos and gate cards should be set aside, separate from the campaign. They will not be used again until either "The Story Continues" (for Mythos cards), or "The Stars are Right" (for Gate cards) has been drawn. Only then will the stack of used cards from that deck be shuffled into the bottom half of the remaining cards in the deck.

Monster Cup

The monster cup should always contain the standard 55 monster markers from the base game (not including the 5 mask monsters). If an expansion is in play that has more monster markers associated with it, then those monsters are added to the cup. In addition, if the worshipers segment of the Ancient One's sheet indicates a type of monster that would otherwise not be in play, take all copies of that monster marker from the appropriate expansion and put them in the monster cup.

Heralds

Three of the Heralds have a chance of making recurring appearances throughout the campaign. Each of them has a chance to appear when a certain victory condition is met. After scoring the game, the First Citizen rolls a die. On a success, nothing happens. On a failure, the Herald shows up during the next campaign scenario. Note that if the investigators are defeated, no Herald will be played during the next campaign session.

Tulzscha has a chance to appear every time the investigators manage to seal six locations.

Lurker has a chance to appear every time the investigators manage to close all open gates in Arkham.

Ghroth has a chance to appear whenever an Ancient One is defeated in final combat.

Guardians

While the Heralds will either show up randomly or in conjunction with a specific Ancient One, the investigators may call upon the aid of a Guardian at any time, so long as they prove their worth. After a campaign scenario has been set up, but before the first Mythos card is drawn, the investigators may decide whether or not they wish to summon a Guardian to their aid. If they decide to do so, they must reduce their campaign score by 10 points for every investigator in play during the current session. If they are unable to pay this cost in full, a Guardian cannot be summoned.

Scenarios -- The Ancient Ones are listed below. Any special rules for setting up their scenario are listed in parenthesis.

Abhoth (Dunwich board)

Atlach-Nacha (Kingsport board)

Azathoth (all expansions)

Bokrug

Chaugnar Faugn (Innsmouth board)

Cthugha

Cthulhu (Innsmouth board, Father Dagon & Mother Hydra heralds)

Eihort (Kingsport board)

Ghatanothoa (Innsmouth board)

Glaaki (Dunwich board)

Hastur (King in Yellow expansion, King in Yellow herald)

Ithaqua

Nyarlathotep (Curse of the Dark Pharaoh expansion, Dark Pharaoh herald)

Nyogtha

Quachil Uttaus

Rhan-Tegoth (Innsmouth board)

Shub-Niggurath (Kingsport board, Black Goat of the Woods expansion, Black Goat of the Woods herald)

Shudde M'ell (Dunwich board)

Tsathoggua (Dunwich board)

Y'Golonac (Kingsport board)

Yibb-Tstll (Kingsport board)

Yig

Yog-Sothoth (Dunwich board, Dunwich Horror herald)

Zhar (Innsmouth board)

Well, that's all I've got. Any questions, comments, concerns, please post. I'm eager to get some feedback on what people think of this. Opent o suggestions, and will be willing to alter this post with updated rules and such as concerns arise and options are taken into consideration.

I think this is going to be *very* easy even without abusing game breaking abilities. Let me give you an example of a few small investigator teams (I won't even mention 8 player teams, since that's even more abuseable).

Obviously, you can toss Ashcan Pete onto any team for maximum abuseability (thanks to his ability to scour the unique item deck for Elder Signs with one dollar). You can also couple him with Mihn Ti Phan to recycle King in Yellow several times (giving any team the ability to have nearly enough clues to seal all gates at the beginning of the game. Of course, there's the Daisy/arcane insight/Kate combo. A really unscrupulous player can go for final combat victories with a three player team of Mandy, Joe, and Patrice (clue shotgunning will be quite easy with this group). Marie Lambeau can be tossed onto any team just to extend a doom track by two. It doesn't matter that she's essentially a throw away character beyond that. Darrell can also be extremely exploitable (especially if you can carry over The Dragon's Eye and a Healing Stone between games). In Dunwich games he can pull out the alchemies easily. In Kingsport games he can basically make the doom track near infinite. Not to mention the ease of getting him a permanent retainer and just sitting him down to shop for elder signs.

Patrice, Mandy, Wendy, Daisy. With Patrice and Wendy, you have enough starting resources to seal three gates basically. Patrice will generate enough resources to let you basically finish off the rest. You can play aggressively by searching for a find gate with Daisy. You can play a variation of this strategy with Akachi instead of Wendy. With Find Gate and clues given to her by Patrice, she'll be able to double the clues on the board very quickly. Pretty much the only Ancient One this team would have trouble against would be Atlach Nacha (but if they went after gates without sealing and horded clues, allies, strong weapon combinations and attack cancelling items, killing it in final combat shouldn't be a big deal). Of course, once you get Daisy the Necronomicon, she's going to be grossly overpowered every game (especially if you also give her a motorcycle or a Ruby of R'lyeh so she doesn't have to sacrifice mobility to read). Of course, I'd pick a different team to try and kill off Atlach in round two, probably Mandy, Patrice, Daisy, and Joe. Then I'd get Joe deliberately devoured ASAP afterwards (so I could replace him with Wendy and get faster easier wins).

If you really want to plug up a few major holes, ban Kate, do not allow Ashcan to shop without a minimum of five dollars and do not allow him to be played with Mihn Ti Phan unless they are among the last surviving investigators, do not allow the use of shotgun in final combat. I'd seriously consider banning Patrice and Daisy as well.

Personally, I found the first league games amazingly easy (and boring) because they allowed investigator selection. Now there are even more investigators *and* relationship cards, *and* personal stories. Yeesh. Your campaign won't be that nearly that difficult (if a person knows how to manipulate the game well) because you're allowing complete item carry over and there are no added negative effects. Pretty much the only scenario on your list I saw that looked potentially difficult was the one with Atlach Nacha. The others should be pieces of cake (given team selection, item carry over, AND occasional guardian deployment).

I think at the least your investigator selection should be random, and each investigator should not be able to carry over more than one item (I still think that's too much, but, whatever).

You've also done nothing to prevent Elder SIgn carry over exploits (where basically a team can horde up Elder Signs before a harder Ancient One, just so they can get a fast easy win).

I like the randomly appearing heralds, but you shouldn't have Lurker there (unless you mean for it to be a bonus).

I think this would be a lot more fun (and tempting to play) if you threw in at least a line or two of game modifying text for each scenario. As it is, I don't see much incentive to commit to something that'll probably take around eighty hours and that will be far easier than the normal game.