One more new player :)

By Shangfu, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Hi all!

Just finished the first two games of CoC:LCG, and **** it was great! Both games were very close and the advantage kept swinging from side to side. I think that's the best thing about this game, the balance shifts quickly from side to side constantly and everything happens very fast, so the games stay exciting.

First game: Agency (Aggro/Control) vs Cthulhu (Deep One tribal Aggro/Control)

Victory for the Agency, but it came very close. We both had pretty much equal board position in the beginning, but i managed to play Hydra and seemed like a certain winner. In the end a lucky Short Fuse eliminated Hydra and carelesness cost me the game, but just barely. **** those Investigation icons....

Second game: Shub-Niggurath (Swarm/Combo) vs Academy (Control/Rush)

Close victory for the Academy. Albert Wilmarth was the main reason for my victory, accompanied with many Bindings and Inside Informations. He was able to stall the enemy swarm long enough to ****** two stories with investigation, and finally Mad Scientist won me the game. And i tought that card was pretty much junk.....

Couple of questions:

1) I have 3xCore Set and 2xSoA. What do you think about the factions with that card pool? Are they equal in power? I have made a monocolour deck for each faction and the ones i have tested so far seem equal enough. I'm not looking for a competitive decks, but equal decks that are fun to play casually while waiting for my gaming group to arrive for RPG or board game sessions.

2) Is the any way to get a hold of At The Mountains Of Madness or Ancient Horrors asylum packs, or should i just move on to one of the asylum pack series?

Thank you!

Shangfu said:

1) I have 3xCore Set and 2xSoA. What do you think about the factions with that card pool? Are they equal in power? I have made a monocolour deck for each faction and the ones i have tested so far seem equal enough. I'm not looking for a competitive decks, but equal decks that are fun to play casually while waiting for my gaming group to arrive for RPG or board game sessions.

2) Is the any way to get a hold of At The Mountains Of Madness or Ancient Horrors asylum packs, or should i just move on to one of the asylum pack series?

Here's the results from my first round of playtests: www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

I did another two rounds of playtests adding cards from the first two AP cycles. At the end of these, I found that the factions were a lot better balanced.

I'd guess that the following factions don't work well using mono decks from Core+AS: Yog, Miskatonic, Hastur

Cthulhu and Agency should work best; Shub and Syndicate might work okay, too.

2) You wouldn't _want_ to get hold of the MoM and AH APs right now, since they don't include three copies of every card. Normally, I'd say, just wait for the reprints, but it's not sure at the moment, what FFG's plans are for these two APs. Imho, the problem is, what to do with the Sledge Dogs? Maybe they'll include both sets in a Deluxe expansion (possibly adding some new cards, too).

1) Thanks for the info :) It was no surprise that the agency and cthulhu were so dominant, as they pretty much seemed to be the two strongest factions. Surprised about the Syndicate though, never thought they would do so well.... But hopefully the major advantage with agency and cthulhu isn't too dominant, as i wouldn't want to hold back with deck construction for certain factions.

2) Ah, ok, so i'll just move straight to the bigger asylum pack sets then.... But hopefully they reprint those cards later in some form, as many of the GOO:s from AH seemed really interesting (and hey, who wouldn't love more GOO:s :D ).