Chaos Skaven

By â—�Kefkaâ—�, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

Kind of a weird build. But it does play to a few of Chaos' strengths. Check it out and let me know what you think.

I have 0 experience playing rush, so any insight in that area would be awesome.

Fledgeling Chaos Spawn x3
Veteran Sellsword x3
Servants of Khorne x3
Clan Rats x3
Clan Moulder's Elite x3
Vicious Marauder x3
Greyseer x1
Rat Ogres x3
Deathmaster x1
Great Unclean One x3

Warpstone Excavation x3
Contested Village x3
Greyseer's Lair x3

Cloud of Flies x3
Embers to Inferno x3
Blood Summoning x3
Innovation x3
Berserk Fury x3

In the early game with this deck, you want to blitz a zone, ideally quest. Something resource generating that you will be able to keep down later with Embers to Inferno.

I like quest, because it's useful to stunt their card draw early, and because most quest units are dealt with easily by Cloud of Flies, which goes great with Clan Moulders Elite on the first turn when the opportunity presents itself.

After you burn that zone, you can continue to hit another if it's prone, or you can back up a little and summon in a Great Unclean One with Blood Summoning. Rat Ogres can restand Skaven that corrupt for this, and can eat your Sellswords or Chaos Spawns with the Unclean One's ability.

Berserk Fury is nice, about turn 3, because you can snipe, boost your damage, or boost your carddraw with it.

I'm on the fence about Innovation, the cost curve of this deck is lower, and it might see better use as something like Bolt of Change. I could add in the Savage Gors as well, for synergy.

Greyseer's Lair is pretty slow too. But I'm stumped about what to put in it's place, really. Chaos is lacking some good cheap support.

I dunno, thoughts? Ever build something similar?

I have in fact, and its fairly effective. Not a tourney tuned deck, but has a great chance vs anything in casual play.

Bloodsworn are a nice touch, with cload of flies on them they almost never die before they can ping something and get healed.

Not so sure on vicious maruaders, cheap for there hammers, but you do not always want the commitment to attack, and that they are battlefield only means they can;t help boost your card draw or income if they are all you got early, and bloodsworn can go in either spot, and still use cload of flies to good effect. A couple of tzeech damage spell cards may not be a bad ideal to toast troublesome stuff like vile sorcs or lizardmen savage stuff.

Skaven are hard to play with only 1 of the first cycle BPs, since the heroes are so important. All of the other factions have since gotten monster cards in triplicate. They would be OK in a true highlander format, where nobody had more than 1 of any card.

Anyway, the Chaos stuff that worked well back in the day with Skaven:

Seduce By Darkness, Festering Nurglings (and Effulgent Boils) - move guys out of the way.

Bloodsworn/Cloud of Flies - plenty of guys hitting the discard.

Horrific Mutation/Poisonwind Globadiers - lock out defenders.

Random damage spells - kill would-be defenders. Spells, plus Blood for the Blood God, random units.

Spells/Plaguemonk/Ancient Waystone - mess with their draws while you kill guys. Flames of Tzeentch, Cloud of Flies, Tzeentch's Firestorm are all decent.

Wolves of the North - nasty with Greyseer.

If you're going to run a random big guy, it should definitely be the Bloodthirstser (probably with Rip), so you have something to punch through Dwarf/HE tricks. Otherwise, nothing should cost over four. I would definitely keep Vicious Marauders, and you may want some Spider Riders to go with them. Some of the other weenies can probably go (Spawns at least, maybe Servants). Cloud of Flies I would keep only w/ Bloodthirster and/or Plaguemonk. Most of the tactics can go; keep Innovation, and maybe keep a Blood Summoning or two if you go with the Bloodthirsters. It is pretty funny with Rat Ogre.

This deck is dope. (that means awesome)

I would get rid of Innovation and put Bolt of change in its place, this gives you another unit to sacrifice with the great unclean one (if you used it to boost your kingdom/quest) or another ceap unit (1 res for 2 power) and you can boost it with Beserk Fury without a drawback (unless you needed that HP on your capital). Since you are going to corrupt a lot of your units (Warpstone, Clan Rats, Rat Heroes, Blood Summoning and rat ogers to do it again), I would run Fellblade to get hammers out of it.

I made an on the fly chaos/skaven that looks a lot like this. A buddy of mine has core and one each of the corruption cycle, so the pool was limited. He was using warpstones and I had the contested villages. I ended up using Bloodsworn, Nurglings, and Gutter Runners instead of Unclean Ones, and to make up for the gaps in Rat Ogres, Chaos Spawns, and Moulders. Also used some Chaos sacrifice tactics and search along with the Hellcannon. It'd probably be even faster with Bolt of Change and Savage Gors now that I think about it.