When does a Blockade end?

By Tim Kelly, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Situtation 1: I've got armies on an opponent's "Great Person" or building blocking the the last coin the opponent needs for an Economic victory. During my part of the movement phase, I move the armies off to attack his city. Does the Blockade end immediately, and the opponent wins a "coin" victory, or do I get the chance to finish my attack before we consider his newly unblocked coin?

Situation 2: I've got armies on an opponent's "Barracks" or "Great Person Great General". During my part of the movement phase, I move the armies off to attack his city. Does the Blockade end immediately, and the opponent regain the bonus from the building or great person, or do I get the chance to finish my attack before we consider his newly unblocked combat bonus?

TK

I would say that an army is blockading a square while it's in the square. If it leaves the square is stops blockading it there an then. So yes, in both these cases your opponent gets their bonus back (or gold).

If you to keep blockading the square move another army into the square first, or leave one there or something. Make sure you always have troops in the square.

As you could win the game during the movement phase (by taking an opponents capital) there's no reason why your opponent shouldn't also be able to win too.

scimon said:

As you could win the game during the movement phase (by taking an opponents capital) there's no reason why your opponent shouldn't also be able to win too.

But winning by destroying a Capital happens during the moving player's turn. Perhaps you have to wait for your turn, or the end of a phase of a game Turn to win?

The thing is all the victory conditions seem to fire as soon as they are met, and while this is mostly going to be when you do something I don't see why your opponent doing something shouldn't have an effect as well.

Makes it more tactical.

Here's a for instance, if in your opponents turn they attack you and you win and have Code of Laws in play you can gain a Gold Token. If that gives you your 15th then you win, there and then, even though it's the middle of your opponents movement phase.

So I don't see why ending a Blockade shouldn't happen as soon as the figure leaves the square.

I asked this exact question over at BoardGameGeek and the consensus there is the exact opposite, that the blockade wouldn't end until after the attack was resolved.

This is clearly an issue that needs to be addressed in the FAQ.