28. Is Scrub empty?

By Corbon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark FAQ Update Discussions

Background:
Scrub covers most of the Island map in SoB. It has no movement related affect, just a range related effect.
Can space traps be played on scrub spaces? Spike Pits would seen very logical and thematic. Crushing blocks less so, but no more or less that on the non-scrub island spaces like sand (explanations range from meteor strikes and aircraft 'waste'(!) to off-map catapults or - more likely - tree-related trap effects (trip a wire and a line to a bent tree releases, flinging a boulder or releasing a swinging tree trunk etc)).

Question:
Q. Are 'scrub' spaces counted as empty for any purposes? Can 'space' traps be played on scrub spaces? Can a Leaping figure end its movement on a scrub space? Can a normal figure end its movement on a scrub space?
A1. Scrub spaces may be treated like Corrupted Terrain. Scrub is treated as an empty space fr the purposes of playing traps. Once a trap has been played on it and left a token, it no longer counts as scrub.
A2. Scrub spaces are not empty for any purpose. They have scrub in them! Therefore you cannot play space traps in them, or finish a Leap Move* on them.
A3. Scrub spaces are treated as empty for the purposes of any movement (including Leaping), but not for playing traps. Of course, if a figure or other token (like a villager for example) is also in the space then it is not 'empty'.
A4. some other combination...

* See also the Leap question.

What about monsters? Can monsters be spawned on scrub?

Background:

Scrub covers most of the Island map in SoB. It has no movement related affect, just a range related effect.
Can space traps be played on scrub spaces? Spike Pits would seen very logical and thematic. Crushing blocks less so, but no more or less that on the non-scrub island spaces like sand (explanations range from meteor strikes and aircraft 'waste'(!) to off-map catapults or - more likely - tree-related trap effects (trip a wire and a line to a bent tree releases, flinging a boulder or releasing a swinging tree trunk etc)).

Question:
Q. Are 'scrub' spaces counted as empty for any purposes? Can 'space' traps be played on scrub spaces? Can a Leaping figure end its movement on a scrub space? Can a normal figure end its movement on a scrub space? Can a monster be spawned on a Scrub space?
A1. Scrub spaces may be treated like Corrupted Terrain. Scrub is treated as an empty space fr the purposes of playing traps and spawning monsters. Once a trap has been played on it and left a token, it no longer counts as scrub.
A2. Scrub spaces are not empty for any purpose. They have scrub in them! Therefore you cannot play space traps in them, or finish a Leap Move* on them, or spawn monsters on them.
A3. Scrub spaces are treated as empty for the purposes of any movement (including Leaping), but not for playing traps. Of course, if a figure or other token (like a villager for example) is also in the space then it is not 'empty'.
A4. some other combination...

* See also the Leap question.

Any objections to the previous post (not the original) tranferring to the FPD?

A3. misses the spawning aspect, otherwise good to go.

Wait! A1 asumes that you can spawn on corrupted terrain. For what I know, you can't. Corrupted terrain is empty for the purpose of playing trap cards, but it's still an obstacle, so you can't spawn there. At least that's what I understood from the FAQ. As Parathion said, A3 misses the spawn aspect. It should be added.

Galvancito1 said:

Wait! A1 asumes that you can spawn on corrupted terrain. For what I know, you can't. Corrupted terrain is empty for the purpose of playing trap cards, but it's still an obstacle, so you can't spawn there. At least that's what I understood from the FAQ. As Parathion said, A3 misses the spawn aspect. It should be added.

Here's the relevant text from the FAQ. Note that the first part of the answer saying that corrupted terrain is considered 'empty' relates to whether corrupted terrain is an obstacle or not. Corrupted terrain being treated as empty is not limited to trap cards.

Q: Is corrupted terrain an obstacle? Can the overlord play trap cards on it?

A: Corrupted terrain is treated as an empty space . Once a trap has been played on it, it no longer counts as corrupted.

So it is an obstacle... that isn't treated as an obstacle? Quite weird.

Anyway, the answer says that it is treated as empty, but the rules say that monsters cannot be spawned on obstacles. Even if the space is considered empty, I don't see when it stops being an obstacle. It's not that clear, I mean, the answer is a bit ambiguous.

Ok, I supose I'll have to live with that, this is not the right forum to discuss it.

Galvancito1 said:

Even if the space is considered empty, I don't see when it stops being an obstacle.

If a space is empty, it doesn't have anything in it - so it doesn't count as having an obstacle in it even though it does actually have an obstacle in it.