26. Focused out Power cards and Reinforcing

By Corbon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark FAQ Update Discussions

This one is probably simple enough not to need a background explanation

Q: If the Overlord uses the 'Focused' upgrade to send a Power card (such as DOOM!) to the Graveyard, do Lieutenants who 'have' that power still place the card in play during their battles and when fortifying nearby dungeons?
A1: No they do not; the card is out of play forever!
A2: They still get the benefit of the card, it is simply no longer in the Overlord deck.

Seriously? This question needed to be asked?

First off, who in their right mind as the Overlord player takes out a power card of their deck when using treachery! And secondly, Why would you want to remove a power card from the deck for the rest of the campaign?

This just seems idiotic to me.

Well, these topics have been discussed at some point with player groups and although it may seem "idiotic" it is something that still needs to be clarified.

Apparently morons need to be protected from themselves. gui%C3%B1o.gif

More seriously, the Sorceror King in particular often finds himself with excess threat and may wish to discard cards with a high threat value but low playing utility, instead of cards with a lower threat value but usually-very-low-but-occasionally-very-high playing utility.

It is a valid question.

As the one who asked the question, I certainly don't find it "idiotic." Fairly marginal yes, but only because I'm not a big fan of the Focused upgrade to begin with.

As the Sorcerer King, DOOM! and Brilliant Commander are DEFINITELY the first cards to go so long as the Lieutenants can still use them. Remember that you will be swapping out several cards with Treachery as well, since you will want/need Treachery for your lieutenant fights. Many of the 'bad' cards can be good in very specific circumstances - I'd rather swap such cards out with Treachery most of the time but have the option to still have them if the need arises. DOOM! and BC are NEVER good for anything except 5 threat, which the Sorcerer King doesn't need, so they are the perfect cards to take out with Focused.

The_Immortal said:

DOOM! and BC are NEVER good for anything except 5 threat, which the Sorcerer King doesn't need, so they are the perfect cards to take out with Focused.

Actually, Brilliant Commander can be one of the most powerful cards in some Rumour or Legendary dungeons where the OL knows what monsters he will be able to use it to upgrade. A Silver Master tier 4 monster in copper campaign can be very, very, tough for the heroes, for example - a Master Medusa or Naga instead of a normal. Or an extra Gold Master Beastman (Command 2) etc, etc.

But yes, mostly Doom and BC are only good for threat and the Sorceror King rarely needs threat from his card draws.

I strongly disagree with this tactic, but this is not the place or time for such a heated debate over this.

Jonny WS said:

I strongly disagree with this tactic, but this is not the place or time for such a heated debate over this.

What tactic? The purpose is just to find out whether they are reasonable cards to discard or not. If the answer is the Lts lose them, then they probably won't be discarded. If the answer is the Lts don't lose them, then they might be. That isn't a tactic, it is just making sure that the effects of a choice are correctly known before making that choice.

As for time and place, i'm just happy to see any attention being paid here at all! gui%C3%B1o.gif

To add more to the confusion what happens when 2 LT are reinforcing a dungeon with both doom cards? Something that happened in our campaign with sir alric and the demon LT reinforcing a dungeon. It's quite a valid question. Do you get the 2nd doom from the treachery deck or something?

Interesting question. It would really only matter if you had the expansion in which the extra DOOM! was in. Otherwise, you would have to add the second DOOM! with treachery and then you could pull it out. That is how I would see it happening.

Corbon said:

Q: If the Overlord uses the 'Focused' upgrade to send a Power card (such as DOOM!) to the Graveyard, do Lieutenants who 'have' that power still place the card in play during their battles and when fortifying nearby dungeons?
A2: They still get the benefit of the card, it is simply no longer in the Overlord deck.

The answer is in the rules. P. 17:

Lieutenants Fortifying Dungeons

[...] Before play begins in the dungeon, the overlord looks through his Overlord deck and places the cards listed beneath the portraits on the fortifying lieutenant's cards into play for free. [...]

Focused: When you purchase this upgrade, choose and permanently remove four cards from your Overlord deck .

So it is A1.

To the question of what happens when two Lieutenants with Doom! fortify a dungeon, we can deduce from the above that the OL has to put in the second Doom! with Treachery if he wants two Doom! s.

If we put in frequently asked questions (which to my knowledge this isn't) that are answered by the rules, we might as well put in One Fist's hook attack questions, which indeed do get frequently asked.

Ispher said:

Corbon said:

[...] Before play begins in the dungeon, the overlord looks through his Overlord deck and places the cards listed beneath the portraits on the fortifying lieutenant's cards into play for free. [...]

Focused: When you purchase this upgrade, choose and permanently remove four cards from your Overlord deck .

So it is A1.

To the question of what happens when two Lieutenants with Doom! fortify a dungeon, we can deduce from the above that the OL has to put in the second Doom! with Treachery if he wants two Doom! s.

If we put in frequently asked questions (which to my knowledge this isn't) that are answered by the rules, we might as well put in One Fist's hook attack questions, which indeed do get frequently asked.

Fair enough. I see that this is clearly answered by the rules and IMO not necessary to ask and can be removed from the final list. Any objections?

Corbon said:

Ispher said:

So it is A1.

Corbon said:

Fair enough. I see that this is clearly answered by the rules and IMO not necessary to ask and can be removed from the final list. Any objections?

With the relevant text side by side like that it does seems quite clear cut by the RAW. +1 to removing it from the list of questions.

So, any last objections to removing this (not adding it to the FPD)?