Core Game officially launced.

By marius8, in CoC General Discussion

See the announcement here . The Core set is finally there! :D

CT18.jpg

So, it was released early in the UK then?

The_Big_Show said:

So, it was released early in the UK then?

I would assume so. You got it a few days later than the FFG office, I think. So, it probably shipped directly from the printer to the local distributer or something like that...

unless i missed it i didnt see any rule changes, but i just skimmed the rules too.

wait i just noticed something. pg 11.

No more than four conspiracy cards with the same title may be in a player’s deck. ????????

i thought card limit was three, are conspiracies an exception to the rule????

PearlJamaholic said:

unless i missed it i didnt see any rule changes, but i just skimmed the rules too.

No more than four conspiracy cards with the same title may be in a player’s deck. ????????

Yeah, that's a bit weird. I've already mailed FFG about that one...

Also, therei s more info on the upcoming sets:

The Summons of the Deep Asylum Packs
This series of 6 Asylum Packs is linked by a serial mythos tale recounting the madness and transformation of Julia Brown . Follow her
descent into nightmare as the story is told in six segments, continued in each Asylum Pack, and brought to life in the artwork and flavor
of the cards.

-and-

descendant-eibon-lg.jpg

The Terror of the Tides
Julia Brown’s nightmare reaches a fever pitch as the serial expansion
continues with The Terror of the Tides . This Asylum Pack is
highlighted by a newfound emphasis on the Arcane struggle, and
it also features the Descendant of Eibon , the original card designed
by 2007 Call of Cthulhu world champion, Jim Black .

I'll admit I'm a bit surprised it made it out. I would have given even odds the whole was going to be deep sixed. The book's nicely laid out and seems to encompasses all the errata & rule clarifications.

Things I've noticed after a quick run through:

Invulnerability has replaced Invulnerable.

Toughness could have used an explanation of what happens to a wounded character if Toughness is lost.

"Note that as more cards become available for the Call of Cthulhu
LCG, the minimum number of required cards in a deck may
increase for organized play." -Kinda odd. Is this just to help break up combo decks?

"To our playtesters: too numerous to list, but too important to be left off. Thank you!"-too numerous? Really?

I don't really understand the big advertisements for the CCG in the back, why promote a dead part of the game?

And one delicious bit of irony from the rule book

"Setup
Before playing the Call of Cthulhu LCG, both players follow these quick steps in order:
1. Shuffle the Decks.
As with a deck of playing cards, each player shuffles the cards in his
deck until they are sufficiently randomized ."

First thing too. partido_risa.gif

Donald said:

"Note that as more cards become available for the Call of Cthulhu

LCG, the minimum number of required cards in a deck may
increase for organized play." -Kinda odd. Is this just to help break up combo decks?

This has been around since... Arkham block?

PearlJamaholic said:

Looks like a typo, but that's a strange one to get through. P. 14 doesn't mention that exception.

Marius said:

This has been around since... Arkham block?

So it has. Old things take on a new light in new circumstance.

Marius said:

This series of 6 Asylum Packs is linked by a serial mythos tale recounting the madness and transformation of Julia Brown . Follow her descent into nightmare as the story is told in six segments, continued in each Asylum Pack, and brought to life in the artwork and flavor of the cards.

I love this.

Creating a storyline around a single character so as to link the 6 upcoming AP is a *very* good idea.

Is Julia Brown a canonical lovecraftian character or is she from Chaosium? I admit ignorance of the matter, but the name doesn't look "lovecrafty"...

I'm pretty sure she's a character FFG have made up for themselves.

So anyone got infos on Julia Brown ??? WIll we have a "JuliaBrown" character evolving on each AP pack ???

Seems a little bit strange on this. But the rules efinitely rocks ! Conspiraciues are ruled, we know a little bit more about tiny points and tournaments were evoqued! That's sweet !

PRODIGEE said:

So anyone got infos on Julia Brown ??? WIll we have a "JuliaBrown" character evolving on each AP pack ???

Seems a little bit strange on this. But the rules efinitely rocks ! Conspiraciues are ruled, we know a little bit more about tiny points and tournaments were evoqued! That's sweet 0!

You yourself found some clues . ;) It's not that weird though; Arkham block dealt a lot with Norman Blackwood , Victoria Glasser and all that.

just for future reference, if its a female character 95% chance it isnt a lovecraft creation. lovecraft very rarely used female charcters and never as lead or anything. this might be handy too.

http://www.gordon-fernandes.com/hp-lovecraft/characters.htm

seems that lovecraft did use the the brown's in some storys maybe julia is related to them somehow......

Thanks for the link and for the heads up on Lovecraft writing.

I was thinking more about Chaosium stuff. After all pretty much all many post-EE named characters were from Chaosium inventions, and I seem to remember at least one or two female characters of not secondary importance in Mask of Nyarlathotep rpg campaign.

Arkham had already a lot of Chaosium in it. Just look at the Spell cards; Those are lifted straight from the RPG.