Reduced muzzle velocity for larger games

By guest99239, in Dust Tactics

Thinking of games on larger boards, and the problem of being picked off at long range by the walkers - how about removing 1 dice from the roll for every square over 9 that unlimited weapons fire, down to say 3 dice minimum - it reduced their effectivess at longer range, without completly removing the threat.

i dont see it as that necessary . even as the battle grows , wise use of terrain will make the unlimited range weapons less deadly , and wise placemnet makes the troops last longer , remember 2 light covers equal a hard cover , so throw some extra ammo crates out there or the like ..........

when i play minis games i generaly have 2 methods of set up ;

for larger battles , each player is given a certain area of the battle field to prepare as they see fit . once the table is set up , the opposing players can modify each others areas , within reason , to ensure there is enough space to maneuver , and that its not a total turkey shoot .

for smaller battles , if one person sets it up , the opposing player can make reasonable modifications or additions to add in more hiding spots or room to maneuver ,etc ........... so even with unlimited range , we will have plenty of room to move and hide .

while we are waiting for te expansions , we are house ruling things like trees and blown up buildings and such so its offering the infantry alot of options to get within range to kill a vehicle .

and even without it all , i have seen to many games where the dice just totaly failed , ex: mission 3 , hot dog survived 3 turns of combined enemy walker fire , in the open , and managed to kill a luther before finally dieing .

also keep n mind that each side has a walker with range U , and they become the primary targets , so they will die more quickly , most of the time .

Panzerfaust101 said:

Thinking of games on larger boards, and the problem of being picked off at long range by the walkers - how about removing 1 dice from the roll for every square over 9 that unlimited weapons fire, down to say 3 dice minimum - it reduced their effectivess at longer range, without completly removing the threat.

I love it. I'm gonna write that one down and incorporate it. On a lesser note, have you considered playing a map with a water hazard like a stream in it that is impassable by infantry but through which the walkers can pass?

Considering that the game is played at the scale it is...and the weapons that are "unlimited" range should easily have range much larger than the play area, I am much more in favor of increasing the amount of cover-granting terrain rather than penalizing the big guns for being big. "If you don't want to be blasted by the big cannon over there...don't stand in front of it." or "If you don't wanna be blown up, HIDE!"

That is no need to make the game that complicated. The grid we play is very small already. The typical range is WW2 is 1000 metres(?) or under. Nowadays, a tank can have an effective range of 2000 to 3000 metres. When you put down to 1/48, you house cannot accomodate such space.

Remember, it IS an 88 we are talking about. You do remember that on D-Day 88s were pounding the beaches from MILES away correct?

The biggest game we've played so far was 3' x 6' and Unlimited range of the 88's really had no effect as there was enough terrain to prevent any shooting galleries.

BigDogg said:

The biggest game we've played so far was 3' x 6' and Unlimited range of the 88's really had no effect as there was enough terrain to prevent any shooting galleries.

And that is the key, Terrain.

Is that anything like the three most important things in real estate?

-Jeff