Great big game last night!

By blkdymnd, in Dust Tactics

So, we pooled together our 2 box sets last night and played a 30 point game. We setup a 3 X 5 foot board of antarctic tiles and then filled the board with obstructions/buildings and hard and soft cover. This was a basic VP mission, no objectives, we just wanted to see how well it scaled up in bigger point games. We were not dissapointed. Outside of the scenario book, this game still plays so well. We did 2 games last night and the first game was kind of a slaughter for the American forces as i tried to figure out how to counter the Germans range advantage on a bigger board. The second game came right down to it, the Americans still lost, but it was a Pounder on the back edge of the table vs. 2 half squads of german infantry with a Panzershrek in each. And the last turn before they took the Pounder out, our other American player rolled horribly against the 2 squads.

We are so glad this game scales up so well, even with a slight advantage to the Germans in an open, free form game. Once the support robots hit the shelves, I think it'll balance out a bit. 2 fantastic games though, and it should keep us busy while we wait for the really good stuff to start releasing.

Sounds great as points game. I am looking forward to the squad leader add ons discussed in the end of the rule book. Think it will do a lot for this type of game.

Thanks for the heads up - i was almost convinced id buy another copy - after this post im certain. I hear your comment about the range - playing a couple of games as the yanks last night - in a cluttered board the BBQ squad and Hotdog come into their own, i decimated the left flank of the german player - but on a larger board the unlimited range of the german walkers for both main weapons would be an advantage - this is where i thought about putting in more cover - maybe not just in the centre of the board - so your squad does not get decimated by the german walkers before it can move into position. Mabe give each side 1-2 extra bits of cover they van put in their board half?

at 30 points , how long did the game take time wise , and how many turns did it go for you ?

GrandInquisitorKris said:

at 30 points , how long did the game take time wise , and how many turns did it go for you ?

time was great. We got both games in (setup included) in about 2 1/2 hours total. And both games were in the area of 4-5 turns I believe. May have been 5-6.

Fantastic idea, me and a mate have a set each i can see this happening quite often.

I agree, in close combat, hot dog and bbq squad are a nightmare!

I have two sets and played a couple large games and it is great. I think it would be a good idea for FFG to sell just some tiles down the road, unless the support walkers will come with a couple tiles.

I am very excited to try even larger games. Keep us posted as to the outcome of further games, please.