Finding Babylon

By crowgirl, in Grimm RPG

I've just started my Grimm campaign, so this is a little ways off yet, but I was wondering how other people have handled the "finding Babylon" aspect of the Grimm story? What did you use as your "Babylon" and how did the kids come to it?

Thanks!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=84&efcid=3&efidt=348254 gran_risa.gif

Just so you can see some ideas that are already posted. Try and pick a theme for campaign. Don't just pick the end objective, but look at the overall goal that you want the players to try and achieve. Do they need to raise an army to defeat the Rotten King and rid the Grimm Lands of evil influence and reveal the doorway back home? Or perhaps the 7 Dwarves each have a riddle or task leading the players one step closer to Babylon. Maybe a powerful wizard that once knew how to open a portal back home, but it will take a great deal of effort to acquire the ingredients necessary to jog his memory. After you have this idea, figure out what Babylon will be, for me, it's going to be a well (as thats how the players arrived) in the golden city of Babylon....just outside of the Underworld passed the local towns of Near Certain Death and Certain Death.

My babylon is a machine the children must assemble. One peice is in the sea, one is in the sky, one is in the underworld, one is in the forest, one is in the mountains, one is in the river, one is at the edge of the world, one is in Wonderland, and one is somewhere in the Checkerboard Kingdom.

Fantastic ideas guys,

If we ever get around to our Grimm campaign my Babylon is going to be one of a few options;

A boat that sails from a specific point at a specific time of day (and we all know how flexible those concepts can be in Grimm) but you can only see it if you have a certain combination of items in the group (which i've yet to decide on)

Finding the Great Glass Elevator in Charlies Chocolate Factory and knowing the right button to push

Defeating the Rotten King and the Big Bad Wolf

and finally

Saving the City of Babylon from the Rotten Kings army.

Surak

One suggested theme in the book that struck me was that the characters had to grow up, or at least get past some of the negative traits associated with childhood, to get home. I think my Finding Babylon is going to be focused on charity, becoming less selfish, since that's a pretty common negative aspect of being "childish" as opposed to being "childlike." I don't have the details ironed out yet, but they'll spend some time searching for a set of items that they think hold the key home - and then at the very end, someone they've never met will appear asking for just those items because they need them to heal their dying spouse, or something along those lines. If the kids give up what they think is their only chance home to help another, the stranger will reveal him/herself to be a powerful magic-user, preferably the same one that set them on the track of these items in the first place, and send them home.

I actually really like this idea. Because if you put yourself in the players' shoes, that'd be such an awesome feeling when you finally get back the way you did. But, the only I'd caution you about is: What if they don't give up the items??

Well, while saying "sorry, you're stuck, you should've done the right thing" would be appropriate for a story, it's not much good for a game, even a game that is very story-centric. So I suppose they'd be sent on a quest of atonement or something along those lines. I just had the idea today, and the game starts in January, so there's some ironing out to be done.