No deck building, just go random

By Morbid666, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

Me and my friends do not build decks, we find that it gets boring. What we do is simply divide all the order cards into 1 or 2 decks(there are so many now) and do the same with the destruction deck. Then we play. Everycard we draw is at random. Anyone else do this. I`m telling you it is great not knowing what you are about to pick up and you have to really develop strategy on the fly, try it and let me know what you think ;)

I was thinking about random decks too, a gamemaster probably should do an ok split (~25 units ~10 supports ~15 tactics) or you might have a tactic flood.

Building decks is at the heart of LCG though, imho, and it's by far the most interesting thing about it. I can see where it might be fun, though, to make Random decks but I can't see calling Deck-building "boring" by any means. It's the coolest thing about the game, other than the theme or gameplay itself.

I agree with you White fang. At the same time though, it has become a little tiresome to me that deck building today has coem down to what cards to put with innovation/contested village and warpstone excavation.

I am thinking of a deck building system where you design smaller decks and have a draft system of the neutral cards or something like that just to mix things up a bite.

Its almost time to rename the game to "innovative contested warpstone village hammer"

Deck building can be heart if you still are able to choose your path ingame.
At the moment you mainly just draw and it is obvious what you will do.

An random is still about knowing the cards and the things you can do with them.

One great solution (and it did wonders for Spellfire back in the day) is to have tournaments with different deck-sizes. An unfortunate (and from my perspective, somewhat annoying) aspect of people bringing other card-game experience into W:I with them, is the blind assumption that decks simply HAVE to be a minimum size (50 cards, for example). This limits things too much, especially when 9 cards are nearly a must-have for any and every deck (WE, CV, and Innovation) leaving players with a paltry 41 cards to play with when deck-building.

Simple, easy solution (though FFG hasn't always shown an inclination for the going the simplest, most common-sense route in the past, necessarily) is to have tournaments for different sized decks. Have a 50- card level, a 60 card level, and a Battle Royale level at 75 cards. At the 65 level, you could bump up the amount of damage it would take to burn a zone to say 10pts. At Battle Royale level, it might be 12pts to burn a zone.

Easy, fun solution that makes deck-building interesting again. Viola!

Morbid666 said:

Me and my friends do not build decks, we find that it gets boring. What we do is simply divide all the order cards into 1 or 2 decks(there are so many now) and do the same with the destruction deck. Then we play. Everycard we draw is at random. Anyone else do this. I`m telling you it is great not knowing what you are about to pick up and you have to really develop strategy on the fly, try it and let me know what you think ;)

Playing random without deck building requires far more adaptation, stress management and fast intelligence ingame than a deck containing combos inspired from elsewhere or a deck you builded peacefully at home (I've been a long time Magic player who won tournaments and stuffs). I don't play builded deck anymore too, and I play random with a friend of mine who shares the same point of view.

Warhammer Invasion, Assault On Ulthuan extension and the whole Cycle of corruption authorized random play because the number of cards balanced their power (ie Troll Vomit x1, Waaaagh! x1). After that they sold the extensions and battle pack with x3 of each no matter the power.

Can someone help me to introduce the right number of cards in my random decks from March Of The Damned and Cycle of the Ennemy so to keep them balanced ? For now, we decided to add only one card of each... but that's a bit of a waste of bucks...

Please someone answer my question before this thread goes back to the Chaos Warp. :)

Re: Balanced random deck

I, too, am interested. I don't really enjoy deck building, but I like the personality of this game and the challenge of making your cards work for you. If there was an easy way to balance the game and keep the random-ish experience of playing with just the core cards and the variety of the expansion decks, that would just be awesome.