Reaccuring(sp) Villain

By SonofRuss, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

So in every game ive run for my group ive had a reaccuring villain, so now i was thinking what would make a good villain and heres some of the ideas i had:

Dark Eldar Archon

- Pros: Bad Ass in combat so he would be able to defend himself, incubus group

-Cons: No magic to escape with

Eldar Warseer

-Pros: all sort of eldar psykic powers

-Cons: A little frail in combat

But Im completely open to all ideas from my fellow GMs. and I would like some freed back on the suggestions i gave, or even some pointers, things to do with them, twists in stories, so on so on.

thanks

Son

As for the "Cons", there is an easy way to fix both: Give them "Touched by the Fates".

If you are not familiar with the trait, it gives NPCs Fate Poins that they can use like PCs, including burning them to escape death.

In fact, the Farseer in "Lure of the Expanse" for Rogue Trader has just this trait and as far as I am concerned an Archon is important enough to be Touched by the Fates aswell.

Edit: In fact, this trait was introduced to support the use of recurring villains, as even the most sly of players can not compete with a burned fate point, so you do not need to fear having your reccuring villain shot down by your players suddenly being more competent than you expected.

Recurring villians are awsome idea I have one in my game storm trooper sergent from a blighted schola as a baddy . He escaped during my first game and trying to restablish his power base the DW team destroyed in the first mission

The villian doesnt alwalys have to duke it out with the marines himself, minions, cunning traps, and underminning there efforts and alwalys have a hidden guncutter for the purposes of escape. Fate points are handy as well.

I'm using a Tau Commander as my reoccurring villain in my game, well, that and Hive Fleet Betrayer, but for the purposes of this post lets just focus on the Tau Commander.

First off, as a commander they don't have to have direct exposure to the commander for him to be against them. His colors can be present, his orders, his troops, etc, etc. Granted, at some point they will have to meet (at which point having Touched by the Fates is a great trait to have just in case), but there are other ways to work it. For one, when this commander meets the kill team, it will be on his terms, and on ground he has prepared. For another, he will know when to cut his losses and run should the KT do amazingly well. The last part, and this is true for all the fights I run, he will be able to win.

I am also going to be building him up in other ways too. Letting the players have small victories, while the commander wins the overall battle. So, yes the mission was successful, the players won, but at the same time the bad guy also got what he wanted. In this way, hopefully I can convey that he is a serious threat, and needs to be taken seriously.

The big thing with villains is to make them smart, and play them smart. The rest should carry over well. Also, when you can, hit the players where it hurts, and hit them hard.

Both varieties of Eldar have at least one fantastic Get Out Of Death clause: the webway. An adventure in Purge The Unclean makes ample use of this.

Wow thanks for the great feed back. Yeah i think im leaning towards the archon but i do really like the idea of the team not doing too much direct combat with him. Also thanks for the "touched by fate" talent that with the webway will be perfect for that super annoying bed guy.

On a side note anyone have stats for an archon, or even a good place to start building stats. And the last thing i would need is his weapons i just have the weapons out of the purge the unclean for the splinter pistol and rifle.

thanks again for your help everyone

My villain is actually an Alpha Legion space marine. He is going to be pulling the strings behind most of the plots that they encounter. What's even better, is that they have already met and captured him for interrogation.

When they get back from their latest mission, they're going to discover that he escaped. They had a hard time deciding to capture him in the first place... once they discover his escape, they'll be livid. happy.gif

SpawnoChaos said:

My villain is actually an Alpha Legion space marine. He is going to be pulling the strings behind most of the plots that they encounter. What's even better, is that they have already met and captured him for interrogation.

When they get back from their latest mission, they're going to discover that he escaped. They had a hard time deciding to capture him in the first place... once they discover his escape, they'll be livid. happy.gif

Mine might be one of the Fallen (turned Daemon Prince). My DA Librarian encountered him in the past in his human guise.

Alex

How about a renegade Imperial official (Imperial Guard Colonel, Naval Captain, or- gasp! - Ordo Xenos Inquisitor) who has turned traitor and is selling out Imperial secrets to various xeno groups. The Kill Team has to battle their way through the xenos exploiting the weaknesses the turncoat has revealed in the Imperial defenses, in an effort to track down and terminate the traitor. But what is the traitor's ultimate goal...?

Potential for a decent little campaign...

out of curiousity does anyone know where i could find some stats on an archon or even just a rough idea to base them off of. thanks

I am planning a reaccuring villian , current idea is a cultist sort of a Bin Laden character always on the run so the players smash his network of cells only to find clues to the next , I might then twist it so when they finally nail him they find he is only one of several pawns for a Daemon Prince or an Aplha legionaire, also in an early ish mission the players are going to cross swords with the changling of tzeentch who should make a perfect villian

There is a thread in the forums somewhere (don't remember the link, sorry) with Eldar stats you could use.

Dark heresy Ascension, and Creatures Anathema also has Eldar stats. Not sure if they're the ones you need, but they are there. Rogue Trader also has some Eldar weaponry.