No Customizable Avi/Sig =/

By Sol Badguy, in UFS General Discussion

I find this change somewhat annoying. It;s harder to navigate and stuff.

I never much liked images in sigs, not so much because of my dislike of pictures, but because they tend to make it so there's a good 3-4 inches between one line posts. This site seems to have a good 2" space after posts, even with no sig at all. *tear*

I won't be happy with the avatars until "TheBat" stops using the 1 Bison avatar that was "personally" made for me lol!

Well, on a more potentially helpful note, there does seem to be a technical problem with double quote symbols in sigs.

Whether I look at/use the 'source' view or not, it keeps trying to add ampersands to the beginning of any line with a quote. As you can probably guess, this screws up the formatting.

Little tip for those unaware: You can compact your sigs a little bit by clicking on 'source' and replacing the new paragraph tags (< /p> followed by < p>) with line break tags (< br /> - remove the spaces on the left btw). Could help if you wanted something on more lines, just with less stuff per line.

ARMed_PIrate said:

Also, am I the only one without a widescreen, high-resolution monitor? I don't have the best eyes in the world, so I keep my res set to 800x600. Result? This new site looks like crap. Text runs out of its box all over the place, I can't see an entire text box at once, and it's generally hard to navigate.

I agree with Anitgoth. I was getting sick of seeing your avatars and signatures. I'm glad we have some regulation. This is probably why I play Order.

I guess I can understand not having images in sigs, it should atleast make the forums work smoother for people with slower connections and not have the mini fighting games going on in some sigs lol. But since we have image insert for message it suprises me a little. Still I miss my Yoshitora being ready for the attack =/

Btw, whats the the with the lack of Mitsurugi, Kazuki and Yoshitora =P

there are a lack of setsuka, makoto, cammy(only one of each of the preceeding), rera, yumeji, yuri, juni, juli(none of the preceeding).

I wish there was at least a rera or more makoto and cammy.

TripsEX said:

I agree with Anitgoth. I was getting sick of seeing your avatars and signatures. I'm glad we have some regulation. This is probably why I play Order.

:(

Might want to find a way to make quotes not count as the total characters needed to post. I got that through using only the smiley.

I'm glad they got rid of images in sigs. I've never used them personally because I've always found it annoying when people have these big flashy graphics in their sigs.

However, lack of custom avatars is not cool. My Red Boo is left sitting lonely on my desktop as a .gif and .jpg awaiting to be uploaded...

Also, as far as the forums themselves are considered... I really miss the scheme of the old forums, which was a lot brighter and less... blue and grey. it's very hard to navigate these forums, tell if there is a new post in a topic outside of actually clicking the forums, and in general, I hate how they have posting done...

whatever, we'll see what they give us as far as avatars/themes go and MAYBE after they finish out working the bugs, they'll reorganize the forums so it's not so much of a pain in the butt to navigate.

i think that its a good idea as you can easily monititor what people have on there profile but mabey a request system for avatars/sigs would be a good idea.

I'm fine with the lack of images in sigs. Never used them, never liked them, always found them a little disruptive and never figured out the reasoning behind why someone would want one.

Avatars, on the other hand, I reckon it's vital to have some individuality there. The selection at the moment is pretty deep and the ones chosen look fantastic, but it's inevitable that people will have to double up. I hate that. I identify a person by their avatar and it says a lot about their personality - it's basically their online face. Choosing from a preset list of those would suck in real life. I know I ain't the only Dan man on here.

Still, early days. Forum setup looks rather nice overall.

Lack of images in sigs does not mean less obnoxious sigs, just that they're less easily made.

Homme Chapeau said:

Lack of images in sigs does not mean less obnoxious sigs, just that they're less easily made.

I concur.

There are obnoxious text-only sigs, but they pale in comparision to the sheer depths of obnoxicity images can achieve. Granted, though, this forum (or rather, the old one) hasn't been plagued too badly by that.

It don't mean they couldn't have put some rules about sig, like no animated pics, maximum size, etc

Captain Ren said:

It don't mean they couldn't have put some rules about sig, like no animated pics, maximum size, etc

The amount of time spent dealing with that requires significant man hours. And honestly, with the amount of push back given over these subjects, it's not worth the cost to police.

The size limit requirements can actually be controlled by auto-blocking stuff that's too big. Avatar uploads are easier to control than image links in sigs, but it cuts out most of the "policing" required, for size violations at least.

Hell, a lot of forums have started putting in an auto-resize function, where anything linked into a post that's bigger than a certain size is instead shown inside a little box, shrunken to that size, where clicking on the box redirects your browser to the actual image. It would totally screw up most images that don't fit a particularly small sig image requirement, and that would be a good thing. Not only would the forums do some of the work for the mods, but "looking like crap" could get many people to fix their links themselves. =D

You know thinking about it, this is kinda a throw back to the old UFS forums =P

New look, classic style :D