14. Fleeing an Island level

By Corbon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark FAQ Update Discussions

Background
When fleeing a dungeon through glyphs, the heroes get back to their home port. When fleeing an encounter by leaving the map with the ship, the heroes are able to sail on. The rules do not say what happens to heroes who leave an Island level with their ship.

Question

Q: When the heroes flee from an Island level by leaving the map with the ship, do the heroes get back to their home port, or do they remain on the Island location?
A1: They get back to their home port. The Island location is marked as explored. The game week ends.
A2: They remain on the Island location, which is marked as explored. The game week ends.

Edit: Sorry, misread the original post slightly and thought there was a third answer. Now I realize there isn't because I misinterpreted the question. I vote for A2.

I would vote for A1. The island is part of the whole dungeon, so fleeing the island part would mean that they are fleeing the whole dungeon. Fleeing a dungeon or island means you move back to home port and the week ends.

I of course vote for A2. It feels thematically right, making the position of the heroes at the end of the dugeon correspond to their position on the map (when fleeing while everyone is in the home port city locations, they end in the home port city; when fleeing by leaving with the ship, they end near the Island on their ship). That's how we play in any case.

This is of course a true democracy - one man, one vote. That man (or woman) is the guy at FFG who does the FAQ answers! gran_risa.gif

Our job of course, is to see that he gets the best information and options in order to make that vote wisely.

Does that make us the anti-media? cool.gif

The logic behind my answer is that in SoB, all the islands are the same, so the heroes know what they are going to come across in that level. The same monsters and the same "trick" to winning. The only factor is the OL and his deck and play-style. Its the same thing with the dungeon cards, we all fought the eternal prisoner at least a few times, and each time for me was different. Some of those times I had to flee, and others they were a cake-walk.

The point is, the heroes KNOW what to expect (after a few campaigns) so if they want to flee, it should be the same punishment for fleeing a dungeon.

Background

When fleeing a dungeon through glyphs, the heroes get back to their home port. When fleeing an encounter by leaving the map with the ship, the heroes are able to sail on. The rules do not say what happens to heroes who leave an Island level with their ship.

Question

Q: When the heroes flee from an Island level by leaving the map with the ship, do the heroes get back to their home port, or do they remain on the Island location?
A1: They get back to their home port. The Island location is marked as explored. The game week ends.
A2: They remain on the Island location, which is marked as explored. The game week ends.

Comments: Any actual revision suggestions before it transfers to the FAQ proposal document?