promotional heroes

By Jack and THE Hammer, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

i've suddenly discovered there are a LOT of promotional Heroes relased for Descent, but no one of theme are arrived in the italian or others(as far as i know) version. neither the newest nara the fang!

Will the FF put them all in the next expansion or sell them all in a special Heroes-box expasion set?( ireally want them!)

Well I know that the promo heroes were originally made over in Europe somewhere. Not entirely sure what country/language. I gather they were a promotional product (go figure) for some sort of European convention. I have no idea how many were made, in what languages or whether they're still available. I wouldn't count on the latter, though.

FFG eventually translated and released these figures in English, but I think they ran out the last of their stock as door prizes at the Realms of Terrinoth event a couple months ago. They haven't announced any plans to make more in English, but it's not impossible, I suppose. I don't know how this sort of thing works with foreign language distributors, but I wouldn't count on them making the promo heroes just because an English print run was made.

If it makes you feel any better, two of the four are horribly broken. There is something to be said for not having them available in the game. If you absolutely must see them action yourself, you can easily find their hero cards (for all three games) online at BGG, run off copies of the hero cards and use substitute figures.

In addition to the four old ones, there's also some additional promo heroes that come with one of FFG's newer board games (DungeonQuest, I think?). I'm not sure what their provenance is.

Hi there, I'm Italian too, hence I can tell you what can be found in Italy and what cannot be easily found.

Nara The Fang is a promo hero released with the first "print" of Sea of Blood. Hence, if you bought Sea of Blood right away you should have her. She's a very strong melee DPS with great mobility. Not broken (unless you're facing a very big Avatar) but nicely strong character.

There are 3 Promo heroes that I guess could be found in Single Pack expansion, but they're practically impossible to find: Jonas The Kind, Truthseer Kel, Tobin Farslayer. Kel and Tobin are considered broken by most (well...Kel was misinterpreted for a long time as being able to prevent spawning due to unfortunate wording of her ability). Personally I faced both Jonas and Kel. They're nice heroes, but some of the "absolutely official" heroes are even more broken and I can assure you they can be stopped just like any other hero around. My only suggestion for them is find their sheets on the Internet (Google Images always works) and print them, then use substitute figures.

With the recent release of Dungeonquest, 6 new heroes came to Terrinoth's lands. Brother Gherinn, Challara, Hugo The Glorious, Krutzbeck, Lindel, Tatianna. I have no experience with them so far, so I can't tell you which are broken and which are normal. Gherinn and Tatianna seem very strong, the others should be ok. I just checked and Dungeonquest is distributed in Italy as well, hence you could get miniatures and sheets for all 6 characters there. Otherwise, you can apply the same method as per the other characters, but I believe you can have high resolution sheets only for Gherinn, Challara, and Lindel and decent resolution only for Hugo and Krutzbeck, while it's harder to find nice resolution images for Tatianna.

That's all Folks.

i've buy Sob immidiatly when was relased! but there is not hero inside the box so i've call back the shop, but they confirm me the promotional hero was only for the english version, they have both version of the game at the shop and for the imported one there's a sticers that say "promotional hero inside" but for the italian not.

i cant buy AGAIN SoB only for a promotional hero preocupado.gif

but probably i'll buy Dungeon quest if i'll found good rewiews on it

i've found a good site where i can take the picture and print it to my self, but it's not the same things... so i'm still hoping for a Hero-box.. or maybe when tomb of ice will be relased the italian revisor will put some or all of them inside...(my last hope)

I see...I bought Sea of Blood in English, so I found Nara there...so lame it wasn't included in Italian version.

A box with Promo Heroes would be nice too.

As for printing sheets, the quality varies greatly depending on your printer, of course, but I strongly recommend that you glue the printed sheet on cardboard. Having a "broader" sheet really improves the "feeling" of playing with an actual character (the problem with the miniature remains, but if you're a board-game player and/or a wargame player, I'm pretty sure you should find fitting proxies for that, which might be even better than originals). I used this technique for all heroes I made with the "Create Your Own Hero" official tool, and for all heroes I made with my variant of Antistone's Editor.

I must say that most of the times the result was very very satisfactionary.

Antistone said:

In addition to the four old ones, there's also some additional promo heroes that come with one of FFG's newer board games (DungeonQuest, I think?). I'm not sure what their provenance is.

Personally, I don't really consider the DQ heroes "promos." Maybe this is just my way of thinking, but to me the term "promo" implies "limited distribution." They're the kind of things that are offered at conventions or in collector's editions of products, to entice customers to shell out more money than they otherwise would.

The heroes in DQ will continue to be distributed for as long as DQ stays in print. Perhaps I missed an announcement about the hero cards for the other games being a limited time offer included only in the first print run of DQ or something (in which case, fair enough, they're promos.) As far as I know, however, those cards will be included in DQ forever, so I consider it a bonus but not really a promo, if you see what I mean.

Posted it before, but if it helps - can offer a copy of all promos with German cards besides Kel who never was released here AFAIK. PM me with an offer if interested.

I would be willing to buy your Tobin and Jonas I have no idea how to send you a PM though

According to BGG Nara the Fang, Jonas the Kind, Truthseer Kel and Tobin Farslayer were included in all preordered French versions of Road to Legend, not sure if this is correct however.

There were still german versions of Nara, Tobin and Jonas for sale at the FFG booth at Essen last month. I have all the promo heroes as well as the DungeonQuest heroes and I personally haven't found them to be totally broken although I haven't faced all of them yet, like Jonas or Tatianna.

Kel is merely a very decent mage, Krutzbeck can be a pain at times with his +2 armor when he's at 4 health or less. Still, he's weak against traps even though he's only worth 2CT. Lindel is very versatile although I'm not sure he'd make a very good mage since mages tend to be squishy, something which a 5CT worth character can't really afford. I've also found his ability (swap out a skill card for a random new one once per area) doesn't get used all that much.

Tobin is pretty powerful, although in my last game he did cost the heroes the victory. I hit him with the iron boots dark relic when he was grabbing a silver chest alone in a corridor with the rest of the heroes at least 20 spaces away, which meant he couldn't reach the glyph he was aiming for (he had a +2 speed skill, which put him at 10 speed when declaring a run). I subsequently killed him off on my next turn which left the heroes with 2CT. They decided to ignore the glyph and move on since it was now guarded by a troll and a manticore.

Two or three turns later I could spawn a master Deep Elf almost next to Krutzbeck, and 6 pierce was more then enough to wither away his last 4HP.

Off all the extra heroes, I think Jonas is probably the most powerful due to his ability. Crushing blow immunity and with some smart use of his surges he can negate Undying most of the time. I dread the day someone pulls this hero when we're starting a campaign.

I have played two campaigns with Jonas in the hero party. One both sides.

From the OL point of view: His ability to make his items unbreakable is only somewhat annoying. If you give him the pack of holding and let him just hold onto stuff that you want to save for later in the game...like web or daze weapons then its pretty good.
As for him being able to get passed undying and curse, that is by far the most annoying ability, especially if the heroes also have the copper Staff of the Grave.

From the Heroes point of view: Playing as him, I have found that he is quite weak for being a primary Melee hero, And giving him extra armor will make him slower. His dice are also pretty weak to start the game (which can be fixed later) Right now, He has a +2 fatigue upgrade, ghost armor, and enchanted breastplate. He is able to take a little beating, but not as much as I would like.

sgierlinger said:

I would be willing to buy your Tobin and Jonas I have no idea how to send you a PM though

You need to add kilrah to your friends list.

I found this thread while doing a search for promo figures. I'm trying to find out more about the ones that came with Dungeon Quest. Do I get them all if I buy Dungeon Quest, or are they randomly distributed?

steveg700 said:

I found this thread while doing a search for promo figures. I'm trying to find out more about the ones that came with Dungeon Quest. Do I get them all if I buy Dungeon Quest, or are they randomly distributed?

There are no "promo" figures in DQ. There are 6 standard heroes that come with the game, and there are hero cards for RB, RW and Descent for each of the 6 heroes. This is not a limited time offer, as far as I know. If you buy DQ three years from now, it should still have hero cards for the other games in it.

I have all 4 promo heroes (Tobin, Kel, Nara, and Jonas) for sale if anyone is interested. I have the figures and their hero cards in english.

Jaes said:

I have all 4 promo heroes (Tobin, Kel, Nara, and Jonas) for sale if anyone is interested. I have the figures and their hero cards in english.

Definitely interested. Not sure how to PM or send emails via the forum though.

steveg700 said:

Jaes said:

Definitely interested. Not sure how to PM or send emails via the forum though.

The only way I know how to send messages is by requesting someone as a friend. Then you can send each other messages through the website that are delivered to your email address.

Again, If anyone has these available please PM me. I am interested in Truthseer Kel, Jonas the Kind, and Tobin Farslayer. If you wish to sell them let me know the total rate and which cards and in what languages are available. Thank you so much. Oh and if you have a stealth die as well. Thank you :)

Aussie B said:

Again, If anyone has these available please PM me. I am interested in Truthseer Kel, Jonas the Kind, and Tobin Farslayer. If you wish to sell them let me know the total rate and which cards and in what languages are available. Thank you so much. Oh and if you have a stealth die as well. Thank you :)

Sorry, that last bit caught me off guard. You need a stealth die? You shouldn't need a stealth die for anything unless you own Tomb of Ice, and if you own Tomb of Ice you should've received one with it. If your copy of ToI was missing a Stealth die, you can contact FFG's customer support to get a new one, they're pretty good about replacing missing bits.

If you just want one for homebrewed heroes or something and you don't own or want ot purchase ToI, you can use a regular 6-sided die and say 5 or 6 equals X. The stealth die has two X faces and four blank faces.

Steve-O said:

Aussie B said:

Sorry, that last bit caught me off guard. You need a stealth die? You shouldn't need a stealth die for anything unless you own Tomb of Ice, and if you own Tomb of Ice you should've received one with it. If your copy of ToI was missing a Stealth die, you can contact FFG's customer support to get a new one, they're pretty good about replacing missing bits.

If you just want one for homebrewed heroes or something and you don't own or want ot purchase ToI, you can use a regular 6-sided die and say 5 or 6 equals X. The stealth die has two X faces and four blank faces.

Yes, that last bit was correct. There was an incident with my stealth die, but my playgroup holds great fear of the dreaded clear X. I would like to actually replace this product, rather than find another way to simulate the die, if possible. :)

Aussie B said:

Yes, that last bit was correct. There was an incident with my stealth die, but my playgroup holds great fear of the dreaded clear X. I would like to actually replace this product, rather than find another way to simulate the die, if possible. :)

So contact FFG's customer support for that. Probably a lot easier than finding someone who has one to spare, and cheaper, too. =)