Strange Eons 2.1

By Thelric, in Fan Creations

You'd need to replace one of the dimensional symbols for that; or else if the image completely covered the symbol you could just add an onPaint handler. One way to change the symbol would be to patch the key that defines the image to point to another image resource. I'm not 100% sure that the monster images are read from private settings, but I think so. Still, you might need to save and reopen the modified token. There are examples that do these sorts of tricks in the plug-in authoring kit.

Adding a dimensional symbol to the front of an investigator card might be easy, depending on where you want to put it. For example, you could easily insert it at the bottom of the special abilities table by adding an image tag. Otherwise, you probably want an onPaint handler again.

Cheers,
Chris

xmaspreview.th.png

Happy holidays!

Cheers,
Chris

Oh wow! Looks like some really user friendly features being added. I'm excited!

Looks great, Chris. Any ETA?

Well, when MH and DP (revised) came out, I was in the middle of a cross-country move, so I've only just gotten them yesterday. I'm adding support for these expansions and then having a look at how stable it is. (Besides the changes for AH support, SE itself is undergoing massive transformations under the hood.) I'll package the result as another "developer preview release" (i.e. not even alpha yet)---that will happen very soon---and if it seems reasonably stable I'll consider posting the download location for a wider audience.

Cheers,
Chris

Looks damned impressive. Will it be backwards compatible? I'm running 2.0.8 (last lised stable version) and have difficulty opening some .eon files. My guess is that they were written in 2.1 (downloadable, but not listed as stable), but I can't tell for sure.

I also have sometimes have problems where portions of the screen turn green and it's impossible to see the screen. This also tends to affect my browser sessions afterwards. I thought it might be my graphics drivers, but Control Panel lists my display adapters and monitor as up-to-date, so I'm at a balnk on that one.

Jake yet again said:

Looks damned impressive. Will it be backwards compatible? I'm running 2.0.8 (last lised stable version) and have difficulty opening some .eon files. My guess is that they were written in 2.1 (downloadable, but not listed as stable), but I can't tell for sure.

I also have sometimes have problems where portions of the screen turn green and it's impossible to see the screen. This also tends to affect my browser sessions afterwards. I thought it might be my graphics drivers, but Control Panel lists my display adapters and monitor as up-to-date, so I'm at a balnk on that one.

They should be. Generally speaking, all components have been backwards compatible going back to what I think was the second publicly released version. I don't remember the version number offhand, but it started with a zero and is now five years old.

And yes, if you can't open something the most likely cause is that it is from a newer version, if such a version exists. (If there is no newer version, it is probably a bug, so get in touch with me). Other possibilities are that it is for a game other than AH and you don't have the matching plug-in installed, or that the file is corrupt.

As for the problem you described, it sounds like it is most likely a hardware or driver issue. Find the manufacturer and model of your video card in the paperwork for your computer, by inspecting the case, or by checking what Windows tells you. Go to that manufacturer's Web site and look for somewhere that you can download drivers (often a tab called something like "Support and Downloads") . Locate your model and download and install the newest drivers yourself. The major video card manufacturers (ATI/Nvidia) release new drivers often , and even onboard graphics manufacturers like Intel often release at least one update. You won't generally find these updates through the control panel/Windows Update. (In fact, as a general rule I don't install updates for third-party products through Windows Update, because in my experience the new driver rarely works correctly.)

Also check that the cable from the video card to the display is plugged in snugly at both ends, and that the graphics card (if any) is firmly seated in the slot.

Cheers,
Chris

Grudunza said:

Looks great, Chris. Any ETA?

This bug database entry tracks what items I'd like to cover before releasing the third developer preview to plug-in developers. Although bullets may be added/moved/removed, it will give you some sense of how things are going.

Cheers,
Chris

I've been fielding a lot of questions about support for the most recent expansions via the Feedback form on my site, so I thought I'd post this here and perhaps save a few people the trouble of contacting me. (Some of this may repeat info from a few posts back, but it will be easier for readers to have it in one place.)

The following new features are confirmed and have already been added:

• multiple expansion icons/orange "requires" expansion icons (MH)
  • Exhibit Encounter cards (DP rev.)
  • Alternate gate locations on mythos cards (MH)
  • Institutions (a simple variant of heralds) (MH)
  • Epic battle condition/event cards (MH)
  • Reckoning cards (LT) (also support for split gate tokens and second gates, but I'm pretty sure that's included in 2.1a13 as well)
  • choosing between either the original or revised Dark Pharaoh expansions (default is revised)

As stated above, these features are confirmed (they are available in the third developer preview release, which was made available to plug-in developers a little while ago). If there is something I've missed in the above list, let me know and I'll provide an update if possible.

Cheers,
Chris

Apologies for the Necromancy but I've tried to get hold of the Strange Eons software and I'm getting 404 for that site. Iv'e dug around the interweb and every 'download it here!' link points back to the site that's no longer there...

Has it gone forever or are my search skills poor?

The 404 has vanished and the site is now back. Emergency over!

The correct address is still cgjennings.ca/eons/ . The site was down for a few hours while the hosting service was performing a hardware upgrade. I didn''t get much notice myself, or I might have posted a warning.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi,

I'm trying to make an eon file for Calvin Wright the investigator, from Summer League 2nd. I can't reproduce its skills because they are going over 16. He's supposed to be :

Speed : 2-3-4-5

Sneak : 3-2-1-0

Fight : 4-5-6-7

Will : 3-2-1-0

Lore : 0-1-2-3

Luck : 5-4-3-2

I can set the first five, but i can go only to 4-3-2-1 for the Luck values. How can I fix that ?

Thanks.

On the Possessions tab, buy extra skill points (under Special Fixed Possessions). Then you can add another point to Luck. If the Focus score is too low, then you need to buy an another skill point. If it is still to low, you can use a balance adjustment on the Special Ability tab.

Cheers,
Chris

ALPHA MINUS ZERO

Happy Halloween!

After two years, the first public alpha of Strange Eons 3 is now available for download for Windows, Solaris, and Linux.

If you are currently running Strange Eons 1 or 2, you may wish to read the upgrade information . If you use a lot of plug-ins, you will probably want to keep your existing 2.x installation in addition to Strange Eons 3 until updated plug-ins are released.

Note that in Strange Eons 3, support for Arkham Horror is added through plug-in. The first time you run the new version, you will see a message that starts: "It looks like you just installed or updated Strange Eons" and offering to install core components and plug-ins. Choose Yes . A plug-in catalogue will appear with a number of "core components" selected. In addition to these, be sure to check the Arkham Horror plug-in and then choose Download and Install . After the download, you'll need to restart to Strange Eons.

Cheers,
Chris

I should mention that for the Windows version, you need to know if the version of Java you've installed was 32-bit or 64-bit (if you have a 64-bit operating system installed). If you are not sure, you can just reinstall a Java version of your choice. Or, if you make the wrong choice and SE3 won't start, uninstall SE3 and then reinstall but pick the other option.

Cheers,
Chris

Thelric said:

If you are currently running Strange Eons 1 or 2, you may wish to read the upgrade information . If you use a lot of plug-ins, you will probably want to keep your existing 2.x installation in addition to Strange Eons 3 until updated plug-ins are released.

How do you update your home-made plug-ins to version 3? Do you just have to recreate them in SE 3?

Generally speaking, not that many changes are required. if compatibility mode is enabled, many existing plug-ins, especially DIY plug-ins will either work or almost work as-is. You can turn on script warnings to be shown a message when the compatibility mode has translated some of your code, and it will tell you the preferred method for SE3.

Other than that, if you have specific questions you can let me know.

Cheers,
Chris