Model recommendations for the Drachens/Blimps

By ritterton, in Wings of War

Could someone make a few suggestions that a beginner to intermediate modeler could find and build for the Drachens/Blimps???

http://www.amjh.org/photo-1228366-ballon2_jpg.html

Here are custom balloons...but I am not that good at modeling...so, I really need some suggestions towards an on-line solution.

Thanks in advance.

You may want to hold off from making your own blimps, as i've just read something over on Board Game Geek called "Ballon Busters" that may be off interest to you.....and save you a lot of effort too!!

"A special kit for Wings of War miniatures, featuring a 1/144 scale Caquot - Ae800 balloon miniature (good for every nation at war) and an Allied Nieuport 16 with Le Prieur air-to-air rockets. Two versions of the kit are available, with different color schemes for both the balloon and for the airplane."

It is susposed to be released this year, but as of yet, there is nothing set in stone and the price is currently unknown. The only artwork that is available is pictured below, so it may still be a long way off as we dont even know what the picture on the front of the box is going to be yet.

pic404731_md.jpg

pic404679_md.jpg

Hope this helps!

Aaron - thanks for this. I can wait...sure and buy a few more planes before the kits come out. Works for me. I missed this on Boardgamegeek. Should have looked there too! Thank you!

R

I think skytrex do a observation balloon in 1/144 scale. But there doesn't seem to be a picture of it on their site. So as to its quality, I don't know.

Banichi said:

I think skytrex do a observation balloon in 1/144 scale. But there doesn't seem to be a picture of it on their site. So as to its quality, I don't know.

Skytrex used to make an observation balloon... I had contacted their customer service people a month ago or so, and they said there were no plans to bring it back. It was a really sweet looking model, too. sad.gif

Here's an idea for the balloon expansion: Design the balloon so it can be opened and used as a carrying case for the rest of the expansion's materials. :)

While we're waiting for the model release, for about $5, go to Hobby Lobby. In the styrofoam area, you can get a 5 1/2" egg and a pack with two 3" hearts. Cut the hearts in half, three pieces will be used for the fins. Wrap in tin foil, assemble, prime & paint. Not perfect, but good enough.

grathian said:

While we're waiting for the model release, for about $5, go to Hobby Lobby. In the styrofoam area, you can get a 5 1/2" egg and a pack with two 3" hearts. Cut the hearts in half, three pieces will be used for the fins. Wrap in tin foil, assemble, prime & paint. Not perfect, but good enough.

what a great freaking idea....off I go tomorrow to Michael's (home stuff and crafts and junk) that has those same eggs.

Be sure to post a picture MK2, ok? Michaels is an hour or so away, but I happen to be in that town tomorrow...hmhm....

R

Ok I did it, found the stuff at Michael's! Thank you for the great suggestion. Here is the finshed product. It only took me 30 mi nutes ot mkae once I got the supplies.

balloon_supplies.jpg

Balloonprep.jpg

Drachen_under_attack.jpg

American_Balloon_company.jpg

Great work!

Blimps on a budget & with minimal effort happy.gif

That is Foam-tastic. Egg-a-rific!

And surprisingly effective on a budget. Kudos to you, sir! It would be an honour to shoot down your foam eggs!

Thanks for posting the results. Looks great! May have to find a Michaels and try this out myself!

If you want to go cheaper than foam. I used paper mache eggs from Hobby Lobby. Cost like $.67 each. Cut wood hearts in half for fins and there you go. Cheap and my daughter had fun helping me paint.

Skytrex now have Caquot Balloons for sale I got two at Sheffield Triples
yesterday £20 (uk pounds) each so not cheap but includes winch lorry and basket

its not on the Skytrex site yet but for a photo see here

http://airalex.homestead.com/WWI.html

Ian

Interesting question and clever responses. This is a great game and I only wish it was around when I was studying history at school. Imagine the whole university history students' society playing on a ballroom floor. That used to be the preferred way to to play Avalon Hill's old "Jutland" board game, with individual ships being manipulated in British and German fleets.

I also was thinking of plastic foam eggs. For the cheap price, you might also consider buying a larger ball and sculpting it down to the shape you wanted. Foam can be easliy modified using a hot-wire for cutting foam, or a rasp like a Stanley sure-form (sp.). You could paint white glue on it to smooth the texture and you could paint it (enamels, not hot solvents like lacquers).

My first check on the forums since joining. Thanks for the discussion! happy.gif