How do new wonders get into the game?

By Konradius, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Bleached Lizard said:

justin hendry said:

Bleached Lizard said:

justin hendry said:

we play, when you buy one a new one gets introduced. i was reading some of the ideas here and i would like to try the idea of starting the game with ancient wonders, then when someone gets to the 2nd culture all the ancients are no longer able to be bought and are replaced with the medieval wonders, then the same with modern when someone gets to the 3rd culture. i find the idea worth while to try although when thinking about it it doesn't make since to do it that way

Why not? Does it make more sense that while you've developed technology to fly around in aeroplanes, you're still considering stacking a few rocks together and calling it a "wonder"?

i was thinking it wouldn't make since due to that

Ah, so you mean it should be related to technologies rather than culture?

(And by the way, it's "sense", not "since").

yeah the wonders should have been locked, but unlockable by technology.

Most of the wonders do get significantely cheaper with the correct technology.

As the rules stand, the dominant constraint on the availability of wonders is what other players are doing.

In a 3 player game with {Germany, China & Russia} It's entirely possible that no wonders will be built in the entire game. So however much Germany would like to build (e.g. The UN) it will not become available.

Conversly in a 4 player game with {Rome, Eqypt, USA & Germany} It's unlikely that Germany will have an oppertunity to build the UN, because one of the other 3 players will do so first.

All of the times I have played CIV:tBG wonders have never been a problem. We tend to build them as soon as we can afford one(around about turn 3) thus giving us bonuses in culture etc. Then when this ancient wonder is replaced by a modern wonder the new wondeer is unaffordable by other players, so it works for us :)