Modification to Game of Thrones board game

By I Hate the Greyjoys, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

I have an idea for a modification to the board game and I am interested to what everyone thinks:

Between rounds when you flip the three phase cards add a fourth phase: Alliances by marriage. I did the math and there are ten different options. Basically, each card will have the name of two of the nations on it that have created an alliance thru marriage. For game mechanics this would mean that these two nations cannot attack each other, if any of their units have support orders they must support the other if applicable. Finally, you can utilize each others shipping units.

This scenario would only apply for the one round because we all know that the alliances never last.....Red Wedding anyone?

I liked this idea because it seems that marrying off your children/siblings for the purpose of alliances is such a huge part of the books and I thought that it needed a place in the game.

Let me know what you guys think about this.

To be honest: I don't like that it's random and so shortly lived. Imagine a scenario in which you prepared a great attack on one of the other houses and next round, when you could finally put your grand scheme into action, a random alliance keeps you from attacking. What would be the consequences?

First: You're mildly annoyed.

Second: You realize that your new brothers-in-law now have one round to reposition their troops to fend of your attack.

Third: You' are now seriously pissed.

What you'd get is no alliance but a truce during which both houses get in even better positions to attack each other because they can know use their brother-in-laws' ships. I realize that the weather track in Storm of Swords does something similar but it is not as random due to the two steps it takes to change weather and doesn't necessarily keep you from attacking altogether.

Way too random. Why can' t you just agree to a plain alliance? If you want narrative you can imagine that the alliance came through a marriage of convenience.

I agree it enforces players to much to burry their sometimes long developed strategic plans. But on the other hand I like the second part - obligatory support "married" factions ;-P

I agree that it is too random, but there is a lot of randomness in the game already (such as how often Musters come up, etc), so if you like the randomness that already exists in the game, it may be worth trying. I at least think its an interesting idea.