Is "Spear Trap" a misprint?

By Shelfwear, in DungeonQuest

The crypt deck card "Spear Trap" says: "Roll 1 die and subtract your Armor from the result to determine how many wounds the trap inflicts". Given the fact that the Armor values of the characters in the game are 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 9 this trap does no damage most of the time. Shouldnt it say "roll 2 dice" instead to fit the overall difficulty of this game? The Spear Trap card in the Door deck for example says "roll 1 die to determine how many wounds you receive".

I don't know if its a misprint, but I don't hear Krutzbeck complaining about it. happy.gif

I do agree... there are inconsistencies in the game, and character attributes in general aren't always used where they would apply. I would go with the 2D6... and have that door trap be identical... but don't expect an official change on this.

Are you talking about a spear trap from the FFG edition? I've yet to see that card. Which deck is it in? The Spear traps that I recall involve making Luck Check and taking damage to the difference to which you fail it.

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. But to be honest, I usually die most of the time so I really do not mind a trap that kinda is "merciful" most of the time sonrojado.gif

SC

Yes, FFG edition. There are different Spear Traps:

Door deck: roll 1 die = wounds

Door deck: roll 1 die and subtract luck = wounds

Door deck: roll 1 die and subtract armor = wounds

Crypt deck: test luck, failed difference = wounds

Crypt deck: roll 1 die and subtract armor = wounds

The d6 auto wound and skill check variants make sense damage/riskwise, the rest are not really of any danger. These spear traps are really inconsistent and it would make more sense if it would be 2 dice minus luck/armor

StormCaller said:

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. But to be honest, I usually die most of the time so I really do not mind a trap that kinda is "merciful" most of the time sonrojado.gif

SC

Sure, there are more than enough ways to die but then they better could have printed " You're lucky! This trap is rusted and doesn't do any harm anymore" :)

Shelfwear said:

Yes, FFG edition. There are different Spear Traps:

Door deck: roll 1 die = wounds

Door deck: roll 1 die and subtract luck = wounds

Door deck: roll 1 die and subtract armor = wounds

Crypt deck: test luck, failed difference = wounds

Crypt deck: roll 1 die and subtract armor = wounds

The d6 auto wound and skill check variants make sense damage/riskwise, the rest are not really of any danger. These spear traps are really inconsistent and it would make more sense if it would be 2 dice minus luck/armor

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I'll have to check this out, because the only one that I've ever came across was one with the Luck Check. Neat. I didn't know that there were that kind of varity in the cards. Maybe that means the spear trap is tougher depending on where you encounter it.

A teacher once said that I could fall into a snake pit and not notice the snakes. :)

Thanks.