Friendly Hordes

By Face Eater, in Deathwatch House Rules

Say you where playing a mixed RT/DH:Assension/DW game. If someone is playing, say a storm trooper, they could be a big more useful if they where in charge of the group of NPC's, like a squad of Veteran IG or Stormtroopers.

What would the magnitude of a standard 10 man squad be? What other traits would they need?

Face Eater said:

Say you where playing a mixed RT/DH:Assension/DW game. If someone is playing, say a storm trooper, they could be a big more useful if they where in charge of the group of NPC's, like a squad of Veteran IG or Stormtroopers.

What would the magnitude of a standard 10 man squad be? What other traits would they need?

Compare with Oblivion's Edge.

Alex

Face Eater said:

RT has an attempt at mass combat rules that added +1 damage per 4 NPCs in the squad. Since 1d10 has an average of 5.5, I'd say that 1 magnitude is going to be about 2 humans.

As for extra traits, disciplined, fighting withdrawal and fire drill seem the only horde-specific traits you could add. Since a fearless horde doesn't break, I'd expect that anything that works against fear would also do the same against the horde breaking. For example "Iron Discipline" would make your friendly horde reroll any failed test to avoid breaking.

Thank's guys the one in oblivions edge is mag 15, it seems higher than the average for a mob but then ST are bad asses (relatively speaking).

It's not enough to give them extra damage though, although with proper hellguns they should still be able to hurt most things. I like that they had random effects for having a bunch of special weapons.

Also with small magnitudes they aren't going to stick around long so would you say medicae should work as if magnitude was wounds (but take longer)?

Face Eater said:

Thank's guys the one in oblivions edge is mag 15, it seems higher than the average for a mob but then ST are bad asses (relatively speaking).

It's not enough to give them extra damage though, although with proper hellguns they should still be able to hurt most things. I like that they had random effects for having a bunch of special weapons.

Also with small magnitudes they aren't going to stick around long so would you say medicae should work as if magnitude was wounds (but take longer)?

No, only if they can get a break or combat is really protracted.

But remember to use superior tactics for these guys. Make sure they are always behind cover and do tactical advances. I'd be tempted to give them various special "hordes traits" each, like Captain Grayson's giving them the ability to regroup and thus recover magnitude loss. Different platoons, different training. Just imagine a platoon with special special weapons training giving them an additional ranged attack with in OE the mentioned special rules, etc. That way the enemy will never know what they are coming up against.

Of course maybe some platoons may have a special paramedic among them... so your suggestion might apply to them.

Alex