A little TI3 in your Starcraft...

By Axensmash, in StarCraft

I am not sure if I like this game or not. But I don't think I have played it enough that I can form a solid opinion on it or not. I do know that I have never won a game of it yet which might be coloring my opinion a tad.

One thing I do know is that I don’t like how the point scoring works. With the command points accruing throughout the game. I much prefer the way points are awarded in Twilight Imperium – based on objectives.

With that in mind I propose the following variant:

Whichever player reaches 15 conquest points first wins the game.

Receive conquest points equal to the number of Conquest Point Territories that your faction controls. You retain these points only as long as you control these areas. If you lose control of the area you lose the points. If you build a base on the territory you double the conquest value of the territory.

If, at any time, you achieve your special victory condition you receive 4 Conquest points. Once received, these points may never be lost. You may only qualify for your special victory objective once per game.

You receive conquest points for completing the following objectives. Each may be only qualified for once per game.

This round I eliminated a faction from the game – 4 conquest points.
This round I destroyed another faction’s only remaining base – 2 conquest points.
I control the most areas on the board – minimum 7 – 2 Conquest Points
I control more areas containing minerals and/or gas than any other player on the board. - 2 Conquest points.

I have 3 bases on the board – 2 Conquest Points
I now spend 10 Gas – 2 Conquest Points
I now spend 10 Minerals – 2 Conquest Points
I control every area in at least 2 different planets – 3 Conquest Points

These are just off of the top of my head. To take the variant further one could make many more objectives and randomize them taking it even further in the direction of TI3.

Feedback is welcome.

Well, such game mode would definitely require higher CP goal to reach - at least 20. Players would be gaining CPs very fast.

Another thing to reconsider is the number of CP you suggest to gain - IMO it should be rather 1 CP lower for each option, 2 for eliminating player. Keep in mind that many players may participate in elimination.

"I control every area in at least 2 different planets" – 1 Conquest Point like the other options would be better, I see no point in rewarding more this one.

Another important thing is that you double effects of some (not all) Special Victory conditions - like destroying bases, having 3 bases etc. If you're going to do so, use all (although Aldaris may cause problems due to strange SV - it should be changed, for e.g. "Gain 1CP for every round that you survived and every Stage III Event Card drawn by any player). If anybody can gain CPs for SV conditions, players who control faction with that SV condition should get double, or even triple rewards in CP. If only they can use own SV to get CP, the number of points you suggest for them looks to be OK (2CP).

Also I don't like not to use original CP values for areas. They are OK, since it's often the only really useful feature of such planet.

cyb3k said:

Well, such game mode would definitely require higher CP goal to reach - at least 20. Players would be gaining CPs very fast.

As i understood, player do not gain conquest points, but check each round wheter he reached 15 or not

Ah, I should have read more carefully ^^ So CPs are gained only once per game in this game mode. That changes a lot happy.gif

It should be a good way to solve problems with too much rewarding CP areas. However, I think you should keep the uniqueness of Special Victory conditions, at least in the way I mentioned in my previous post.

Moreover players should have some options to increase the "limit" of possible CP to gain. This mode should include some additional rewards for control of CP areas with possibility to gain them more than once, e.g.

- you lost control of no CP areas in this round (at least 1CP area required, only Regrouping Phase results are counted): 1 CP

- you have the highest total value of your CP areas (draws cause nobody can gain CPs from it during this round): 1CP

- you control the most of strategic areas on the board: 1CP

Like before, I think that values of CP areas should not be ignored. And problems with multiple players eliminating opponent(s) remains.

I should have been more clear.

What I meant to say is that once you have control of a CP area you IMMEDIATELY increase you point total. Vice versa if you lose control of the area you IMMEDIATELY lose the points.

Make sense?

Axensmash said:

I should have been more clear.

What I meant to say is that once you have control of a CP area you IMMEDIATELY increase you point total. Vice versa if you lose control of the area you IMMEDIATELY lose the points.

Make sense?

But you are limited practically by a total number of CPs on the board then. My suggestions from previous points are to make this limit easier to increase.

I am not so sure if I like that idea... I play StarCraft a lot and so far found the victory conditions better than the ones in TI, or maybe just more fitting for the game...

Greetings from hell

Lucifer