Customizable "Blank Hero Sheet"???

By Nechromius, in Descent Home Brews

So, I downloaded the "official" Build Your Own Hero .pdf from FFG. On the last page of the .pdf, there's a "Blank Hero Sheet" that looks exactly like the hero cards in the actual game. The problem is, I can't "write" on it with my computer...

I want to try my hand at making some heroes, but I'm wondering if anyone has a link to a customizable blank hero sheet??? I'd like to create hero sheets with my computer so that the writing and fonts looks neat.

I do not have EXCEL however, so maybe a write-able .pdf would be best? Please point the way to such a tool if you know of one.

Thanks! happy.gif

If you dig around you should be able to find Iam's Fantasy Card Generator, which allows you to make cards for Descent

Iam's editor is a popular option, though it has some unfortunate restrictions and I'm not sure where you can download it anymore.

You can also copy and paste that blank hero sheet in the PDF into any of several programs that permit the editing or embedding of images. The fact that you can't write in the PDF doesn't prevent you from copying stuff out. That is, in fact, precisely how I got the image in my Excel-based editor.

You can also get a free trial of Microsoft Office if you want to try out something that requires Excel.

Around internet you find the Hero sheets of most official heroes around in Descent (just go to google images and digit the name of "Astarra" or "Sir Valadir". I prefer making heroes editing these pictures with Paint. The result satisfies me most of the time, although Photoshop may come in handy when you have to resize images without loosing too much in quality. It requires some time to learn, but once you have done few, making a new hero may require around 15 minutes or less, if you have the idea of what you want to do.

On the subject of Excel, there's also a completely free program known as Open Office (specifically Open Office "Calc" as a counterpart for Excel.) It knows how to open Excel files and doesn't usually have any trouble running heavily scripted xls sheets in my experience.

I haven't tried to use Open Office many times, but I have never had it succeed in opening the file I tried. If you try to open my hero editor in OO with VBA macros enabled, it greets you with an interminable series of cryptic, modal error dialogs that requires you to force-quit in order to escape.

I'm guessing the reason you get a bunch of errors is related to the macros I have embedded inside cell formulas, but beyond that I have no idea what's going on beyond "I guess Calc isn't so compatible with Excel after all." If someone wants to try to fix the problem, be my guest.