Using Eldar in Deathwatch.

By DrgnScorpion, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

So, Eldar in deathwatch is very entertaining. Rangers have a chance of surviving almost anything as long as they are not noticed, Dire Avengers in a Magnitude 10 Horde with Exarch can bring a Space Marine to half health in one shot. (making it 3d10+4 pen 4, to work with the multiple successes generated by bladestorm and the vast quantity of damage being put out). Need to make stats for Fire Dragons on talents and skills, along with the firepike while their Flamer is in Into the Storm. Warp Spiders need to also get made besides weapon as that is also in Into the Storm. Other than that, its a very interesting way to use Eldar and my group loved the fact that as they are combat fanatics and actually in other games never got to round 2 in a combat. I got them to round 3 before they pretty much nuked everything.

Any advice on making the Fire Dragon, Warp Spiders, Swooping Hawks, Howling Banshees, Striking Scorpions, and the bike ones whose name eludes me.

Oh yea for all you GM's out there. WHen using Orks, definetly make sure you have some Spolding Squigs. Your group will blink and be confused as they are peppered with shrapnel and acid.

im currently making profiles for the Eldar aspects and guardians, i will put them all in pdf pack when done, i will post the download link here

Awesome, I have one of the players working on the aspects he knows very well along with a GW manager who GM's getting me his stuff as well.

Ooooo! Any news on these write-ups yet!?

Maybe they'll appear in the DW adversary book but I'd rather not wait that long! gran_risa.gif

I thought there were some eldar profiles in one of the Rogue Trader books?

There's Aspect warriors, Rangers and a Raider Captain in DH Creatures Anathema and DH Ascension has a Dire Avenger Exarch, I played in the RT Lure of the Expanse and had to fight some Warlocks there but dont have a copy of it.

The old Shuriken-Cat and Pistol isn't much vs a Deathwatch Marine + Armour, unless it was in a Horde. They spew out lots of relatively craptacular 1D10+4 or 1D10+2 Pen 4 bits of sharp stuff, but even after Pen, a marine will have 4pts of armour and his TB to soak the rest.

RT Into the Storm and the RT MRB has a couple of their more exotic lasers, blasters and Harlequins kiss but not a lot else which would be theoretically quite serious business like missile launchers, Shuriken cannon, fusion guns, scatter lasers and the like, that would bother a marine

MKX said:

There's Aspect warriors, Rangers and a Raider Captain in DH Creatures Anathema and DH Ascension has a Dire Avenger Exarch, I played in the RT Lure of the Expanse and had to fight some Warlocks there but dont have a copy of it.

The old Shuriken-Cat and Pistol isn't much vs a Deathwatch Marine + Armour, unless it was in a Horde. They spew out lots of relatively craptacular 1D10+4 or 1D10+2 Pen 4 bits of sharp stuff, but even after Pen, a marine will have 4pts of armour and his TB to soak the rest.

Actually, the Shuriken Catapult is Pen 6, which makes a difference here, and the Dire Avenger in Creatures Anathema uses a more powerful one with Tearing, and has the Mighty Shot talent, so he's dealing out 1d10+6R, Pen 6, Tearing shots - that averages 1 damage against the torso per hit, 3 against anywhere else, against an average starting character. Given the high Ballistic Skill of a Dire Avenger (low 50s), and the benefits of Autofire, those individual wounds will add up in a death-by-a-thousand-cuts sort of way... it's not a quick kill, by any means, but they're not completely incapable of fighting back, and a well-handled Dire Avenger squad should be able to dance around an Astartes squad and elude the worst of the reprisals - they lack the brute force of the Astartes, but they're a lot faster.

Personally, should the Eldar turn up in my Deathwatch campaign, I'm giving Aspect Warriors squad mode-equivalent abiltities to represent their skill and coordination as a group, particularly under the direction of an Exarch. As a stop-gap measure in place of specially-designed ones, I'd give Dire Avengers a Shuriken Catapult equivalent of Bolter Assault (lots of movement + shooting attacks... sounds about right) and Regroup, as both give them the sort of mobility they really need.

There seems to be a varient of Shuriken weapon in every book, in those settings for killing poor as beans acolytes, NPC Imperial Guard in flack armour and even lower rank RT characters just fine. Mechanically they're still sub-par for taking on what is essentially heavy elite infantry- that should be capable of dealing out quite a lot of pain against (somewhat elite) light infantry like ye olde guardians. A challenging opponent would be something like the Aspect warriors- Banshees, Scorpions, Spiders, Warlocks and the like which have the harder hitting weapons and do the important jobs of killing big, annoying things.

Probably I'd represent the "Fleet of Foot" trait with letting them do full auto/burst fire without penalty while at Run speed and full melee attacks on the end of a charge without penalty. Some of the more melee-oriented Aspect Warriors you'd probably consider giving them Unassailable Grace and Storm of Blows to deal out more of a spanking when they do actually close the distance.

Tactically, there would be just as many exotic options for squad modes which I wouldnt duplicate off the marines too much and aim for something reflecting their sheer speed and accuracy. We probably shouldnt forget the other fun things like a Warlock who might just decide to get angry and blow up a few acres of land, make all the Eldar unnaturally lucky/very shooty, the enemy really unlucky or just mess with their heads so they blow off all their ammo on things that aren't there :)

N0-1_H3r3 said:

/snip Actually, the Shuriken Catapult is Pen 6 /snip

oooh nice, was that in an Errata? and does this apply to all shuriken weapons?

the Sprint Talent works well enough to represent Fleet of Foot IMO, Hormagaunts have fleet in TT if i remember correctly, and they have the Sprint talent in the Core book.

Sprint is just extra movement on the end of a full action run, Fleet is a full action run AND kick the living **** out of someone at the end of it.

actually, nevermind, Hormagaunts have Unnatural speed, not sprint.

broutefoin said:

N0-1_H3r3 said:

/snip Actually, the Shuriken Catapult is Pen 6 /snip

oooh nice, was that in an Errata? and does this apply to all shuriken weapons?

I can't check Creatures Anathema or Disciples of the Dark Gods at the moment, but that's the case in Rogue Trader. I remember that the summary listed in the Dire Avenger's stat-block is incorrect, though, so I suggest you go by the weapons sidebar instead.

Shuriken Pistols are Pen 4 everwhere I've seen them.

thanks for info :D and this just goes to remind me that I should pay attention when I read *sigh*

i have most of the Aspect Warriors penned down, however, im not so sure about the game balance yet.

below are the profiles, please feel free to criticize/add to it. i will explain my reasoning for each.

i would also like to point out that i did borrow from others on this forum, ive been working on this for a while, i dont remember who suggested what, i will at least note when something was borrowed from the forums, if you recognize the ideas here, speak up, and thanks!

to start, these are the traits/talents/skills I gave to all Craftworld Eldars:

Traits: Unnatural Agility

Talents: Catfall, Basic/Pistol Weapon Training (Las), Exotic Weapon Training (Shuriken Pistol), Heightened Sense (Sight, Hearing), Jaded, Leap Up, Rapid Reaction, Sprint

Skills: Acrobatics, Awareness +10, Dodge +10, Forbidden Lore (Xenos) Speak Language (Eldar)

the talents are to reflect that Eldar are agile and an old and dying race.

Aspect Specific:

Talents: Nerves of Steel, Quick Draw

Skills: Medicae

Eldar Power Armor Quality: (based off of professor_kylan's idea)

AP 8 All, Helmet with Photo-visor, Re-breather and Micro-bead, +10 Strength, no increase in size, only -10 to concealment/silent move , no power source needed

Howling Banshee:

WS: 58 BS: 47 S: 33 T: 35 Ag : 55 (10) Int: 38 Per: 42 WP: 42 Fel: 32 Movement: 6/12/18/36 Wounds 16

Skills: Intimidate

Talents: Assassin Strike, Berserk Charge, Hard Target, Swift Attack, Lightning Attack, Step Aside, Counter Attack, Combat Master, Melee Weapon Training (Primitive, Power)

Howling Banshee Aspect Armor (All 6, +1 speed*)

*already included in movement

Weapons: Eldar Powersword (RT: Into the Storm), Shuriken Pistol

Special: Banshee Mask, on a charge, the Banshee forces a Challenging (+0) Toughness Test from its target, if failed, the victim is stunned for 1 round ( idea came from "Eldar Aspect Tech" RT thread)

Reasoning: fast and lethal, but cant take punishment, at their best on a charge

Striking Scorpion:

WS: 57 BS: 47 S: 40 (6) T: 37 Ag : 45 (8) Int: 38 Per: 42 WP: 42 Fel: 32 Movement: 4/8/12/24 Wounds 17

Skill: Climb, Concealment +20,Navigation (surface), Shadowing, Silent Move +20, Survival, Tracking

Talents: Combat Master, Crushing Blow, Crippling Strike, Counter Attack, Furious Assault, Sure Strike, Step Aside, Melee Weapon Training (Primitive, Chain)

Striking Scorpion Aspect Armor (all 8, Eldar Power Armor, +20 Strength instead of +10*, no Penalty to Silent Move/ Concealment)

Weapons: Eldar Chainsword (Melee, 1d10+12* R; Pen 4; Balanced, Tearing), Shuriken Pistol

*Strength and Crushing Blow bonuses added

Special: Mandiblaster (3m, S/-/-; 1d10+6 E; Pen 3; Clip -; Rld -; Razorsharp, Special) can be fired as a free action once per combat, always counts as close range (+30) when fired, even when engaged in Melee

Reasoning: less agile than Banshee, has less attacks, but most brutal damage, stealthy and a little more durable in melee,

Dark Reaper:

WS: 48 BS: 56 S: 30 (4) T: 33 Ag : 49 (8) Int: 38 Per: 48 WP: 42 Fel: 32 Movement: 4/8/12/24 Wounds 15

Skills: ??? (suggestions would be appreciated)

Talents: Basic Weapon Training Heavy Weapon Training (Dark Reaper Launcher), Mighty Shot, Hip Shooting, Crack shot

Dark Reaper Aspect Armor (All 8, Eldar Power Armour, grants Auto-stabilized Trait and integrated motion predictor )

Weapons: Reaper Launcher *(Heavy, 200m; S/3/-; 2d10+8** E; Pen 8; Clip 30; Rld 2 Full; Reliable) Shuriken Pistol, Mono knife

*this is also from "Eldar Aspect Tech" RT thread

**Mighty shot bonus added

Resonings: the fluff i read described the Reaper Launcher as shooting small Plasma missiles, the damage may need a little tweaking

Warp Spider:

WS: 48 BS: 56 S: 34 (4) T: 33 Ag : 49 (8) Int: 39 Per: 41 WP: 43 Fel: 31 Movement: 4/8/12/24 Wounds 15

Skill: Concealment, Pilot (personal), Silent Move, (need suggestions)

Talents: Exotic Weapon Training (Deathspinner) (need suggestions)

Warp Spider Aspect Armor (All 8, Eldar Power Armour, Warp Jump Pack)

Weapons: Deathspinner (RT: Into the Storm) Shuriken Pistol, Mono knife

Special: Warp Jump Pack: can teleport anywhere up to 50m as a half action, will always emerge on solid footing and in suitable empty space, roll 5d10 (only used to determine effects of teleport, does not affect distance), if 3 out of 5 dice come up the same, Warp Spider does not re-emerge for 1d5 rounds. if all 5 come up the same, the Warp Spider has been lost to the warp.

i was thinking of maybe adding a dodge function to the Jump Pack, along the lines of "once per round, the Warp Spider can teleport as a reaction, resulting in an automatic miss on the triggering attack, if being attacked from behind, the Warp Spider must succeed a Challenging (+0) Awarness test in order to preform the jump dodge."

this is all i have for now, i am still working on them, as well as the Swooping Hawks, Fire Dragons and the Clowns, i may attempt the Shinning Spears at some point.

let me know what you guys think. thanks.

wow, those look very good and I'm probably going to give those a run through against my group.

let me know how it turns out :) and if anything is broken, id love to hear what/how you fixed it.

enjoy!

another note. im thinking of adding TWW (universal) to Banshees and Scorpions so that they can shoot their pistols in melee as part of their full attack.

TWW would actually be useful for the Scorpions as that is an actual tactic they use. If you haven't read it yet, I would suggest Path of the Warrior by Gav Thorpe as its the only Eldar novel out there that is good and all about Striking Scorpions.

I will look it up, thanks man!

I'm almost done with Fire Dragons and Swooping hawks as well. Then, I will give a crack at the Exarchs.

path of the warrior is excellent , the other eldar novel is dreadful and gets the fluff badly wrong

any ideas about how to do a Wraithlord? i dont want to make it a vehicle but how much armour and toughness would it need to reprensent being immune to a lot of small arms and even basic bolters?

Hardrainfalling said:

any ideas about how to do a Wraithlord? i dont want to make it a vehicle but how much armour and toughness would it need to reprensent being immune to a lot of small arms and even basic bolters?

The Radical`s Handbook had Wraithguard* ( "Seedworld Custodian Construct" ). Using it as a template you could come up with a Wraithlord by buffing some of the stats and Traits.

*Basic summary ( without going into too much detail ). Unnatural S and T, Wounds 25, most stats in the 40+ range. Armour 7 all around. Impr. Natural Weapons, Natural Weapons ( Fists ), Dark Sight, Strange Physiology.

The Rogue Trader adventure book Lure of the Expanse actually had Wraithguard and how much fun their guns are.

forgot about wraithcannons ! they could be very very nasty indeed, thanks for the advice although I havent got anything other than the deathwatch books as of yet