Home Brewed Characters from Mists of Zenaga

By ElricOfMelnibone, in Descent Home Brews

As stated in the topic. All things here are pure Homebrew...and of course all characters are copiright and property of Fantasy Flight Games.

Just as an exercise, I decided to make Descent sheets for the interesting characters in Mists of Zenaga expansion for Runebound. I must admit that not knowing Runebound interpreting the rules for the characters was not always an easy task, but somehow I made the sheets and I hope someone likes them.

kalathehunter.jpg

The character has Laurel's Build and an ability which is very strong, since it can guarantee extra attacks, simply using Runemaster Thorn's wording. Using Antistone's editor, she's 317 BPs prior to adding the ability. I believe that with that ability she should be a balanced character.

sakaandkuto.jpg

The build is similar to Okaluk & Rakash, but Saka seems "bigger" than Okaluk and Kuto "smaller" than Rakash, so I supposed they'd be slower, but added in a bit or Armor (they're more "fighters"). The ability means they can deal good damage, but I don't believe players are willing to sacrifice their movement that much, hence they shouldn't be wearing the heaviest armors. Their cost without the ability is 336, by the way, leaving them with 24 BP to reach the "average" status.

spiritspeakerelga.jpg

I gave her a typical Dwarven Build, but 1 less point in Fatigue to represent her being a mage and not a fighter. She's a specialized mage, but some "endurance skill" should be needed, I suppose, for a caster dealing with Spirits. Her ability is very interesting, since few things let you recover lost wounds in Descent and was equivalent somehow to her ability in Runebound (as far as I understand). Her BP value without ability is 293, hence her ability should be around 70 points to be "ok".

malikitheclaw.jpg

Maliki was somewhat challenging. He has pretty good statline and is a fine damage dealer, but his ability is pretty meh, especially considering his limited armor (but his ability is after all similar to that on the Runebound card, I guess...). His statline without ability costs 343 points, so he should be Ok...

annenthetrailblazer.jpg

Annen was entirely made by using Antistone's editor. He's got great skills for movement, making him basically a great potential runner (despite his average Speed and Fatigue). His BP cost is 367, which should be pretty much ok...(this is Descent, it's not like characters are usually completely balanced, by the way...).

runemakertara.jpg

Full caster design and a slightly improved (most of the times, at least) version of Sir Valadir's ability. Her BP cost (without ability) would be 326 if her CT were 2 and 276 with her actual CT of 3. Suggestions are appreciated. I like her ability, because it works much better with Runes than staves (better surge expenditure).

As always I thank Antistone's for the great usefulness of his editor as a balancing tool.

I'd really love comments from anyone on these characters so we can improve them together!

Ok, before anyone posts, I've already looked again at my creations and discerned some of them required quite some fixing. At the moment I'm satisfied with Annen and Elga as they are now, although any comments are always welcome (I suspect Elga's ability for 70 points or so could be underpriced, so she should probably be nerfed somewhere and suggestions are appreciated, as well as opinions on the subject).

2kalathehunter.jpg

Ok, ok...Kala the Hunter's previous ability simply made no sense...it was only meaningful if you had certain abilities or fatigue/speed boosts of some kind. This ability limits greatly the use (it only triggers on traditional Advance actions), but can always be used to some effect. Opinions anyone?

2malikitheclaw.jpg

Maliki's previous design really made no great sense. His ability was very hard to trigger due to his low armor, and even then it was pretty useless (i doubt anyone would spend 1 fatigue to deal 1 wound, unless somehow to kill a monster with 1 wound remaining and I don't believe the Overlord would risk to attack a character able to do so with such monster...). Now he's got less armor, meaning he's quite fragile for his 4 CT, but has great movement and his skill (although it still requires spending fatigue) can now inflict some serious damage once per turn, especially as Maliki gets better shields and/or the Ambidextrous skill (he may inflict up to 5 damages ignoring armor). Since shields can be exhausted only once, his ability won't trigger anyway more than once a turn, unless you equip him with two shields, which would greatly limit his attack power (or his movement, if you have to swap equipment each time)...I believe him to be pretty ok now, but again, comments are always useful.

2runemakertara.jpg

12HP and 0 Armor with a CT of 3 and no defensive ability were very lame I believe, so I moved her CT to 2, but then she looked too strong to me (ok, not as strong as many others, but we all know that Astarra shouldn't be the term of paragon for mages), so I moved away a point of speed...after all mages aren't great athletes anf that dress must get in the way when she moves, don't you think?

2sakaandkuto.jpg

Previous version of this guy could sum up damage reaching something like +6 damage to every attack without even needing to reduce his movement. Now it can get to up to +3 damage while wearing Gold Level Armor AND an Other Item giving bonus to Armor or +4 damage if wearing Dragonscale Armor (reducing his Speed to 3) AND BOTH Other Items giving bonus to Armor. Few abilities (Unmovable, Defender, Endure come to my mind) might somehow allow you to break these bonds, but we're talking about very limited situation now. I also fixed the wording of the ability so that it's clear how it works with Mage Cloak Items (which give differential Armor bonus against Melee and Ranged/Magic attacks) and Parry/Deflect Arrows/Willpower skills. Easiest way to fix the thing was negating any bonus from such things at all...and easiest way's always better way on my opinion. In order to weaken him a bit more I moved 1 fighting skill to subterfuge (it fits very well the character, by the way), making it harder for him to get the right skills to enhance his ability and moving him more toward the "runner" build. He should be less broken now.

I'll wait for any comment, suggestion or critic.

Generally your improvements have made acceptable heroes, although I still don't like several.

But Tara's ability is broken, horribly. Instead of cutting her stats down, fix the ability. One extra surge per added dice from fatigue would be a bit more balanced I think.

Thanks for the reply Corbon, as soon as you have time I'd like more precise comment on the other guys, just to know if you believe they should be fixed better or if you have any idea (even a completely new idea) on how to build them.

As for Tara...

3runemakertara.jpg

As you can see, she got used again to her dress (Speed4), but her ability was nerfed so now she generates only 1 surge for fatigue spent on adding power dice to the roll. In vanilla she's fairly weak (just compare her to Landrec who ALREADY has the 2 extra surges she must buy with 2 fatigue), but in campaign, where you may spend several fatigue on an attack she might be powerful (she just needs her ability to be FAQed so that in AC she gains additional surges when she spends fatigue to upgrade power dice as well, which is her intended use in campaign by the way).

It's not entirely obvious from the current wording whether Tara's ability is supposed to apply once per attack (if you spend at least one fatigue) or once per fatigue spent. If it's the latter, she is in the curious position of potentially being able to make a stronger attack while Dazed, since she will be capable of spending more fatigue before hitting the dice limit. (And power potions suck for her even more than usual.)

Free surges on a magic hero are arguably inherently broken because of Sunburst, though that's really a problem with Sunburst, not with surges per se, and official ways of getting free surges already exist.

Kala's ability is really complicated for no obvious reason. It's very close to being the same as Ytriana Zephyrtide's Ability, which is dramatically simpler. In fact, Kala is very similar to Ytriana Zephyrtide in general.

Elric of Melniboné said:

As you can see, she got used again to her dress (Speed4), but her ability was nerfed so now she generates only 1 surge for fatigue spent on adding power dice to the roll. In vanilla she's fairly weak (just compare her to Landrec who ALREADY has the 2 extra surges she must buy with 2 fatigue), but in campaign, where you may spend several fatigue on an attack she might be powerful (she just needs her ability to be FAQed so that in AC she gains additional surges when she spends fatigue to upgrade power dice as well, which is her intended use in campaign by the way).

Remember Landrec is fairly powerful, and not therefore an ideal benchmark.

I don't think she is weak at all, I just expect her to use fatigue to add dice frequently - if her initial attack is not good enough that is. Don't forget, when she 'buys' those extra two surges, she is still getting the extra two dice (ie the normal 'value' for her 'purchase').

If anything I think her ability should by clarified for ACs so that it remains per dice she adds, not per upgrade. It is simply too good otherwise. That will have implications for her training choices, for sure, but that makes for interesting choices faced by the player, not major penalties.

If you really still don't like it consider dropping a trait dice (which might be enough for another move/fatigue, especially if combined with spreading skills out a bit? - she is slightly under-stat-ed at the moment) That should give her a bit more 'potential'.

Kala's ability is badly worded because MP are a variable value through the turn. As worded, if she does this at the end of her turn when she has 0 MP left she gets the Ranged attack for free! The general concept doesn't particularly enthuse me anyway (but that is just personal)...

Maliki looks ok, though it might be possible to make the wording clearer. Maybe something like ...when he ... exhausts a shield to cancel wounds ... he reflects those wounds back onto the attacker . ?

I understand why you have Saka and Kuto with a 2F/5M stat, but I would be happier with a 3F4M stat. It will still be rare for him to get bonuses higher than +3 damage, and then only with very heavy armour that reduces their Mv (and by the time you have silver/gold armour, and therefore weapons available, a little extra +1 is pretty negligible). Don't forget, if this hero gets the RoP that is a good thing for the OL, as it is not then going on the really heavy armoured tank where it is statistically most valuable per attack, nor on the weakest and most often hit hero where it is statistically most valuable in number of attacks.
2F is a very, very big penalty to playability.

Antistone said:

It's not entirely obvious from the current wording whether Tara's ability is supposed to apply once per attack (if you spend at least one fatigue) or once per fatigue spent. If it's the latter, she is in the curious position of potentially being able to make a stronger attack while Dazed, since she will be capable of spending more fatigue before hitting the dice limit. (And power potions suck for her even more than usual.)

I would assume it is once per dice, since dice can be added one at a time. Perhaps it could be made clearer though.
I don't think the strange Daze effect is too big a deal, more of an interesting side affect.

Power Pots barely suck totally in vanilla for 3 dice heroes anyway, so that isn't much of an issue. In ACs it doesn't make much difference because she can upgrade existing dice first, or even add new dice with fatigue and then upgrade them.

Ok, let's make Kala simpler...how about:

"Once per turn. Kala The Hunter may spend 3 movement points to make a Ranged attack." I hope you find the wording of this ability reasonably simple and clear. This ability should be fairly powerful, but not overpowered. It obliges her to spend 3 movement points (which means she spends "more" than the 2 fatigue a character usually spends to get extra attacks) and is limited to 1 use per turn. If you still believe the ability is too strong like this, we can move her CT to 3 (just like Laurel's).

I don't see real problems with Maliki's wording. I can't see a situation where players could misunderstand its use...but if you find any issue with it just post it here.

Saka and Kuto's build of 2 Fatigue and 5 Speed is intended to be like that. Yeah, 2 Fatigue is pretty lame, but the same goes with Okaluk and Rakash. Having movement 4 would mean Saka and Kuto would get a Chain Mail as standard and hence a +2 Damage bonus without suffering penalties or occupying slots for Other Items and/or Skills. Considering the statline I believe this character would result much better than Mad Carthos, which is not my objective.

Now let's come down to Tara. First I can't see anything unclear about her ability. It's wording is practically the same used for Sir Valadir's ability. It's rather clear she gets 1 extra surge every time she buys a die. Also, since Valadir buys 2 dice (or die upgrades) for 1 fatigue, I can't see how buying 1 dice + 1 surge for the same price would be that much overpowered. It's surely more powerful but I don't think it's that much more powerful. Also, I believe Tara's ability MUST work with power die upgrades to become even competitive. I know Landrec is strong character, but making a character which is immediately worse version of Landrec is absolutely meaningless. I'll explain it better.

In vanilla, Tara will always be worse than Landrec, UNLESS they both spend 2 fatigue to boost an attack. In this case they will be equal (rolling 5 Black Dice + 2 surges on their attack). Being weaker than Landrec is ok, on my opinion, so be it, although for Vanilla purposes Tara is a directly nerfed Landrec.

Now in AC, Tara's attacks become better then Landrec's ONLY if she spends 3 or more fatigue on it (and if she's buying additional fatigue in AC she's not buying HP, which might not be good since her build is so frail, by the way). Now, I don't know what's your campaign experience, but on my group experience, we DON'T spend 3 or more Fatigue on an attack THAT often. Basically she might be good for dealing some massive damage to a boss, but most of the time she will still be worse than Landrec, which is ok, since we already said that being worse than such a character means being an OK character. And also Power Potions lose some interest for her even in AC (where they are very good) and this is part of her balancing of course.

Any more comments about Kala's new ability and/or Annen and Elga?

Here is the new version for Kala the Hunter.

2kalathehunter.jpg

Again, if she's too strong like this, I believe her CT may be moved to 3, making her design somewhat similar to Laurel's.

Kala went through a couple twists and turns, but it looks like she ended up about where I was going to suggest after reading her first iteration in the OP. I don't think bumping her CT to 3 would be a suitable fix anyway. She's a ranger by design, so unless she's being used as a runner (which she could be, in theory) she probably won't be anywhere near the front line in battle. That means she won't always be the easiest target for the OL to kill and adjusting her CT won't necessarily balance the rest of her out. FWIW, I don't think she's too powerful as is.

Elga is good, although personally I'd be tempted to change her healing to 3 (or even 4) points and change to trigger to "killing blow" instead of "inflicting wounds." That way she's basically a walking healing potion, but she has to be pulling her weight by scoring kills to make it work. As I type this, it occurs to me that giving her a blast weapon might make things ugly, so perhaps also limit it to once per attack.

I was going to ask the same thing Antistone did about Tara, namely whether her ability was intended to count for physical dice being added or if it would also count for upgrades in the AC. As worded I think most people (and certainly my group) would interpret it as counting for upgrades, too, since precedent with FFG's cards is that "add dice" means "spend a fatigue to improve the attack" which makes it a great deal more powerful. Dropping it to 1 surge instead of 2 is a good start. On the other hand, if it only applies to physical dice being added, then the ability will "dry up" as the campaign progresses and Tara gets more permanent dice. I suppose her ability isn't strictly limited to Magic attacks, although that is the most obvious type for her to focus on, and that means that even at the start of the game she could only use this ability twice if it were physical dice. I dunno. Being less experienced with homebrewing stuff myself I'm hesitant to make a recommendation here, but I can see arguements on either side of this question.

What about this: "When making an attack, Tara may spend 1 fatigue to fix a single power die on it's surge face instead of rolling it. If an effect requires this die to be re-rolled, it must be rolled normally."

This way the ability is tied to physical dice. She can't ever get more than 5 dice worth of surges because she can't have more than 5 power dice. The ability won't suffer from Tara training extra power dice, and using it on dice she just added to the attack functionally costs two (or more, in AC) fatigue. It also scales with campaign level since silver and gold power dice have correspondingly more surges per die.

The other heroes look good to me. I'm not too fond of Maliki's or Saka and Kuto's abilities, but I don't have any better ideas myself so I'll just sit on my hands regarding them.

Thanks for the interesting review Steve-O. I guess Kala shall stay like she is now...I will still have to fix Tara somehow, it looks.

How about:

"Whenever Tara spends fatigue to add or upgrade a power die, she may choose the side rolled by the power die." Her "flavor text" in the Runebound Card says she thinks that nothing is as costant as Magic, meaning she should be great at controlling it. Like this she has absolutely no bonus is Vanilla for the first 3 dice, but gains a useful bonus when buying dice. In AC she may actually choose the side rolled by each die, but only if she buys (which she may do AFTER rolling the attack) or upgrades them (meaning she must do it BEFORE rolling the attack). Her maximal damage output isn't improved, but the ability makes spending fatigue on attacks really trustworthy like this. Also, she shouldn't buy Gold dice in AC, since she wouldn't be able to use anymore her ability on them! And yeah, Power Potions still suck for her more than for anyone else.

How about it?

Elric of Melniboné said:

"Whenever Tara spends fatigue to add or upgrade a power die, she may choose the side rolled by the power die."

I don't know that I like the ability being free. That's mostly a gut reaction, though. Being able to fix a chosen side instead of rolling randomly is definitely an advantage, especially when you can look at the previous dice and know exactly what you need to accomplish your goals for the attack before spending fatigue to add another die. Maybe make it "spend 2 fatigue" to use the ability on any number of dice. Or better yet, "spend 2 wounds" following the example of the recently discussed Rapid Shot skill.

Aside from that, the added freedom of choosing ANY face is relatively indifferent to me. You're not going to choose Blanks since the ability can only be used on Tara's own attacks, and between choosing Surge or choosing Power Enhancement, I think Surge will be the more powerful choice for what is most likely a Magic attack. Doesn't hurt to have the extra choice, I suppose.

Following Steve-O's advice, I modified Tara again...her ability now requires expenditure of 1 wound, so that she can't actually spam it too much. 4runemakertara.jpg

I hope you like her!

i've just started playing this and as such most likely can't yet see many of the finer points, like what's broken, i think these are all great:/

i'm having a bit of hassle searching the forum so would like to know if there's a main thread or topic where people can post their various ideas about heroes?

Fist, just to let you know, these characters aren't official material at all, being absolutely home brewed by me. By the way, I'm happy you found them interesting creations.

There's no official tread about opinions on characters around. I'd say that if you want to discuss your opinions about "official" characters you should do that in the principal Descent Forum, while if you want to discuss "home brewed" creations, you can simply discuss them in the tread they're posted...usually it works lke this in this forum.

You do realize that Kala's ability is basically mandatory to use every single turn? If she only wants to make one attack, she should run (or ready-move) and use her ability, never advance. If she wants to make two attacks, she should advance and use her ability, never battle.

In fact, unless she's making zero attacks to maximize her movement, or she's spending fatigue to make 3 attacks (or 2 attacks + an order), she's actually just getting 2 free movement points every turn and calling her action by a different name. (And also gets the ability to trade one attack for 3 movement if something goes wrong, like a weak version of Grey Ker's ability). Which means that making that third attack actually costs her 3 fatigue plus the 2 free movement she'd get by advancing, but you only use that option if you think it's worth it, so her ability is at least as good as 2 free movement on any turn that she wants to make at least one attack.

Which begs a comparison to Brother Glyr's ability, which would make her significantly overpriced in my editor.

Of course, if you mess with her speed, that drastically changes the value of her ability (she loses a ton by wearing heavy armor, and she'd adore speed training in Enduring Evil). I also notice that she's about as likely to switch to a melee weapon as a 3/0/0 character is to use an off-specialty weapon, because she gives up the free movement if her weapon isn't ranged.

All of which makes me wonder how exactly you envision this character being played, and if it wouldn't be possible to give her an ability whose effects are a little more obvious (since the current ability looks superficially like it lets you give up movement for attacks, but has the practical effect of usually giving you free movement).

The fact is, ALL Descent characters already have the ability to trade off between movement and attacks - that's one of the game's core mechanics.

Your (kind of late, but still welcome) review was very insightful and hence I'll take it into account and try to find some alternative...Athough she has a split melee die, I want her to work with Ranged attacks (especially since she's the only "ranged" character of the bunch). I understand now that getting extra attacks by spending movement points is pretty redundant with Descent core mechanics. I'd like her to have some mechanic that works well with the Advance action, since it's something quite uncommon and new characters should have features that make them differ from olders. How about the following?

"When Kala the Hunter declares an Advance action, her Ranged attacks gain the Pierce 3 ability until the start of her next turn."

Considering her build at 2 CT is worth 317 BPs with Antistone's editor, and considering Bullrush (knockback when declaring advance action) and Harrier (may place an aim order whan declaring an advance action) are worth 15 and 25 BPs respectively, I don't believe this ability should be worth more than 35 BPs, hence the character should remain in the range of "acceptable" balanced characters.

Any opinion?

Lots of Pierce on ranged attacks is a bit dubious, since many ranged weapons already have automatic Pierce, which can render additional ranks worthless against many enemies.

Bonuses that only work for one attack type render trait dice in the other types less useful.

I know the melee trait die isn't really meaningful for Kala, but the same goes with Laurel's own Melee trait die (for an example), with Eliam's Magic trait dice (for another example...but Eliam is simply trash, so it's pretty pointless taking him into account), with Jaes Melee trait die (giving him melee weapons would make his ability pretty useless). Having a split die is just part of balancing of some characters and the same goes with Kala. I wanted to make these characters "classical" design with 3 dice and 3 skills. Your argument about Pierce 3 being of dubious utility is...dubious on its own. Only ranged weapons having Pierce are bows (excluding Backbiter and Magic Bow), which account to roughly 28.57% of the existing ranged weapons (besides weapons with Pierce are the least damage dealing except for the utilities giving Daze and Web), hence assuming your ranged attacks have big Pierce values on their own isn't really correct, even considering Archer's Charm and Eagle Eye.

By the way, if you have interesting suggestions, I'm really eager to hear those.

Elric of Melniboné said:

I know the melee trait die isn't really meaningful for Kala, but the same goes with Laurel's own Melee trait die (for an example), with Eliam's Magic trait dice (for another example...but Eliam is simply trash, so it's pretty pointless taking him into account), with Jaes Melee trait die (giving him melee weapons would make his ability pretty useless). Having a split die is just part of balancing of some characters and the same goes with Kala. I wanted to make these characters "classical" design with 3 dice and 3 skills.

You are under-rating the minor split dice. An improved weapon is often worth more than a single trait dice. But not as often worth 3 trait dice. So a 2/1 split is quite a lot more flexible than a 3/0 split - the minor trait has quite a decent chance of being used - especially if it is in melee. It is very common to see characters such as Jaes start with an axe and not gradute to their specialty weapons until the get copper or even silver items.
So while a single dice in a trait isn;t as meaninful as a 3rd dice in a trait, it is not anywhere near as meaningless as you suggest. Indeed, that is why it has an actual cost in the editor.
But adding an ability that will be used frequently and only works with one attack type really does make that off-specialty trait dice meaningless. Which is Antistones point. Split traits do add flexibility, even if that flexibility is less value than pure power. But having paid for that flexibility, you then rob the character of it with a focused ability. Better (more balanced) to simply not have the 3rd dice.

Elric of Melniboné said:

Your argument about Pierce 3 being of dubious utility is...dubious on its own. Only ranged weapons having Pierce are bows (excluding Backbiter and Magic Bow), which account to roughly 28.57% of the existing ranged weapons (besides weapons with Pierce are the least damage dealing except for the utilities giving Daze and Web), hence assuming your ranged attacks have big Pierce values on their own isn't really correct, even considering Archer's Charm and Eagle Eye.

By the way, if you have interesting suggestions, I'm really eager to hear those.

There are 7 items which will give a Ranged character Pierce, + 2 skills and at least 1 type of Feat.
Magic and Melee both have just 3 items (which at least partially have Pierce as a non-unique surge ability, and so controllable), and no skills or feats that I can think of.

It is not unreasonable to suggest that Ranged characters are those least likely to benefit from additional Pierce. Basically Pierce is already ranged attack's "thing", and it is something that has very limited increasing returns most of the time. That doesn't make it a terrible thing to give them an ability to get extra pierce, it might just be that there are better abilities that they could use.

You could, for example, give Kala Flexible Strike - that is a great ability for a ranged hero, allowing them to swap out a yellow dice for green when at close range and significantly improving a number of ranged weapons. You even still have room for adding in some extras, possibly even Harrier if you can fit it.

I'm not going to make Kala with Antistone's editor. I'm using it only for having a "balancing" tool while I design them, since it's a fairly good product (only exception is Annen the Traiblazer, of course). I won't remove the Melee trait die. She's a ranged, but being armed with a spear, she's due to have some minor Melee potential. Again, think of her much like of Laurel of Bloodwood. I know Pierce is more "common" for Ranged attacks than other attacks, but sincerely I didn't have any mayor ideas about how to change the ability prior to Corbon's post. How about the following?

"When Kala The Hunter declares an Advance action, she may roll an additional Green die on Ranged attacks."

With CT2 Kala's build accounts for 317BPs. Her ability should be well worth less than 43 points, considering it's limited to Ranged attacks and especially to Advance action, limiting its use unless she buys appropriate Skills.

After a night sleep I guessed the last ability I proposed was "bugged" since it had not the sentence "up to the maximum of 2 Green dice" and would hence be useless if Kala ended-up with a weapon rolling 2 Green dice.

Hence I modified it like this:

"When Kala The Hunter declares an Advance action, she may roll an additional Green or Yellow die on her Ranged attack rolls, up to the maximum of two Green dice and two Yellow dice."

Hi guys, after a while, inspired by the work made by someone else on Midnight characters for Descent, I've decide to remake all heroes from Mists of Zenaga, using Herogen 2.4. Here are the products:

spiritspeakerelgaheroge.jpg

She's similar to her previous version, but she can heal only by killing and can heal only herself...meaning her CT went down to a cute 2. Not bad at all for 363BPs. For the same BP cost, at CT3 she might have Armor 3, but should move 1 die from Magic to Melee. Another option is giving her 4CT value, than give her Armor 3, and Fatigue 5 (and all trait remain to magic), getting to a BP cost of 357. In the end I chose this first solution, but comments and opinions on the possible variants are welcome.

sakaandkutoherogenversi.jpg

In need for a situational damage bonus for this nice duo, I decided they would have to keep their fatigue to deal max damage. They have few fatigue points and tend to keep them...I guess they'll tend to make lots of advance actions...356BPs. Other better ideas?

annenthetrailblazer.jpg

He was made with Herogen 2.3 and has now moved to 2.4, so no real change there...BP367 is still in the reasonable range on my opinion. Besides, he's a fast moving nice runner, but nothing more and nothing less than that.

2runemakertaraherogen.jpg

Time for the Runemaker to crack some real bone! A fully specialized mage with decent movement dealing aimed bolt attacks for crowd control. Unfortunately her CT had to be moved up one point, going from 2 to 3...Her BP value now is 366, so she should also be almost ok.

2malikitheclawherogenve.jpg

Maliki's ability is very similar to the originally intended one. He's still a melee powerhouse with a nasty tendency to get more wounds than one would like. His BP value is 367, but again I feel like he's far from being broken.

2kalathehunterherogenve.jpg 2kalathehunterherogenve.jpg

And here are a couple of versions for Kala the Hunter. She may either gain Pierce3 on ranged attacks from 3 spaces away or the option of wielding a two-haded ranged weapon one handed. I'd appreciate any idea. Consider I'd like to leaver her stats, CT, traits and skills as they are, so she basically is left with 40-50 points to spend on abilities/perks.

Any comment is welcome! As always, thanks for reading!

Kala

why not with that ability: Once per turn, she may spend 3 movement points to make an extra ranged attack!

Saka and Kuto

In Runebound the Ranged atack does the most damge so i would give 2 ranged die and one melee die, for the ability i would give him Insightful Strike:When you make an Aimed attack, you roll dice from all of your traits (to a maximum of 5).

Maybe change it to an Advance Action instead for an aimed attack like this: When you declare an Advance action, you roll dice from all of your traits when you make a melee attack (to a maximum of 5).

Elga

i disagree in the Fighting skill, in Runebound melee is her worst trait. i found the ability before to heal one wound better, according to her ability in Runebound.

the others i will comment later.

First note: all the characters I designed this time are supposed to be entirely Herogen v2.4 LEGAL. "Original" versions have already been sufficiently discussed previously in this same forum.

Kala: It was Antistone who pointed out (in a very precise and reasoning way) how trading movement for extra attack was already a core game mechanic, meaning giving Kala a similar ability would be redundant and/or even broken. I just thought about another version for her which I'd really like you to see and comment. Like this she's 362 BPs.

2kalathehunterherogenve.jpg

Saka and Kuto: I like your proposal. They get Insightful strike...And what's more, they can even buy an additional Ranged and even 1 Magic trait die...they get very nasty like this...361BPs for a pretty strong character, on my opinion! Actually one of his two Fighting Skills could be a Subterfuge one...

sakaandkutoherogenversi.jpg sakaandkutoherogenversi.jpg

Elga's Fighting skill hasn't the "melee" flavor...but the "endurance" flavor. Actually she's a Spiritspeaker, and I believe that kind of "casters" should have solid body to withstand all those shamanic rituals connected to dealing with spirits. Hence her single fighting skill. Otherwise she's very fixed on magic. I know her previous skill was more similar to that of Runebound, but the most similar thing in Herogen v2.4 is the Vampiric Succor I gave her. I'll post her "beefy" version down here, worth 357BPs.

spiritspeakerelgaheroge.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, I always appreciate it a lot!

This whole topic has been an interesting read. Great job with the characters; I'd try them out one day, once I get them printed!