How much space does a horde occupy?

By FoxPhoenix135, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

I'm just curious how you all are representing hordes on a battlemap. Since it is abstract, it is kind of hard to get a fixed size on it, which makes it difficult to determine how and where they move during combat.

You should probably just mark an area on the map the horde occupies, depending on its magnitude and the magnitude:numbers relationship.

Cifer said:

You should probably just mark an area on the map the horde occupies, depending on its magnitude and the magnitude:numbers relationship.

That's what I have done, and I also let the horde move around single 'models' and allow single 'models' to move through the horde (though enemies still get attacked for doing so, just as if they had failed to withdraw successflly). It works OK as long as you eyeball the size and think about it during combat (do they bunch up moving through a narrow passage, etc.)

I just wish I had a better feel for the magnitude : numbers ratio.

Brother-Sergeant Cloten said:

I just wish I had a better feel for the magnitude : numbers ratio.

Seconded!!!

*waves arms above head*

"THIS BIG!"

I was under the impression that one of the reasons for the Horde mechanics was so you didn't need to use a battlemap preocupado.gif

MILLANDSON said:

I was under the impression that one of the reasons for the Horde mechanics was so you didn't need to use a battlemap preocupado.gif

Yes, however, I also tend to incorporate important leaders/NPC's that accompany the hordes into battle.

Therefore, I always use a battle map.

Some of my players have a hard time visualizing the battlefield though, so for me a battlemap is a must. I also am the painter of the group, so its the only place I can show off my latest pieces.

What seems to work for us is to designate equal portions of the magnitude to each model we have available. For example, I only have 20 nids, so if the horde has a magnitude of 40 then each model is 2 magnitude points.

I just wish I had enough models to actually represent the hordes. That'd be sweet.

My GM varies the actual numbers in a horde depending on what the individuals are. For example a 40 magnitude horde of Genestealer cultists numbered about 200 individuals. Even if we didnt do actual magnitude damage, we were still killing individuals, just not enough to make a dent.

It worked quite well, meant you didnt feel bad if you rolled badly.