Multiple Monsters in a location

By Razrael, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Finally managed my first game last night (solo with two investigators).

Had a great time but managed to get eaten by Hastur at the end.

My question is this: I had occasions where there were multiple monsters on a single location.

So when my investigator entered the area did he need to make 1 evade check or multiple checks?

Same goes for combat.

Or did I misread the rules and monsters are not allowed to congregate?

Thanks Raz

You must evade or fight each monster in turn. You can do it in any order you want. Note that if you fight even one monster your move is over, so evading one and not the other is a bit pointless in the long run unless you are getting sucked into an outworld location after your movement.

-Frank

Yea, thats what makes wendy pretty useful in my opinion. Automatic evade checks rock. cool.gif

Elric91 said:

Yea, thats what makes wendy pretty useful in my opinion. Automatic evade checks rock. cool.gif

Going totally by memory, since I don't have KH and BGG is still down, but doesn't she only get auto-evade in the Streets? That wouldn't make it any easier to enter a gate with multiple monsters on it.

Coolio, I played it right.

It got very tense towards the end when I thought I could take down the GOO. Then 3 turns into the final battle and both investigators devoured aplauso.gif

Thanks for the advice.

Raz

Frank said:

You must evade or fight each monster in turn. You can do it in any order you want. Note that if you fight even one monster your move is over, so evading one and not the other is a bit pointless in the long run unless you are getting sucked into an outworld location after your movement.

-Frank

I frequently find circumstances where I evade one monster and fight the other. If I have a weapon that must be refreshed before it is reused, if I can easily beat one monster and get something cool out of it (Mi-Go), but not the other monster, one monster is physically immune and all I have is a physical weapon, and I'm sure there are loads of other cases where it is far from pointless.

Dam said:

Elric91 said:

Going totally by memory, since I don't have KH and BGG is still down, but doesn't she only get auto-evade in the Streets? That wouldn't make it any easier to enter a gate with multiple monsters on it.

Correct - just street areas.

Street Wise
Any Phase: Wendy automatically passes any Evade checks made in a street area.

Blessed is the Child
Any Phase:
Wendy cannot be arrested or Cursed while she has an Elder Sign.

Minor
Wendy cannot gain a Bank Loan.

Nghtflame7 said:

Frank said:

-Frank

I frequently find circumstances where I evade one monster and fight the other. If I have a weapon that must be refreshed before it is reused, if I can easily beat one monster and get something cool out of it (Mi-Go), but not the other monster, one monster is physically immune and all I have is a physical weapon, and I'm sure there are loads of other cases where it is far from pointless.

Agreed. Plus there may be times a weaker investigator is going first so he tries to clear the ones he can and evade the rest and let a stronger investigator going later in turn order can kill the big boys. Evading one and not the other is a solid strategy of the game.

Yea, its just street areas, but you dont have to worry about losing movement over a combat issue, because if you are at a gate, thats probably where you intended to go, i really was referring to pre-mature movement ends

elric: Yea, its just street areas, but you dont have to worry about losing movement over a combat issue, because if you are at a gate, thats probably where you intended to go, i really was referring to pre-mature movement ends

Mageith: In addition she has a very high sneak which usually allows her to usually successfully evade at the gate, if necessary. However I don't usually risk her against several monsters at the gate because she doesn't have much stamina and sanity to spare. Wendy is awesome to be sure.

mageith said:

Wendy is awesome to be sure.

Since she starts with an Elder Sign and has high mobility, we laugh when she's usually the first candidate to become Deputy.

Here, little girl. Take this gun and car since you're clearly a badass.

Not to mention, as a direct result of her ability, If she ever has to park the Deputy car in the streets, she can automatically evade the monsters there. Doesn't this mean she's a better driver than all the adults?

Dam said:

Elric91 said:

Heh... She has focus three and speed two sneak six at the minimum ;'D Of course, give her a dark cloak, or a pallid mask and then her sneak is ridiculously high ;'D The point is... She can dodge pretty much anything... Even when she's not in the streets. Although it's not guaranteed. Blarg.

Tibs said:

Since she starts with an Elder Sign and has high mobility, we laugh when she's usually the first candidate to become Deputy.

Here, little girl. Take this gun and car since you're clearly a badass.

"...and they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA GET US!"
"HUDSON! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training. Right?"
[ Newt salutes ]
"Why don't you put her in charge?"

Heh, nice and fitting quote from the movie aliens. Just about fits this situation perfectly. aplauso.gif