The Talented Mr Space Marine

By Lacey2, in Deathwatch Rules Questions

Im sure it's proberly me just being think, but if I don't ask I will never know and how will i every get any smarter.

What is confusing me is the Chapter Advances of ‘Talented’, more precisely the Talented (Pilot [Personal]) as all I wont to know if I would be able to spend some of my starting xp on this skill even though I don't have Pilot [Personal] (either as basic or trained lvl).

I hope that makes senses, as all I really won’t to do is give my Blood Angel Librarian a jump pack.

Technically, I don't think it is available at rank 1 for anyone but assault marines (the first pilot(any) advance being located at rank 3 general table). Talented has the skill itself as a prereq. Basically, either:

A. you don't start off with it, but can work into it

B. You beg your GM for an elite advance

As a GM, I would allow a librarian to do this, but have them trade in a starting psychic power for the skill (to represent a greater focus on training with the jetpack, rather than improving their powers).

Blood Angels can start off Talented in it though, which even if you end up having to halve your Agility, you still get +10 to the roll.

MILLANDSON said:

Blood Angels can start off Talented in it though, which even if you end up having to halve your Agility, you still get +10 to the roll.

Except that, unless you house-rule it, Pilot is an Advanced skill.

Well yes, but I don't see a problem with giving a Space Marine Pilot (Personal) and Pilot (Ground Vehicle) as basic skills, since they do train at least a little with those pieces of equipment.

KommissarK said:

Talented has the skill itself as a prereq.

Are you sure?

HappyDaze said:

KommissarK said:

Talented has the skill itself as a prereq.

Are you sure?

He's not, because it doesn't. There is no requirement for the Talented... well, talent.

Yeah, sorry, assumed that without reading (or at least, I thought thats what the mechanic was in DH/RT), and didn't check the book when I said it.

MILLANDSON said:

Well yes, but I don't see a problem with giving a Space Marine Pilot (Personal) and Pilot (Ground Vehicle) as basic skills, since they do train at least a little with those pieces of equipment.

I agree with the former - it's just that it's not RAW; for the latter - SMs get Drive (Ground Vehicle) as a starting skill, so no problem there at all :)

I have a question similar to this,

For the Apothecary, it's listed that they start with Medicae as a trained advanced skill, which I understand as meaning that the skill is Trained, not Basic.

Now, the issue I am having is with the Rank 1 and Rank 2 advancements, Rank 1, Medicae 400 XP, if I were to buy that, would the Medicae skill on my character sheet go up to +10? Is the skill just listed there for redundancy/make your own specialization? Should it in fact be a +10 to Medicae, then Rank 2 has Medicae +10 for 400 XP, would that translate as +20 total if I purchased both?

hopefully it was explained well enough, I just need someone else's take on this.

Thanks.

You only get the +10 or +20 bonus by buying the specific upgrade that is called [skill] +10 or +20.

broutefoin said:

I have a question similar to this,

For the Apothecary, it's listed that they start with Medicae as a trained advanced skill, which I understand as meaning that the skill is Trained, not Basic.

Now, the issue I am having is with the Rank 1 and Rank 2 advancements, Rank 1, Medicae 400 XP, if I were to buy that, would the Medicae skill on my character sheet go up to +10? Is the skill just listed there for redundancy/make your own specialization? Should it in fact be a +10 to Medicae, then Rank 2 has Medicae +10 for 400 XP, would that translate as +20 total if I purchased both?

hopefully it was explained well enough, I just need someone else's take on this.

Thanks.

You might want to check the Duplicated Skills and Talents info on page 59.