New Ways to Kill a Troll (Official FFG .pdf with combat variants)

By Frog, in DungeonQuest

I think they should change the title. "Trolls" could be taken as an attack on fans of the original just asking for new combat variants.

I still feel that the reason for the heavy card based mechanic for combat has to do with FFG trying to increase sales on their card sleeves. I can't fault them for trying.

That's great that they released a traditional combat variant. I was looking to throw together something like that if they weren't going to. :)

Look forward to it!

Curator said:

I think they should change the title. "Trolls" could be taken as an attack on fans of the original just asking for new combat variants.

"Trolling" on the internet is the art of making deliberately inflammatory comments in the hopes of provoking critical response from readers. I find it very difficult to feel sympathy for people who go out of their way to piss other people off. If someone around here identifies themselves as such a "Troll" and takes offense at the subject of this thread, I say it serves them right. Now they know how everyone else they taunt on a daily basis feels.

People who are honestly criticizing the combat engine in DQ are not trolling. I don't think anyone like that would consider themselves a "troll" so I don't see why they would be offended by this subject line. If you express an honest opinion and someone else takes offense, that's their problem.

If someone reads the subject line of a thread in a forum and takes offense without bothering to read the body of the text to find out the context, that's just plain ignorant.

As one of those Trolls, and having been extremely vocal about how much I hated the combat system, I take offen... Ok I'm lying, I think it's great. Call me a Troll all you want in this particular instance.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of having to try and jury-rig a combat system by myself. Still hate determination tokens though... lengua.gif

Now if I can just get them to print it on that fancy glossy paper that they make the rulebook on and pack it in the box with the other rules I'd be set.

...oh, and that last bit of the sun track... I hate that too...

We played the classic variant last night and although it lacks the flavor of the deathblow/counterstrike system it did remove the occasional tedium of repetitive ties without CS in the new version. Sped the game up big time for us. We like them both, but will probably be using the classic for a bit for a change of pace. Definitely will use the new version when we play the players can attack one another variant.

Thanks for the link, Frog. Me and mine were also looking for variants, though we'd already reverted to the old dice roll system in the days of DQ v.1.

A widespread practice back then was to roll a die for the monster and one for the character. The results were cross referenced on the 3 x 3 grid by 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 respectively... and the result at the intersection on the board's combat grid was then applied the same as in using the old tiles. It was much a better option for speed of play if the number players was large.

We haven't spent enough time learning the new card system, but overall we're not loving it. We'll finish getting it down pat, and then likely dump it for something else. We're ones who don't mind long games, like Runebound. But when a combat system for a short game takes longer than a combat in Runebound, something is not right. Maybe it's just that we haven't got it down yet, but that can't be all of it.

And we always played the option of characters attacking each other in the old days, and if one was losing, it could ransom out and save its skin by letting the other take any one treasure of choice that it had.